My Experience installing Smartcraft Tach

I have a 2018 Princecraft Tritoon with a Mercury 4 stroke 150Hp motor. The boat came with analog trim, tach and fuel gauges. I had the Vesselview Mobile device under the cowl and wanted to install the Smartcraft tach and keep the analog gauges. The boat has a 14pin engine harness to the helm and the analog gauge harness plugged into the purple 10 pin connector. Here are the questions I had and the answers:

1. Will the analog gauge harness continue to work if plugged into a J-box?
    2. What cables are needed to install the tach, analog gauge harness, and Vesselview Mobile device at the helm?

Question 1: Yes, the analog signals pass thru the J-box to the gauges. (I could not find any pinouts for the 10 pin Smartcraft connector and had to figure it out from the analog harness. See attached file.)
    Question 2:
    The SC1000 tach comes with it's own cable and plugs into the J-box.
    The Vesselview device plugs into the J-box.
    The helm end of the engine harness has a female 10 pin connector that the analog gauge harness (Female) plugged into. The engine harness connector plugs into the J-box.
    The analog gauge harness is a male and will NOT plug into the J-box without an adapter. (84-892453A01 10 pin female to female)
    I used a 6 port J-box and after plugging a resistor into one port, I have one spare port with a cover.

After plugging everything in, I turned the key and all is working. I now have a digital tach, (which also indicates trim position), and an analog trim indicator and fuel gauge.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

Moving your thread to the 4-stroke Forum (correct forum for your engine).

Vessel View Mobile can be plugged into one of your open ports on the J-box.

The tach should have it's own harness, already plugged into the J-Box.

Analog harness can plug into J-box with a female-female adapter, but if you start adding accessories such as a Fuel Harness, you will not be able to use an analog fuel gauge.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor