Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I too think you need to confer with Lowrance as to whether those two versions are compatible.

Let's get a "check" that each item is properly powered up when you're looking for the Vesselview & Gateway:

-Graph powered up

-NMEA-2000 Power Node powered up with good fuse

-ENGINE key in the ON/RUN position, with the LANYARD IN THE RUN POSITION.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Thank you Don. I tried calling this morning, but they were closed for the holiday. I’ll call back on Monday.

To answer your question, yes to all three as far as I can tell. The graph is on, I believe the NMEA is powered without issue because my point-1 is functional and the diagnostic screen shows the NMEA bus on and functional, and lastly, yes the key is in the ON position. With the key in the OFF position, I don’t even see the vesselview link in my device list at all. So I believe the answer to all three is yes.

I plan to call Lowrance on Monday to see if they have any answers. I’ll let you guys know what their response is. Thanks again!!

3. Member
    I’d think you need a VVL software that is 6.0 level...but I’m no expert on these software versions
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    Quick update (if you want to call it that)... Called Lowrance this morning and chose the "call back feature". Within 5-10 minutes a gentleman named "Rocky" calls me. I explain my address 0 problem and ask if they have any information which SW versions work with the VVL and a Gen2 Touch unit. He asks to put me on hold for 2-3 minutes to figure out what's going on... after 40 minutes of being on hold, the call ends and asks that I complete a survey.

So, I've got another call in and an email... still waiting.

Also started a thread on the Lowrance page asking for anyone that has a similar setup and is functional to provide me their SW revisions, so I'm hoping to find someone that can help tell me which SW versions are compatible.

5. Member
    Honestly, I would consider calling the Merc Customer service number, they are more likely to have an answer as to what ver of VVL is compatible w/ what ver of HDS and HDS software.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That may not be quite as easy as it sounds... as some of the updates fell out of "sync" earlier this year (causing problems with some features).

Sputs10: I know it DID work previously because I personally rigged about a 1/2 dozen of those units with Vessel View and set up the system for basic functionality.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don, thank you for that information. I'm glad someone else has seen a Gen2 touch unit work. I've searched and found another BBC post about a Gen2 touch unit that was working properly with a VVL. I've PM'd this member in hopes he/she still has this setup and can read off which SW versions they are using.

Also, after 2 more Lowrance phone calls and their service rep telling me that Gen2 touch units are not compatible with VVL and that compatibility didn't start until Gen3, to which I replied that the Lowrance website and the Mercury website says otherwise... she finally spoke with an "expert" and then replies that my units should be compatible but with limited functionality.

Last night I tried 2 older SW versions (18.3 and 19.1) for the VVL, to which both had similar communication issues, and Lowrance is telling me that I have to have 6.0 installed on my Gen2 touch unit or else it won't be compatible at all, and I do have 6.0 installed.

Back to today... I called Mercury technical support and the lady I spoke with today was soooo much nicer, friendlier, and willing to help. She sorta patched me through to their smartcraft expert (she was just a liaison between us) and was able to address a few of my questions. The smartcraft expert is working from home currently and conveniently has an in-home setup to help solve these problems. He said that his setup also shows address 0 in his device list, so I don't believe that's an issue anymore. After going through a bunch of setup questions and such, he believes either the VVL or cable is defective. Thankfully the seller of this module is going to let me ship the box/cables back to him to confirm in his boat. If it works in his boat, then I'm back to bothering Mercury until we get it working in mine.

Thanks again for your help guys!!

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12