Utility trailer spare tire blew out

I have a utility trailer that I use every now and then. I keep it stored out of the way during winter and bring it up by my house during the summer. I checked the tire pressures when I moved it and they were in the 48 to 50 psi range. I run them at 50 psi. Walked by the trailer the other day and saw that the spare tire had blown out. I bought all three tires at the same time and had mounted. The spare has never been put on the axle. Tires are Carlisle Radial Trail. I find it odd that the spare separated and not one of the ones on the axle. Anyone ever see a spare tire blow like this?

2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Sunlight kills tires. How old is it?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Over 10 years old. I used to have a cover on the spare until it cracked a year or two ago. Maybe I should get another tire and a cover for it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Over 10 years old. I used to have a cover on the spare until it cracked a year or two ago. Maybe I should get another tire and a cover for it.
    Someone will be on here shortly to tell how Carilise Tires are crap.

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I would get all three replaced.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Someone will be on here shortly to tell how Carilise Tires are crap.
    Maybe they are. That tire has 0 miles on it. I’m going to take to the tire shop and get another one or get something different for all 3.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Maybe they are. That tire has 0 miles on it. I’m going to take to the tire shop and get another one or get something different for all 3.
    Trailer tire manufacturers recommend replacing after 3 years!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I doubt everyone replaces their trailer tires every three years. My current boat trailer has the original tires on it (boat in signature). My last boat trailer had the same tires on it since new for 12 years when I sold the boat. Maybe new trailer tires are a POS and need replacing more often. I trailer my boat 500 miles or less a year. Utility trailer is used less than 100 miles a year.

Where can this info be read on a manufacturer's or some sort of official web site? Have seen it repeated here often and on other trailer sites, but no one ever has a link to substantiate it. My bass boat lives in a garage and now seldom goes more than 1 mile round trip. When a tire manufacture tells me I have to replace my tires every 3 years due to their design restrictions I will have to move on to another manufacturer, or back to non-ST tires that served me well for many years and still do. That said, I will say I recently replaced my RWL Marathons on my bass boat trailer with a set of Endurance and expect to have for more than 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    Where can this info be read on a manufacturer's or some sort of official web site? Have seen it repeated here often and on other trailer sites, but no one ever has a link to substantiate it. My bass boat lives in a garage and now seldom goes more than 1 mile round trip. When a tire manufacture tells me I have to replace my tires every 3 years due to their design restrictions I will have to move on to another manufacturer, or back to non-ST tires that served me well for many years and still do. That said, I will say I recently replaced my RWL Marathons on my bass boat trailer with a set of Endurance and expect to have for more than 3 years.
    This is all i could find. Ive always gone by the 5 year rule and that has worked for me. I did have a tire on my old boat trailer seperate literally 1 week before i was gonna replace it and it was just at the 5 year mark. I run car tires on trailers anyway and they are covred when not in use so 3 years is not happening for me. But to the OP if its that old jot surprised at all.
    https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...need-new-tires
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Going to the local tire guy tomorrow with the trashed tire and see if he can order me three Goodyear Endurance tires.

I doubt everyone replaces their trailer tires every three years. My current boat trailer has the original tires on it (boat in signature). My last boat trailer had the same tires on it since new for 12 years when I sold the boat. Maybe new trailer tires are a POS and need replacing more often. I trailer my boat 500 miles or less a year. Utility trailer is used less than 100 miles a year.
    Your tires, sir, are living on borrowed time. I’ve never had trailer tires older than 6-7 years old that didn’t start giving me problems.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

13. Member
    I think maybe some do and some don’t, I know Kenda offers a 5 year warranty on their trailer tires. I’ve always thought replacing after 5 years is the best practice.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

I had my spare tire on my boat blow a big hole this winter also, and it's garage kept. Really not sure what happen. It was an older tire but crazy it blew up with not being on the trailer.

Getting three new Goodyear Endurance tires put on tomorrow.

16. Member
    I change my trailer tires every three years no matter how good they look.

the Goodyear’s should serve you well Bob.

17. Member
    Had a spare tire for my utility trailer. Never in the sun and never mounted. It was kept in the shop out of the sun. Looked at it one day big blister on it and only 10 months old. Discount tire replaced free of charge.

18. Member
    Look at the sidewall and tell us where they were made. I am betting China. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Look at the sidewall and tell us where they were made. I am betting China. CJ
    The Carlisle tires were made in China. Got new Goodyear Endurance tires put on yesterday.