Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do You Use A Whopper Plopper?

These really intrigue me. I can't figure out if they are a great lure or a flash in the pan. During certain situations they get bass so angry they hit these lures harder than any other lure I’ve ever used. Then a few days later, same conditions they don’t even generate a sniff. Couple things I’ve noticed:-Stopping and starting doesn’t seem to generate more strikes than a steady constant retrieve (in my experience).
    -There is a sweet spot when it comes to speed in relation to retrieve rate and plopper sound/speed.
    -The bone color is an absolute monster
    -Bass will hit these in extremely shallow water (less than a FOW) and come up from deep structure.
    -If there are weeds anywhere near this lure it will grab them.
    -Pairing these with a spook can be deadly. Whopper Plopper is great for covering water, something most topwaters aren’t great at doing. I’ve found that if I get a couple of strikes on the plopper in an area, I’ll pick up a spook and pick apart the area and get a few more fish.

All that said, I’ve had plenty of times where I strike out using them. But in the end I keep using them because the strikes they generate are so darn entertaining. Are you guys using them much and what are your thoughts?

2. Member
    I keep giving them a try but have never had much luck, I end up going back to the spook after they don't get a sniff and the spook produces.

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Won a tournament with one 3 weeks ago. What’s funny is it’s the first time I really have ever caught much on it. For whatever reason they wanted it that day. Change the stock hooks. Don’t know why but I would lose almost every fish on them until I changed the hooks.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

4. Member
    Seems to be a very situational bait for me as well. I’ve noticed that they’ll absolutely crush it on certain lakes around me, while they won’t touch it on other lakes.

5. Member
    I would definitely agree that the spook in general catches more fish. Those huge blowups keep me wanting to throw the Plopper though.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Won a tournament with one 3 weeks ago. What’s funny is it’s the first time I really have ever caught much on it. For whatever reason they wanted it that day. Change the stock hooks. Don’t know why but I would lose almost every fish on them until I changed the hooks.
    Ive heard a lot of people say that. I’ve only lost a few fish on the stock hooks though.

7. Member
    Flip a coin for the day. Some days they want a whopper plopper more, and some days a buzzbait more. The bass have to tell you.
    On herring lakes the WP is usually much better on the main water.

I just started trying them this year and so far they have produced.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    I have caught more fish on a Plopper then a buzz bait.
    Semper Fi

Hit or miss bait for me too. I have more confidence in walking the dog.

11. Dogfish_Jones
    I am still waiting on my first fish caught on one. I have the bone color and the Loon color one. I will admit I do not use them as much as some of you all but for two years I've yet to catch one using it.

They used to crush it like they slept with their momma, but I've not had a ton of luck with it the last 2 years. The OP is in my neck of the woods, maybe it's making a comeback?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Bought my first one last year. Was the 120 in Monkey Butt color. Went to lake that is close by and on first cast caught a bass. Caught about 20 or so in the next 2 hours. Went to another lake and never had a hit. Used it in northern Wisconsin and never had a hit. Went back to the original lake and caught the snot out of them. The fish I caught were bigger than average and were in both shallow and deep water. I now have a collection of the 90 and 120 in multiple colors but always migrate back to the Monkey Butt (has the look of a rainbow trout) maybe because of the confidence. They do hit it like a freight train. The other day I tried stopping it a couple times during the retrieve and that proved to be a productive move. I wait until I feel the fish before setting the hook. Have caught a lot on the outside of the mouth so they are swiping at it. Just my experience.

John

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    They used to crush it like they slept with their momma, but I've not had a ton of luck with it the last 2 years. The OP is in my neck of the woods, maybe it's making a comeback?
    I don't know if I'd say it's making a comeback. I tie one on whenever I get to the lake early morning and toss it around for awhile and a lot of times I don't get much but on the few times it's on IT'S ON. They absolutely destroy it. I usually have the most luck with it running it over main lake points but this time it was a couple on points and then one 50 sq foot area in between a couple docks that got 3 or 4 fish on it.

Like I said, it's a lure that is either completely on or completely off for me. Fun as hell when they are crushing it though.

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    For me it’s a miss or miss lure! I have 6, the 90 and 110 in the same 3 colors. I can’t say I have really given the lure every chance to produce but I use my golf course ponds to test lures and I habe never had a fish even follow the WP! My go to is a Super Spook jr. I have caught so many fish on that lure it is hard for me not to throw it.

I have a couple Ricos, plenty of other poppers and prop baits as well and they catch fish for me but the WP has me thoroughly confused! It looks and sounds...perfect! I have caught plenty of fish on buzzbaits, love them, somthis seemed like a,great lure but it hasn’t panned out for me in any way.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Member
    Use 90 size in fall for breaking bass and wipers. They kill it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I keep giving them a try but have never had much luck, I end up going back to the spook after they don't get a sniff and the spook produces.
    this..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    this..
    I've definitely zeroed with the plopper. But those days when it's on IT"S ON. That's what keeps me coming back. That and pairing it with a spook to really break down the spots that the ploppers get bit on. Deadly combo.

19. Member
    I have done better on a choppo
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    I have done better on a choppo
    That's interesting. Slightly different sound than the plopper? Haven't used the Choppo yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast