Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 150 ProXS Smartcraft Problem

Hello, I'm having a problem where my Lowrance HDS Gen 2 Touch unit is displaying a communication error when attempting to view the engine data. I have Gen2 touch units (latest SW), Mercury vesselview link (latest SW), and a Mercury 150 PROXS (SN: 2B710657).

I didn't take a picture of the actual error, but I believe I should be seeing a VVLS SmartCraft Gateway in my device list, and I'm not. Instead I'm seeing this:

AXZO7661.JPG

Here is my current setup and I'll try to help explain with pictures also:

I have a blue smartcraft cable connected at the motor. IMG_5977.JPG

This cable is routed through the boat and connects via a M-M adapter to the supplied vesselview link cable. IMG_5979.JPG
    I currently have the yellow termination on the unused connector, but I've tried it both ways without any luck.

Then the NMEA cable connects between the vesselview link and my NMEA backbone. Which I didn't take a picture of, but I'm assuming is working due to the diagnostics showing it working and other devices (like Point-1) working. IMG_5987.JPG

So, with just the key in the "ON" position, I'm getting this communication error. I saw the video posted here about changing the gateway generator from "auto" to "off", but I can't even get that far as the gateway isn't an option as seen in the first photo. I then scroll to my data sources selection screen and select "engine" and get this message "VVLS smartcraft gateway (SN) (Center) Invalid" as seen in this photo: IMG_5984.JPG. If I then try to configure this device, I then get this screen: IMG_5986.JPG which has the generator already set to "No".

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I believe the vesselview link is communicating with my Gen2 touch unit, and I'm not getting data between the motor and vesselview link, but I'm not sure either.

Thanks for your help!!
    Last edited by Sputs10; 06-28-2020 at 09:03 AM.

2. Member
    Wrong boards Sir, your motor is not a 3.0 liter.

3. Member
    My apologies if I'm incorrect, but a sticker on my motor and the mercury website says otherwise:

A snip from mercury marine: Capture.PNG

4. Member
    Your motor IS a FOUR STROKE, not a TWO STROKE, 3.0 Liter.

5. Member
    So now you agree that my motor is a 3.0L, because your first message didn't say that? Also, the title for this was:

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L motors (including XS and ProXS)

My motor is a ProXS 150 4 stroke, 3.0L. If my question should be asked in the 4 stroke page, then my apologies and hopefully a moderator will see this and move my question. I guess I got confused by the "Including ProXS" part. I'll see if I can move it without a moderator.

Thanks for your help with my smartcraft problem.

6. Member

2020 150 ProXS Smartcraft Problem

Hello, I'm having a problem where my Lowrance HDS Gen 2 Touch unit is displaying a communication error when attempting to view the engine data. I have Gen2 touch units (latest SW), Mercury vesselview link (latest SW), and a Mercury 150 PROXS (SN: 2B710657).

I didn't take a picture of the actual error, but I believe I should be seeing a VVLS SmartCraft Gateway in my device list, and I'm not. Instead I'm seeing this:

AXZO7661.JPG

Here is my current setup and I'll try to help explain with pictures also:

I have a blue smartcraft cable connected at the motor. IMG_5977.JPG

This cable is routed through the boat and connects via a M-M adapter to the supplied vesselview link cable. IMG_5979.JPG
    I currently have the yellow termination on the unused connector, but I've tried it both ways without any luck.

Then the NMEA cable connects between the vesselview link and my NMEA backbone. Which I didn't take a picture of, but I'm assuming is working due to the diagnostics showing it working and other devices (like Point-1) working. IMG_5987.JPG

So, with just the key in the "ON" position, I'm getting this communication error. I saw the video posted here about changing the gateway generator from "auto" to "off", but I can't even get that far as the gateway isn't an option as seen in the first photo. I then scroll to my data sources selection screen and select "engine" and get this message "VVLS smartcraft gateway (SN) (Center) Invalid" as seen in this photo: IMG_5984.JPG. If I then try to configure this device, I then get this screen: IMG_5986.JPG which has the generator already set to "No".

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I believe the vesselview link is communicating with my Gen2 touch unit, and I'm not getting data between the motor and vesselview link, but I'm not sure either.

Thanks for your help!!

7. Member
    Posted in the 4 Stroke forum... Moderator, please delete.

My apologies and thank you!

8. Member
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Oops, you said you can’t get that far.

10. Member
    Those boy will take care of you.

11. Member
    Yep, thank you for your assistance though MichaelJ3! I don't have a Gateway option to change. I did have to pull the pins out of the cable to route through the outboard and boat, but I took pictures and ensured every pin went back where I removed it from.

I'm wondering if the latest Lowrance SW (6.0) is not causing me any problems? On the Lowrance download webpage, there is a note that mentions Gen3 displays. I'd like to go back to an older version, but I only see 4.0 listed on the website and I believe I need 4.5 or greater for Smartcraft Vesselview integration.

12. Member
    I forgot to mention that with the ignition key "off" and HDS powered on, the vesselview link doesn't appear in my device list. When I turn the ignition key to the "ON" position (motor not running), the vesselview link appears in my device list after approx. 20-30 seconds. With this, I believe the vesselview link is receiving 12V from the motor and powering the vesselview, but I'm still not seeing a gateway.

Is there a way to test the CAN bus to ensure the motor is transmitting data?

Thanks again!

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving to the 4-stroke forum.

FIRST QUESTION: Where (or from whom) did you obtain the components for this setup?

Why do you have TWO terminating resistors at the CONSOLE end of the setup?

Have you checked the following:

Vessel View LINK communication problems with Lowrance?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Don,

First, thank you for moving to the correct forum. To answer your first question, both the smartcraft cable (84-879982t20) and vesselview link were purchased from a fellow BBC Member. The cable was supposed to be new as it was only used for troubleshooting purposes, and he assured me the vesselview link was tested on his boat before listing. He has been texting me, calling me, and we even did a Facetime call to try and help answer this question. He's also offered to give my money back if we can't get this setup working, so I don't believe he sold me a defective unit. Just a note... he speaks very highly of you!

To you second question, I believe you're referring to the terminating resistor in the cable, as well as the yellow terminating resistor that I installed onto the "system link" connection? This was just a last ditch effort to try something different. When the picture was taken that resistor was still installed. I tried it with the resistor removed also, and was getting the same communication error and lack of a gateway on my device list. I can assure you it isn't there currently. If I'm mistaken on the terminating resistors, please correct me.

Also, to your question about trying that link you posted... after the user selects "device list", he then selects the "gateway" to configure it. I don't have a "gateway" on my device list to even attempt this. I believe the first picture I attached shows what my device list is currently.

Thanks for your time Sir!

15. Member
    Don the vessel view came from me, Andrew Mowery. hooked up and worked fine before I sent. I have said if we can not get it to work it can be sent back to me. Just want to make sure we try all the options first.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for clarifying- just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of the many floating around on a couple sites we don't support.

Your G2 Touch appears to see the Vessel View Link in the Device List (as best I can tell).

Is your entire NMEA-2000 network back-bone located under the console? I'm wondering if perhaps you have something there that is not properly configured.

One other thought: When you do get to the Device in the device list (where it says "Is Generator"): Change the Instance to "001" and change "Is Generator" to YES. Save.

Go back in and reset the "Is Generator" to NO and save.

Leave the instance to 001 if possible. Any difference?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Don, I believe I'm having another issue that is preventing me from even getting that far now. I think I hit “reset to factory defaults” in another last ditch effort and now the address for my vesselview link displays a 0. In talking with Andrew, he sent me a picture showing his vesselview link is at address 1 and his gateway is at address 2 when viewing the device list. I can only see the vesselview link, but believe it was at address 1 when I was able to see what I sent earlier in those pictures. Now that I have a 0 in that address field, I can’t even get that far.

Do you know how to set this back to 1? It doesn’t appear to be a selectable/changeable field. IMG_6016.JPG

Also, in the mean time, I’ve borrows a buddies Vesselview mobile and connected directly to the motor and was able to receive engine data. I then reconnected the smartcraft cable to the motor and moved the vesselview mobile to the other end of my smartcraft cable and M-M adapter under the console and again was able to receive engine data, so I know that connection is good and working.

I’ve removed everything from my NMEA network other than the vesselview link, power, and cable to the graph, however I’m getting the same result.IMG_6013.JPG IMG_6014.JPG

Thank you again Sir!!
    Last edited by Sputs10; 07-03-2020 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added pictures

18. Member
    When you removed your NEMA 2000 items, did you leave the termination resistors on each end?

NVM, see them on there.

19. Member
    One stupid question...do you have compatible software on the VVL and Lowrance graphs? I know you said the VVL and the Gen2 Touches have the latest SW, but are those two compatible with each other?

Latest FW for VVL is 20.1-63.1.291
    Latest FW for Gen2 Touch is 6.0-54.2.46

Im suspect if these two are compatible with each other, but only Lowrance and Mercury can answer that.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 07-03-2020 at 07:40 AM.

20. Member
    Michael, I have the latest SW installed on both, but I as well would like to know if they are compatible. Not sure how far I’ll get, but I plan to call Lowrance on Monday.

Anybody have older Lowrance SW that I could try? The website only has 4.0 and 6.0 and I don’t believe smartcraft was integrated into 4.0.

Thanks for your assistance Michael!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast