smoke on start up

15.5 hours on mercury 2020 225 four stroke xs serial no. 2b776205. Fished club tournament yesterday motor let out a puff of smoke did this 1 time before. Do I have a problem? Spoke with a friend on the water said his 250 four stroke same year did the same thing couple times.

My 2020 250 does this also.

Trimmed all the way down this can happen on some motors, I believe you only want to be one the bottom 1/4 of the correct level. Also as far as motors go, sometimes the motor stops at just a spot where a valve is open and that one valve may drop a drop of oil into the combustion chamber causing smoke and no issue.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    my 2020 200 Pro XS 4S does it every so often for the 10.5 hours on it. It has happened trimmed down, level and up. It's happened on first start and later in the day after multiple starts. It seems to run fine otherwise.

5. mikesxpress
    Oil overfill. Do a search here. Don gave the proper level and a diagram.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Oil overfill. Do a search here. Don gave the proper level and a diagram.
    +1

Far too many of these engines are ending up OVER-FULL.

V6/V8 Engine Oil Level and Capacity

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Mine did this before first oil change straight from the dealership. Probably happened 4 times in the first 25 hours. Oil showed perfect on the dipstick. I changed oil at 25 hours drained for several hours tilting up and down, it took exactly 7 quarts to refill, new oil level shows perfect. Motor has done this once more since oil change out of approximately 50 starts.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Mine did this before first oil change straight from the dealership. Probably happened 4 times in the first 25 hours. Oil showed perfect on the dipstick. I changed oil at 25 hours drained for several hours tilting up and down, it took exactly 7 quarts to refill, new oil level shows perfect. Motor has done this once more since oil change out of approximately 50 starts.
    Just curious where is your oil level on dip stick? Thanks

Just touching the bottom of the center ball. It seems like if it was an overfill problem it would do it more consistently until oil was burned off. I know if you turn the switch on and off without starting it it can problems but that hasn’t been the case either.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info this site (BBC) is the sweetest thing for us u can find thanks for the info. Now if i can find out what bump means i will have more tech knowledge than I can image.

11. Member
    The level looks were Don says it should be.
    Last edited by biglakespecks; 07-01-2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: clarification

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    My recommendation would be to change the engine oil at or around 20 hours. 5.5 to 6 Qts of 10W30 Synthetic Blend Mercury or Quicksilver oil, follow WARM engine, tilted for 2 minutes, back to level for at least 1 minute recommendations before each check of the oil.

If problem persists after that, you really should get it in to the dealer.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor