Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Current pro xs oppionions

Thinking of repowering with a new 250. Been pretty quite lately or I haven't been paying attention . Any current issues like Yamaha had with making oil etc? Would 2020 be the second year of production? Is the performance as good or better than the 2 stroke? What's the warrantee I think I saw three years but I thought I have seen peaple mention five, I'm not in a hurry are there speacial warrantee thinks they offer? Thanks to all the smart bbc folks.

2. Member
    Just picked mine up yesterday had 2014 Pro Xs 250 before. Did the two hour break in yesterday like trying to hold back a race horse. Everything is better on this motor hole shot, mid range and top end. Buy one you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    Thinking of repowering with a new 250. Been pretty quite lately or I haven't been paying attention . Any current issues like Yamaha had with making oil etc? Would 2020 be the second year of production? Is the performance as good or better than the 2 stroke? What's the warrantee I think I saw three years but I thought I have seen peaple mention five, I'm not in a hurry are there speacial warrantee thinks they offer? Thanks to all the smart bbc folks.
    I’ve had one for 2 years and have 200 hours on it. Replaced an alternator and a couple of bulletins but I’d buy another without even thinking about it. They’re the real deal

On my 2019 Mercury 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke, I had a lower unit issue that Mercury would not cover under warranty. The motor was 4 months old with around 70hrs on it. The forward gear had a broken tooth on it. The prop shaft was not bent and in tolerance of .003" which Mercury states .006" or more warranty would be automatically denied. My prop did not have any damage to it and my skeg had minimal cosmetic damage to the paint only. My lower unit was shipped to Mercury for a second opinion but Mercury stated that it was from impact damage. Case closed. Insurance had to fork over 8.5K for new lower unit. Also had an alternator belt break which caused other damage to the housing etc. Serial # 2B596665.

Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    50 hours on mine and love it.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

6. Member
    50 hrs on mine with 0 issues. Great engine and get compliments at every tournament. Best sounding engine out there right now too. Not going to lie I enjoy cranking it up in the morning at a tournament and watch the heads turn
    2019 19trx w/ 225 V8 Pro XS

7. mikesxpress
    250 ProXS CMS V8 four stroke manufactured Feb 2018. Hung July 2018 as a repower from a 250 ProXS 2 stoke. Two years on it now.

It doesn't "sit you back in the seat".
    It uses more fuel than the 2 stroke. (Per Smartcraft)
    You don't have to feed it expensive DFI oil.
    You loose the weight of oil/tank and gain service well space.
    100 hour oil change (engine & LU) cost is < half of what the DFI oil costs for the same hours.
    The overall performance between the 2 is marginal.
    Repower required completely different propeller selections and settings for JP prop to pad and trim while underway all changed. (That wasn't cheap.)
    No compressor issues to deal with.
    It does sound like a 396 in a Chevell SS when it starts but very quite running.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman1 View Post
    On my 2019 Mercury 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke, I had a lower unit issue that Mercury would not cover under warranty. The motor was 4 months old with around 70hrs on it. The forward gear had a broken tooth on it. The prop shaft was not bent and in tolerance of .003" which Mercury states .006" or more warranty would be automatically denied. My prop did not have any damage to it and my skeg had minimal cosmetic damage to the paint only. My lower unit was shipped to Mercury for a second opinion but Mercury stated that it was from impact damage. Case closed. Insurance had to fork over 8.5K for new lower unit. Also had an alternator belt break which caused other damage to the housing etc. Serial # 2B596665.
    There's a Service Bulletin that outlines specific failures that are known to be caused by "Impact". Single-tooth pinion failures are one of those listed. Hate you had to go through that, but good that you were able to get back on the water.

On the subject of the Belt, probably would be a very good idea to go ahead and get the two outstanding Service Bulletins addressed (2019-009 and 2019-010). One of those may have been a contributor to the belt/alternator situation.

Overall- I've seen really good results from these engines. The problems we have seen have been predominately minor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Only 17 hrs, but so far I LOVE mine. Performs great. I like how it sounds bad@ss at startup and idle but quiets down above say 1500 RPM for quiet running. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but the shifting into and out of gear is night and day better than my 2012 Opti was. Just a click when it shifts.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    250 ProXS CMS V8 four stroke manufactured Feb 2018. Hung July 2018 as a repower from a 250 ProXS 2 stoke. Two years on it now.

It doesn't "sit you back in the seat".
    It uses more fuel than the 2 stroke. (Per Smartcraft)
    You don't have to feed it expensive DFI oil.
    You loose the weight of oil/tank and gain service well space.
    100 hour oil change (engine & LU) cost is < half of what the DFI oil costs for the same hours.
    The overall performance between the 2 is marginal.
    Repower required completely different propeller selections and settings for JP prop to pad and trim while underway all changed. (That wasn't cheap.)
    No compressor issues to deal with.
    It does sound like a 396 in a Chevell SS when it starts but very quite running.

Do you really lose the weight of the tank?? you just added it into the block. Now not having the tank is a winner in itself, especially in a smaller boat like my old Ranger RT188. Had to move the ERude tank out of the bilge just to get a serviceable size battery back there.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

11. BBC SPONSOR
    I love mine but have had some issues with faulty plug wires. Hopefully that issue is resolved. Had so much issues with miss fires its going to take me a while to feel comfortable with the motor. I know this is not a love fest reply. Just being honest about my experiences.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I love mine but have had some issues with faulty plug wires. Hopefully that issue is resolved. Had so much issues with miss fires its going to take me a while to feel comfortable with the motor. I know this is not a love fest reply. Just being honest about my experiences.
    But it's an HONEST reply.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    I think it's a good motor but I feel Mercury has choked the power band too much. I dont feel that it has the low end punch that it should.

So far I really like mine but It did cost me a tournament. Had 2 faulty sensors that the dealer had in stock and replaced in a few hours.

15. Member
    my new 2020 300 pro xs on a NITRO Z21 motor sounds like a boss 429 hemi starting up, less low end torque than my 250 pro xs 2 stroke, motor feels choked down ,burns more fuel, quieter at idle but has louder midrange roar than my 250 did, doesn't seems to have the 2 stroke midrange either I think it will be a good motor but I was really waiting to be blown away by this motor but haven't been, call me less than impressed old boat was a 2012 nitro z8 250 pro xs, this is my 7th bass boat

16. Member
    Have been running mine for a year and a half. Done routine maintenance on my own and break in as specified in owners manual. Flushed the cooling system several times as advised by Mercury and all in all i have been blessed with no issues at all. Motor has been great. Personally, for a fairly new engine, I think mercury did a great job. Sure, there are some things that could possibly be enhanced for performance or efficiency, but I don't see that as a big down fall. If you are thinking about a repower and want to run it I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. I definitely recommend them and wouldn't run any competitor engine above it.

Quote Originally Posted by sblnchrd View Post
    my new 2020 300 pro xs on a NITRO Z21 motor sounds like a boss 429 hemi starting up, less low end torque than my 250 pro xs 2 stroke, motor feels choked down ,burns more fuel, quieter at idle but has louder midrange roar than my 250 did, doesn't seems to have the 2 stroke midrange either I think it will be a good motor but I was really waiting to be blown away by this motor but haven't been, call me less than impressed old boat was a 2012 nitro z8 250 pro xs, this is my 7th bass boat
    Sounds like you have it proped wrong or motor hight off a four stroke should have a lot better hole shot and mid range over a two stroke one would think

Never mind I see now you're comparing it to the little light z8 yes a 21 foot is a lot more drag my zx200c with a 200 merc would eat my 21i with a 300 lunch for about two miles then I would catch it like going from a hemi cuda to a Cadillac i will take the ride over speed now that im old lol

Also I'm putting a 2020 300 pro xs on my 21i in a few weeks and I will let you know how it does compared to my two stroke

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter21i View Post
    Sounds like you have it proped wrong or motor hight off a four stroke should have a lot better hole shot and mid range over a two stroke one would think
    yes u would think that this motor with 2 extra cylinders almost 100 cubic inchs and 50 more horsepower would be more impressive i put lithiums in it to lighten it up have tried 7 props 24 fury 3 25 fury 4 25 bravo 1 xs 26 bravo1xs 27.5 bravo 1 xs 25 and 26 tempest best prop is 26 bravo 1 xs all around performance also have 12 in atlas jkp speed is74-75 best was 77 with 26 tempest slow holeshot tho 24 fury no bow lift 25 bravo best holeshot only 71 mph top end 25 fury 4 73-74 25 tempest 74 decent holeshot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast