How to tell what lower unit I have.

I have 1995 mercury promax efi, OG205338, pretty sure it's a 20" mid and the gear case has had a nose cone put on it. I have heard of only 3 merc lower unit's, a sportmaster, torquemaster and maybe a cle. So how do I tell what I got? I know it's not a sportmaster so it's on of the other two.
    Last edited by big_o_tom; 06-28-2020 at 05:18 PM.

2. Member
    cle is black with cresent leading low water pickups under nose like sportmaster , yours painted or not, got torque tab built in skeg ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Mine has a nose cone added, its primer grey, has a torque tab made it the skeg and 1.8 or 1.9 to 1 gear ratio.
    I asked a friend last night and he told me I had a torque master. He said the cle was the first version of the sport master.

4. Member
    likely 1;87 ratio , correct cle were early HP cases
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Got a picture?
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

6. Member
    I just stopped by the Norris Craft plant and Richard said that I had a standard case, 1.87 ratio. He couldn't think of the guys name that did the low water nose cone but he said it wasn't a Bob's machine job.

Titus or JC maybe?
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

8. Member
    Oh yeah about a pic... to complicated for me to post on the bbc. I'd be more than glad to text you a pic of it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I just stopped by the Norris Craft plant and Richard said that I had a standard case, 1.87 ratio. He couldn't think of the guys name that did the low water nose cone but he said it wasn't a Bob's machine job.
    shouldn't have been done to standard gearcase in first place internals not designed to run that high ,high load aplication