Thread: Towing BassBoat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Towing BassBoat

2002 Chevy 5.3 Subarban what gear does every one tow in , when pulling there 20 ft bass boat loaded ?
    Went on line and it said you can leave it in (D ) or pull it down to 3rd and have the tow mode on ?
    Was just wondering what every body else use .
    Thx

Probably better to tow in 3rd with tow haul on. Will keep it from “ hunting” for the right gear and constantly up shifting and downshifting.
    Mileage may even improve.

3. Member
    Pretty flat roads around here so I just stay in Auto with tow off.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I tow out of overdrive. Whatever gear that may be for your vehicle. Never used the tow haul option as I never thought a bass boat was heavy enough to warrant that.

Leave in drive (D) and use tow/haul mode.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Leave in “D”. Tow option if it gets a little hilly. If flat, wouldn’t worry about it. Bass boats aren’t that much of a load, especially on a flat road.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    Just use drive unless towing in very hilly terrain, then switch on tow/haul mode. More to help with braking then pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    Leave in drive (D) and use tow/haul mode.
    this

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Leave in “D”. Tow option if it gets a little hilly. If flat, wouldn’t worry about it. Bass boats aren’t that much of a load, especially on a flat road.
    This^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    REALLY ??? Any time you TOW a boat, or anything over 1000 lbs you should use the Tow Mode !! The computer is way smarter than you and will use the appropriate gear !! Plus, it gives you a "Jake" brake mode when going downhill !! Brake down to the speed you feel safe and it will hold you at it. NEVER tow without it !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

1+
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    I tow out of overdrive. Whatever gear that may be for your vehicle. Never used the tow haul option as I never thought a bass boat was heavy enough to warrant that.

Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    2002 Chevy 5.3 Subarban what gear does every one tow in , when pulling there 20 ft bass boat loaded ?
    Went on line and it said you can leave it in (D ) or pull it down to 3rd and have the tow mode on ?
    Was just wondering what every body else use .
    Thx
    I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L with the 4L60e transmission and 4.10 gears (34 inch tires) that I tow my bass boat with weekly. I also have a 2002 Tahoe 5.3L with 4l60e and 3.73 gears (stock 30 inch tires) that gets used to pull the family ski boat. I pull my 20 ft Stratos in 3rd gear with tow haul mode on. I was told by a transmission shop years ago when I had a 700R4 rebuilt to never, ever tow anything in overdrive as it will burn up the clutches. The 4l60e is the exact same transmission as the 700R4 but electronically controlled. I have followed that advice religiously and currently have over 340,000 miles on the original transmission, so I'd say that is pretty good evidence. I get about 2 miles per gallon less in 3rd gear, but the engine stays in its power band and the transmission does not have to shift back and forth hunting for the right gear.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    REALLY ??? Any time you TOW a boat, or anything over 1000 lbs you should use the Tow Mode !! The computer is way smarter than you and will use the appropriate gear !! Plus, it gives you a "Jake" brake mode when going downhill !! Brake down to the speed you feel safe and it will hold you at it. NEVER tow without it !!
    Odd been pulling boats for almost 30 years and have never put a vehicle into tow mode pulling a bass boat with no problems what so ever.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Pretty flat roads around here so I just stay in Auto with tow off.
    Same here. If the engine is not lugging keep it in OD and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Wow. Sounds like someone got up on the grouchy side. First off, I’ve never had an issue all the years I’ve towed. Plus all my vehicles in the past before the tow button was invented seemed to do just fine. Flat ground isn’t an issue, but I do recommend in hilly terrain like I stated.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

16. Member
    Seems like 3rd is a 1-1 on those GM 4 speeds? If so, that’s what I’d tow in unless you have a 4.10 rear end.

17. Member
    leave it in drive with the tow haul on.

thissssss

18. Member
    There is a reason your vehicle has "tow" mode on it. Think about it.

19. Member
    Select 3rd gear or tow haul, just don't tow in overdrive.

rchavis lives on purdy flat ground...I’m bout 40 miles east of him. Even flatter hear. I actually tow in OD with no issues. Never used tow haul unless the car hauler is hooked up with a car inside. Then D with the tow haul engaged.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast