Electronic fuel pump question on xri 175

Hi guys, I’m currently working on cleaning up some of the fuel system before I try to start my motor. I’m not sure how long the boat has been sitting, but my guess is a couple years. I drained the fuel from the fuel pump float bowl, and the fuel was Nasty. I removed the fuel pump and connected it to a 12v battery with jumper wires, and it did not spin. I continuously reversed the polarity and finally got it spinning. I tried to see if the pump would pump some sea foam cleaner through it, and put the fuel line in the can. But no matter which side of the pump is in the seafoam, or what polarity I try, it spins but pumps no fuel. Shouldn’t these pumps be able to pump fuel through itself, or does it only work in conjunction with the primer bulb and mechanical diaphragm pump? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    You may need the primer bulb to prime the fuel into the pump to get it started, does your motor also have pulse pump that feeds the electric pump, some EFI motors do.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    that pump will not pull fuel from tank needs pulse pump and primmer bulb for proper operation , you need to replace pump and brass check valve in vst from oil pump
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................