Two Questions for the Kayak Guys.

I own a bass boat, but during the summer it gets nuts on the lakes with the Mad House Googan boat traffic and all the tournaments. I'm thinking of getting back to my roots in the summer season by going back to fishing the rivers. Much less traffic and you still get that "Back Country", "quite", "relaxing" feeling along with great fishing.

As far as my roots - I used to have a Coleman Crawdad that was perfect for the rivers. All decked out with everything I needed and it got me everywhere. I sold it a long time ago. (Regrets) Now I'm looking at the Old Town Sportsman 106 Powered by Minn Kota. Its small, light, stable and will fit in the back of my truck. It will also store easily in my garage next to my Triton.

Problems/Concerns are:

1) I'm worried about catching the rods in the holders behind the seat during my casts. I'd rather have them lying flat beside me (On each side of the seat), out of the way and easily grabbing one when I need it. Can it be done?

2) I'm 65. Not overly heavy but not in the tip top shape I used to be in. Will I be able to get my semi fat butt in and out of this thing without looking like a beached whale while doing it?
    Last edited by OBT; 06-30-2020 at 07:53 PM.

2. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    1: non-issue, but you can lay in front of you or use rail mounted forward rod holders

2: get a sit on top (fishing), not sit-in type; learn to board properly (youtube vids)

bonus: get pedals; I did not and split between paddle/ troll mtr

hth

3. Member
    Lots to think about when moving from boat to kayak. I actually have both, so I'll fish boat one time and kayak the next.

1. Most yakkers use a crate in the back that makes the rods to stand up straight. You CAN hit these on the back cast, but you'll quickly learn how to avoid this. You will see people on the water with eight rods rigged. If you do not like them vertical, there are ways to lay them down. The built in rod holders for most yaks are at an angle of about 45 degrees, so two can be placed there. Or you can add holders that go almost flat. This is not an issue at all.
    2. Getting in and out will not be an issue if you are reasonably flexible. Recommend that you take a demo ride. Lots of yak sellers will meet you at the lake with one or two to try out. Pre-Covid, many dealers had demo days with multiple brands. Now, you should be able to schedule a separate test ride.
    3. Website lists the weight at 104 pounds which is not considered "light". This might be a stretch to get in and out of your truck. Doable, but this might be your biggest concern. My current yak is 86 pounds and takes some effort. To load, I put the front on the tailgate, then walk around to the back and lift that. This way, I am only loading 1/2 at the time.
    4. Never been in this yak before, but test how you like the space in front of the seat. I like a yak with wide open space so I can move my legs around during the day. Does the motor get in the way? This one has a good seat which will help with that.

Again, recommend a test ride. Because of weight, I'd also recommend that you test loading into back of your truck.

4. Member
    Good advice so far. At the age of 80, I've finally sold off my last kayak. I can tell you, even though I've owned dozens of boats of all sizes during 60 years of fishing, kayak fishing can be a hoot. Nothing is more fun than landing a big red or any decent fish by fighting him/her at water's level, and then sliding the spent fish onto your lap.

You will quickly find that you do NOT need three tackle boxes and a dozen rods to catch plenty of good fish.

The advice as to a SOT (Sit on Top) for fishing is valid and important. I owned five different yaks over the last ten years or so. Everyone was a SOT and fished well...some better than others.

My too large butt (250+ lbs) and 6'2 size needed larger and more stable yaks. Don't believe the ratings that manufacturers put on their yaks. If they say 325 lbs, at my size, I wouldn't even TRY to get in it and consider it safe and stable. Allow, at the very least, 100 lbs more than your weight (with gear) before you consider a purchase. 150 lbs or more "extra" would be my target.

A Wider yak is slower...and more stable. A Narrower yak is Faster, and tippier, IMHO.

Depending on your budget, pedal yaks can be great, but won't go quite as shallow as paddle yaks. Shallow can be defined as inches of water, not feet. I never owned a pedal yak, but wished I did many times. Casting, netting, and retrieving ...all while trying to maneuver the yak with a paddle, can be a Chinese Fire Drill the first few times.

Yet, I often caught better fish with the yak than with any other boat. You really learn to work an area when you can't just blast across the lake to the next point.

You can add a trolling motor onto just about any kayak. Cheap, or expensive, methods exist all over the internet. I personally put a couple of 30 lb $100.00 MinnKota trolling motors on yaks. I used the "side-mount" which is nothing more than a 2x4 protruding out one side, with the motor clamped onto it.

IF..you decide to do that, or any time you choose to add a TM, you will quickly find that having extra excess capacity on your yak is a good thing. TMs are not light. Batteries are not light. Swinging your body around to make adjustments can be a nightmare in a marginal weight yak. Those same actions are easy in a well balanced, full sized yak.

All that said, why not just buy another Coleman Crawdad style craft and be right back where you were? I'd own one if the little lake that I have access to would allow a Trolling Motor, or, better yet, a small 1 - 3 hp. gas engine. Those "Bassmasters" or whatever have a great following if your nearby fishing locations lend themselves to their use.

Hauling, storing, and loading/unloading 100 lb or more fishing boats/yaks/Crawdads were my final downfall. At age 80, you learn there are things you ought to give up. Yet, if I had a place for a small trailer, I might still be using a yak or a small jon boat.

Have fun. richg99

p.s. I still have a 17 ft. Lowe tinny with a 50 hp engine on it. Most of the time, it is floating at a rented dock and ready to fish in minutes after I arrive at the marina. Old habits die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    1: non-issue, but you can lay in front of you or use rail mounted forward rod holders

2: get a sit on top (fishing), not sit-in type; learn to board properly (youtube vids)

bonus: get pedals; I did not and split between paddle/ troll mtr

hth
    Best/quickest advice so far. However I am not a fan of pedals for creeks and rivers...too easy to damage in shallow water with current.

Casting isn't bad at all...just have to learn how to side arm/roll cast. There are a few kayaks that allow you to lay your rods on the side...the NuCanoe Pursuit comes to mind.

As far as a river kayak, you want something not too long and wide enough to be stable. A sit on top is a must have for comfort and fishability. My current river kayak is a Jackson Yupik. It's around 12' and 35" wide...or something close to that. Wide open deck so not much to get snagged on and plenty of room to bring extra stuff with me if I decide to camp. Jackson kayaks overall were made to float the rivers.

6. Member
    Ya, sounds like you'd be better off in an open cockpit style SOT. The Yupik ∆ is an example, as is a WS ATAK, or maybe a an Old Town Predator. Jackson Big Rig or a Big Tuna would work well. Maybe even a Kilroy.

I usually only take one rod and a handful of tackle and dont wish for more when out.

Unless I plan on trolling, I leave the pedals at home in favor of the paddle. If youre considering electric power and have the money, go with the new built-for setups over a transom mount style that clamps on.

7. Member
    There are lots of places that you can rent a yak for a day for reasonable money. Any professional yak retailer probably has demos and often will apply the rent to your purchase. REI rents them out in Houston. Try it before you buy it is the best advice you can get.

8. Member
    I've got the Predator, and added two angled rod holders in a similar position to the Sportsman. I'm a sidecaster and never tangle with them, or the ones in the crate (except when I hookset a bait into them) . Get some good water shoes and plan on getting wet, rather than trying to sashay in there dry. A scupper mount cart is essential for moving my tub around (always solo & rough hilly ground).

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

Thanks for all the comments! Appreciated.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

10. Member
    I'll be 80 in a couple of months and use a kayak almost every weekend on small rivers in N GA for the same reason you're thinking about. I bring 1 or 2 rods and all my tackle in my PFD and lay the spare rod, if I bring one, in front of me. I'm small and light, less than 150, and use a 10' SOT. The only problem I have is dragging it up the bank to the truck at the end of the day.