859 keeps powering down.

Unit worked fine. I moved to another spot with it on and now it does this. Same loop over and over. A couple of times the buttons did not work during this cycle. I switched the power cord from my other bird and it’s the same.
    Here is a video. (Too big wouldn’t upload)
    It powers up normally and then it shuts itself off and on again. Over and over unless I power it down. For a second it shows some psychedelic green/blue lines behind the HB logo
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Ranger Rod; 06-28-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

2. Member
    Anybody?
    I hope it is not garbage now.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

3. Member
    After some searching I found this. My exact scenario.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=457153
    1997 Ranger 692VS

4. Member
    Is it networked with a Ipilot-Link TM?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Is it networked with a Ipilot-Link TM?
    Yes it is. Just installed with a few hours on it and this happened. I’ve had the 859 for years non networked without link and it worked fine. Sounds like I need to do a software update which should be fun considering I can’t get to the menu.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

6. Member
    Try disconnecting the Link and rebooting. If it reboots, update to current software. It may be same as a previous issue with Link models and Auto Upload setting that affected the Helix models and possibly the xx9/xxx9 models as well.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Try disconnecting the Link and rebooting. If it reboots, update to current software. It may be same as a previous issue with Link models and Auto Upload setting that affected the Helix models and possibly the xx9/xxx9 models as well.
    First thing I did was disconnect everything and just use the power cord from my 1199. Same results.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

8. Member
    Should contact HB CS. If you tried power up sequence without any cards and unit was isolated from network, then something internal failed based on your initial post. Initially sounded like a power problem but if you used same power as 1199 and failed, then would assume that is good. So based on the fact it just quit working when moving to a new spot, would have to think it was coincidence and maybe something failed or became loose inside the unit. If you're not able to get past the Humminbird logo or maybe into simulation mode, then probably not anything can be done.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

9. Member
    I talked to the authorized repair shop and he thinks the board is gone and it is no longer available.
    He said to send it to him and he won't charge me if it can't be fixed.
    Do these things float? Maybe I'll just go in the middle of the lake and toss it in. Just like all the money I have spent on this boat!
    1997 Ranger 692VS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    I talked to the authorized repair shop and he thinks the board is gone and it is no longer available.
    He said to send it to him and he won't charge me if it can't be fixed.
    Do these things float? Maybe I'll just go in the middle of the lake and toss it in. Just like all the money I have spent on this boat!
    There have been previous issues posted about loose cables inside some of the models. It may be something simple that your repair shop can fix before the float test...LOL
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

11. Member
    I was able to save my 899 the other day. It would power up to the navigation aid warning and sit there. If I pressed exit it would start the looping power up stuff. I got it to the warning screen again and without touching anything inserted the SD card. it recognized the update so I went through the update initialize sequence and then it powered off. So by chance I just tried it again unplugged the power cord, took the SD card out, powered it back up to the warning screen and this time I tried the other card slot, the right side slot, I used the left the first time. Went through the update sequence again and this time it updated completely and works perfectly now. Just thought you might try this if u haven't
    Matt I
    2006 Triton 20xhp 225 Merc Pro XS
    Solix 15 G1, Solix 12 G2, Helix 12 gen4 12 gen3 , Ultrex 112, Mega 360, Mega Live

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mirons988 View Post
    I was able to save my 899 the other day. It would power up to the navigation aid warning and sit there. If I pressed exit it would start the looping power up stuff. I got it to the warning screen again and without touching anything inserted the SD card. it recognized the update so I went through the update initialize sequence and then it powered off. So by chance I just tried it again unplugged the power cord, took the SD card out, powered it back up to the warning screen and this time I tried the other card slot, the right side slot, I used the left the first time. Went through the update sequence again and this time it updated completely and works perfectly now. Just thought you might try this if u haven't
    The only way I can get to the warning screen is open up the unit and unplug the card readers.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

13. Member
    Update.
    I got my graph back from the repair shop.
    As per the invoice "Tried to reload software in various methods and finally loaded through Humpc. Test good. Check sonar and GPS and card reader functions. Good Burn in meets or exceeds spec."
    Charged me for 3/4 hr labour. With shipping both ways I'm out $110.00 cdn.
    I'm quite happy with the outcome as used units are going for $500.00 and I really don't need 2 graphs.
    Thanks
    Rod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS