Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    I bought a 520 L for stability at rest and driving I do not regret it from those aspects....I know other boats are softer so that is one thing I would enjoy...

2. Member
    Had a spinal fusion 4 years ago in my lower back. They also had to cut out part of one of my vertebrae so I have a plate along with the pins and rods. Getting in and out of the drivers seat was a literal pain so I switched to a bay boat a few years ago and was the best move I ever made.

Buy a lightly used Jaguar and problem solved

4. Member
    smoothest boat I've ever been in was a phoenix 921 by far. Ranger wouldn't even be in top 4 in rough water category nor would skeeter. Champion/charger would be up near top also.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieBass View Post
    So I have owned many a bass boat in my 56 years of age.................................... I have looked hard at the Bass Cat Lynx (love their quality, customer service and trailers), but the small step up to the front deck is a no-go for me. ............................................ Any old "broke-dick" guys like me out their with late model boats they are happy with?
    Since you specify "late model" that leaves me out. In my past I had two Bass Cats. I made my own additional step in both of them due to the large step necessary to get on my front decks and I was much younger then. You can cover them with carpet from Bass Cat, they will look great. I attached them to the deck extensions.
    If the new models don't allow them to attach due to compartments or hatches that could be an issue.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 06-29-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: sppeling

I’ve had 2 different neck surgeries. Not much moves anymore. I have a couple of short rods in my lumbar spine along with some very expensive screws. Left hip was replaced right after the lower back work was done. Right shoulder has been rebuilt twice and one time on the left. Left wrist rewrked about 10 years ago and need the same done to my right. I know what you are talking About for sure. It’s comical that every bodies bass boat is the best rough water boat. I have a friend that’s has a new big Charger. If you didn’t know much about boats and let him take you out in it on a windy day with 2’ waves, you may never get in another bass boat, let alone a Charger. He should be banned from driving anything with a gas motor. I’ve owned an older Charger, and they are one of the top rough water rides. Moral to the story is driver input is very important. Because of my broke down body(the other thing you talked about being broke still works for me)I run a 21’ Ranger. Because of years of running boats up and down lakes I am a fairly proficient boat pilot. I don’t begin to say Ranger is better or worse than any other boat brand. I am secure enough in my own skin that I don’t have to talk bad about someone else’s choice of boats. There are a bunch on here that aren’t. Just pick the boat that YOU like and learn how to drive it the best you can. I think that almost all of today’s boats are just pretty dang good.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

7. Member
    Im 65 . Bought a new Ranger in 05 . Beat my neck up pretty bad . Bought a legend in 2014 and my neck has never been happier

8. Member
    Wait till you're 70 you will appreciate the smooth ride of a well built Ranger!
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Charger 210, it’s not 21’; but it’s 20’10”. Won’t find many better rough water rigs and it’s an “old man’s” boat.

^^^^. This

I have 13 years on you, major Shoulder reconstruction, roll over ( 3 times) 5 fractured vertebrae’s ( T1-T5 ) 4 back operations, rods screws, L4-L5, bad leg from motorcycle accident.

It doesn’t get easier, I have owned 3 Chargers in 30 years. If I am fishing all day, I use the fishing chair and not the butt seat. The pain never goes away, you just have to learn to live with it and manage it.

10. Member
    You are selling yourself short if you aren't considering a "multi" boat. Lower front deck to step on and off of. If you wore out, it only takes a short time to learn to fish from a front seat. Open floor plan. Harder to fall out of as you get older and safer to have grandkids in at much younger age.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Aggie Bass,

let us inject that you should consider our new Hybrid 203 hull from your description. It fits either the Cougar FTD or the Puma FTD decks and we think from your description of your wants. Also in this world today 56 “ain’t” old anymore, wore out maybe, old it is not. We sell several to folks in their 70’s and even a few in their 80’s.

Enjoying it while they can!

BCB
    Just what I was going to suggest as well.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

12. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    I’ve had 2 different neck surgeries. Not much moves anymore. I have a couple of short rods in my lumbar spine along with some very expensive screws. Left hip was replaced right after the lower back work was done. Right shoulder has been rebuilt twice and one time on the left. Left wrist rewrked about 10 years ago and need the same done to my right. I know what you are talking About for sure. It’s comical that every bodies bass boat is the best rough water boat. I have a friend that’s has a new big Charger. If you didn’t know much about boats and let him take you out in it on a windy day with 2’ waves, you may never get in another bass boat, let alone a Charger. He should be banned from driving anything with a gas motor. I’ve owned an older Charger, and they are one of the top rough water rides. Moral to the story is driver input is very important. Because of my broke down body(the other thing you talked about being broke still works for me)I run a 21’ Ranger. Because of years of running boats up and down lakes I am a fairly proficient boat pilot. I don’t begin to say Ranger is better or worse than any other boat brand. I am secure enough in my own skin that I don’t have to talk bad about someone else’s choice of boats. There are a bunch on here that aren’t. Just pick the boat that YOU like and learn how to drive it the best you can. I think that almost all of today’s boats are just pretty dang good.
    Probably the best post in this thread so far. I'll do the big Charger example with a 19' Champion in my comparison. Friend of mine and his partner fished a tournament on Chicot here in Arkansas recently and he let his partner drive his Champion 196 the whole day since this guy knew the lake. Got a little rough and that Champion was riding rough. Idiot who thinks he knows EVERYTHING didn't know that to smooth the ride out you have to trim it down, cut power, and let that giant keel cut water and this guy should know better since he used to build aluminum boats for a living for companies like War Eagle, Xpress, Alweld, and Weldbilt. He'll also run a trolling motor into the rocks and everything else on the bottom of the lake instead of pulling the rope to raise the trolling motor. That's second nature for me and my buddy especially since we have to PAY for any damage we cause. My buddy is really good at keeping most anything riding smooth since he's had back issues most of his adult life. I also know drivers who could even make that super soft riding Champion ride like a flatbottom. Look at a boat going across the lake that should be riding soft and say "man I'm glad I'm not a passenger in that boat". Bad drivers are everywhere.

All that said, if I were to buy a good riding bass boat it would be the Charger 210, one of the BassCats with the Champ hull, or maybe a big Phoenix. And like was also said in this thread there's no shame in buying a multi-species boat especially if grandkids will be involved. A deep V aluminum rig might be an option in this case. Been plenty of times I've wished I was in a Deep V rig instead of a bass boat.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    I have had four back surgeries and worn out knees. I wanted to see if I could get back to fishing after an 11 year lay off so I bought a 2003 Triton Tr20. It’s hard getting up and down and for me standing all day. I can’t fish like I used too. My biggest concern going in was rough water. I bought a Legend Le 21 new in 06. That boat was hands down the best handeling and rough water ride I’ve ever been in. Back to the Triton, even though it’s not as good in rough water as the Legend I’ve learned I just have to go slower and watch how I take wakes. Now instead of running 50 I might have to run thirty . Most boats now have a deeper keel st the bow like the legend has. If I were buying new I would give Caymus a close look. Vexus would be another for &10,000 more. I’ve always liked Bass Cat but haven seen their new boats. Personally I would stay away from the Jonny Morris boats.

Quote Originally Posted by quikcarl61 View Post
    Go look at a Caymas!!

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

If it was me I would probably buy an almost new boat and spend the money I saved on having it rigged out so I could use it comfortably. Things like shock absorber seats, aftermarket steps and maybe a grab pole to help get out of the drivers seat.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

16. Banned
    Charger 396,496,596, or would be the only one's I would consider. Everyone likes the 210 Elite but I think the Charger hull is just a little better all around.

17. Member
    I'm in your same age group. I bought a new Ranger 520L, but I just sold a Falcon 215 and I would suggest you look at one of those. It was probably one of the most comfortable boats I've ever owned and I'm on boat #15. Good luck!!

18. Member
    I will be 61 next month . Like others , I have had my share of surgeries , 3 on neck which resulted in rods supporting spine , hand , and knee surgery 2 wks ago to go along with arthritis . We are planning a move to the lake when I retire next year, so I went the other way and got a 2019 Ranger 198P . Much easier for me to handle alone than the Skeeter that I came out of . Since I don't fish tournaments anymore and will be living at the lake , I can pick which days I want to fish , not which days and where I have to fish . So along with ride and fish ability , consider something that you can handle if you fish alone any .

19. Member
    56 years old? Yer a dang kid! Just wait, you ain't seen nothin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Gungle George View Post
    56 years old? Yer a dang kid! Just wait, you ain't seen nothin'!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast