2005 HD20 Gas Tank in Console??

Hello this is a first post hopefully the picture works.
    In December I bought a lightly used (120hr) Xpress HD 20 and I love it. I have so many great things to say about this boat. But I do have a concern that I need some help with.
    my boats Fuel tank is located inside the center console With all the electrical for the boat. What is concerning is that Xpress relocated the tanks in later models. Anyone have any input that might help me keep the kids and the fishing buddies safer? Am I riding time bomb? Because it rides awful nice. Thanks.

Last edited by 386Fisher; 06-27-2020 at 01:25 PM.

2. Banned
    I would think that the tank would be located in the floor and that's just the fill line running through the console. My X19 fill line runs right next to my trolling motor batteries and onboard charger, wires etc.. I'll bet that they moved it on later versions of your boat just based on filling convenience not a fire hazard.

3. Member
    Yep the fill tube is about 12" heading downward and the tank is lowered into the floor of the boat under the console but only by about 4". The top of the tank is still only a foot below all the wiring. And besides the rod holder holes in the console I cant find any ventilation. I was considering taking the boat by a nearest coast guard station and having it inspected for this. But was wondering if anyone was familiar with this set up and any potential needed mods to make it safer. Thanks.

The tank is sealed. The only vent will be a pressure relief in the cap. There are no fumes to be concerned with- every boat has a gas tank located with electrical components- usually way more than you have like in the battery compartment. You can look on the uscg regulation site about the fuel tank regulations these days. A search for “grade valve” or “demand valve” may help you find the section

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

But i agree thats the dumbest location for a fuel fill ive ever seen. Id move it only for that reason.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    But i agree thats the dumbest location for a fuel fill ive ever seen. Id move it only for that reason.

I was advised by a helpful gentleman on a FB boating group that changing the positions between the fuel tank in the console and the three batts in the large back compartment could give me better balance/performance. Please if anyone has any input regarding that would help.

And good news im stripping the bed liner interior due to bubbles and worn out areas and spraying a colored raptor liner in her this winter when it cools down. So ill be removing the console for its own paint touch up and thats when Ill put a shiny new aluminum tank in the back hatch and relocate the three batts into the console with all the other electronics. Also will be painting the outside, adding a manual jackplate etc. RAM based flounder gigging light set ups and ill be documenting it right here in the xpress forum. I really like this boat and im excited to share the experience of fixing her up to get others excited. Ill also be selling her within a couple years after restoration to buy a X23 Bay which I will hold onto until the kids grow up hopefully.

Alli ss, thank you for helping me be more assured that im not riding a bomb for now.

No danger just keep on riding. They wouldnt have put it there if it wasnt safe