Setup with lithium batteries

I just swapped out my 3 AGM's for my trolling motor for Ionic Lithiums (thanks to DrewCraft). I only had my boat out for a quick test run and it's a noticeable difference. She floats higher for one. Hops on plane quicker I think. She tended to get a little squirrelly actually at higher speeds. I haven't moved any tackle or anything to balance the load yet. And I don't know how I could balance out the back with the remaining cranking AGM on one side and lithiums on the other.
    What kind of weight distribution is anyone finding works good for a 921?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

Anyone have any guidance on where to start in balancing my 921 ProXp since adding lithiums for my trolling motor?

3. Member
    Yes indeed. I run a 920 and I have all Ionics including the 125AH for cranking. I moved all my extra bags of plastics to the back port side compartment. Front center compartment just behind the butt seat is all light stuff, life vests, throwable and my emergency rope and first aid kit, that’s it. Big center box is loaded down with a mobile tackle shop. I keep all my rods in the port compartment. Rear starboard compartment has light stuff, box with dyes, box with different line, cull bag, cull tags etc. That was the trick for me and it balanced out for me. Based on your weight you may need to fill the port livewell say halfway - 1 gallon weighs 8.3lbs until you can get the weight balanced. I also don’t have to run my jackplate as high for the same results. I use to run between 17 - 20 (all the way up) and she would fly. Now I get the same results from 12 - 15. Anything higher I have to trim down a little as I raise the plate more, and then she really flies. Hope this helps.

Edit: My 920 has a SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Yes indeed. I run a 920 and I have all Ionics including the 125AH for cranking. I moved all my extra bags of plastics to the back port side compartment. Front center compartment just behind the butt seat is all light stuff, life vests, throwable and my emergency rope and first aid kit, that’s it. Big center box is loaded down with a mobile tackle shop. I keep all my rods in the port compartment. Rear starboard compartment has light stuff, box with dyes, box with different line, cull bag, cull tags etc. That was the trick for me and it balanced out for me. Based on your weight you may need to fill the port livewell say halfway - 1 gallon weighs 8.3lbs until you can get the weight balanced. I also don’t have to run my jackplate as high for the same results. I use to run between 17 - 20 (all the way up) and she would fly. Now I get the same results from 12 - 15. Anything higher I have to trim down a little as I raise the plate more, and then she really flies. Hope this helps.

Edit: My 920 has a SHO 250
    YES! The port livewell. Great idea. I pretty much did everything else and she was still squirrelly beyond 68MPH. That might do it. Thanks.

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    you have the AGM and the Oil tank so I would defiantly keep that Starboard rear box light as possible and the Port Heavy, I have found that I can stuff lots of spare plastics in the rear of the co-angler rod locker using small zipper bags and still not affect carrying 4 or 5 rods in there, that helps keep me balanced when im alone, I have the rear port full also and I move that to the starboard when I have a heavy co angler
    the balance is much easier running the lithium starting, my buddy went through it with his 920 Proxs 250, he ran just the trolling for a while and we even looked at moving the AGM over but he ended up getting the 125ah and the leveling got easy
    the front to back is no problem, just dont run to heavy up front and lower the motor just a tad.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the live well trick works great when you are alone, I used to do it a lot when I was playing around trying to go 80
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

I've have had it up to 74+ previously. Hoping to get there again or better with this reduced weight.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    the live well trick works great when you are alone, I used to do it a lot when I was playing around trying to go 80
    Definitely works. I only weigh 155lbs soaking wet and one tournament I tried it when I was fishing solo - Magic!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    I've have had it up to 74+ previously. Hoping to get there again or better with this reduced weight.
    If your running 74+ in a 921 that’s great. You’ll get back up there, you just have to play around with redistributing the weight.

10. Member
    great info, I will try the live well trick, on another note anybody know what the passenger console weighs? and if that makes much of a difference running in the single console configuration vs dual console configuration?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    great info, I will try the live well trick, on another note anybody know what the passenger console weighs? and if that makes much of a difference running in the single console configuration vs dual console configuration?
    I don’t have dual consoles but I’m sure it helps some. If you have a scale weigh yourself, remove the console and weigh yourself holding the console and calculate the difference. If you leave the second console on all the time it’s really just a matter of moving things around as mentioned above until things are “equally” balanced.

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I lay a 2ft level across the front deck when on the water when working on the side to side
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    I don’t have dual consoles but I’m sure it helps some. If you have a scale weigh yourself, remove the console and weigh yourself holding the console and calculate the difference. If you leave the second console on all the time it’s really just a matter of moving things around as mentioned above until things are “equally” balanced.
    got a scale, dont have the removable console. Will give the 2 ft level a shot

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I lay a 2ft level across the front deck when on the water when working on the side to side
    Something else to carry in the boat. Another good idea.
    I have a tournament partner that brings 75#'s of tackle, versus a friend that brings 20#'s worth. It's always been a challenge figuring out how to store their stuff.

Thanks for the tips.

15. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I keep a torpedo in there all the time 2018-05-16 09.57.17.jpg
    info@drewcraft.com

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Don't have the big setup like yall but when I got my 2 Ionic Batts from Drew figured I'd have move things around also but that wasn't the case....boat still runs like it's on rails.....still pretty smooth. .....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    its usually only the ones removing 190lb that have to make adjustments, and to tell you the truth you really dont unless you are trying to squeeze another MPH or 2
    yes it will feel looser in the A$$ but that goes away, what I like is now I can pile more crap in the back and not have to worry about the extra weight and my buddy can keep on eating all he wants
    info@drewcraft.com