1981 Ranger 189V Apache OB re-power

I'm looking at the 1981 Ranger 189V Apache with the 1982 Mercury 150 BlackMax that the seller says it's got low compression on the top (#1?), actual hours on the current one is unknown, but I would go ahead and either do a complete rebuild (not myself) or most likely, go with a re-power of a used 4 stroke motor.

The boat is located in the Southern CA area and many of the lakes do not allow 2 strokers any more, which is fine with me. I prefer not to pre-mix the oil and gas or worry about the oil injector going bad. I don't need to go 50 plus mph on the water so fast speeds is not a big issue. That being said, what would be an ideal OB and even dropping HP's is fine. The boat will be used primarily for bass fishing and the seller has a 82# working trolling motor on it.

Ideally, I prefer to spend $2,000-2,500 maximum on either a rebuild or used 4 stroke engine. Comments, suggestions, offers....

I do have a 23' salt water I/O boat but never had a bass boat before.
    Last edited by Goldfishy2020; 06-28-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: incorrect model numbers

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfishy2020 View Post
    I'm looking at the 1981 Ranger 189V Apache with the 1982 Mercury 150 BlackMax that the seller says it's got low compression on the top (#1?), actual hours on the current one is unknown, but I would go ahead and either do a complete rebuild (not myself) or most likely, go with a re-power of a used 4 stroke motor.

The boat is located in the Southern CA area and many of the lakes do not allow 2 strokers any more, which is fine with me. I prefer not to pre-mix the oil and gas or worry about the oil injector going bad. I don't need to go 50 plus mph on the water so fast speeds is not a big issue. That being said, what would be an ideal OB and even dropping HP's is fine. The boat will be used primarily for bass fishing and the seller has a 82# working trolling motor on it.

Ideally, I prefer to spend $2,000-2,500 maximum on either a rebuild or used 4 stroke engine. Comments, suggestions, offers....

I do have a 23' salt water I/O boat but never had a bass boat before.
    Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find anything close. MAYBE $2500 for a used 75hp 4-Stroke that needs some work or a rebuild, but not for a good running engine. You'd have to get very lucky.

I had a 1981 189V here in SoCal also, It was my first Ranger. Bought in 1995, Fished out of it for about 8 years.
    It was a good boat.
    Good luck on your search
    TCnSD
    Terry Chenowth
    Santee, CA

2003 Ranger 195VS
    2011 Etec 200HO
    No Problem I'm on fish...