2006 Mercury 90ELPTO Optimax been sitting for 5 years

Hello, this board has been very helpful. I'm looking a buying a 2006 Track 190 TX, it has a 90 HP Optimax motor. The boat looks great from the picture for it's age. The person selling the boat, said it has been sitting for about five (5) years. I have not looked at the motor yet, a 3hour trip one way.

Should I consider the motor a loss for sitting so long? What should I expect it to cost to get it running? Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

tks, MCPO Joe

2. Member
    I guess my real question is how much should I offer her? She is asking $6000.00. I was thinking a far price for the motor would be around $2500. So, I was thinking of offering her $3500 without trying to start the motor. Since it has been sitting so long, I would rather have a marine mechanic start the motor. I feel that would cause the least amount of damage to the motor for repair. Thoughts????

3. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    if it was put up properly, should be no issue

4. Member
    ecoast, this boat was her husbands and he has passed. So, I have no way of knowing that or not. tks!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO Joe View Post
    ecoast, this boat was her husbands and he has passed. So, I have no way of knowing that or not. tks!
    then start from scratch complete tune up w/p gear oil and fuel system revamp all hoses and inj service , compression test first
    Last edited by JOE54; 06-29-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    For an Optimax that's been sitting that long I would not attempt to start without servicing the entire fuel system as there are no additives that will preserve fuel for 5yrs. I'd replace all fuel lines from tank to engine including bulb, rebuild pulse pump, remove VST, fuel rail, side and direct injectors, and send to Integrity Injection for service and validation prior to ever attempting to start engine. Without question, new plugs, water pump, lower unit lube, fuel filter, etc. Although primarily for 2.5 & 3L Optimax engines, I'd do everything in this topic that applies to the 1.5L - Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax