Transducer on set back

Hey guys. I’m getting ready to start installing new graphs on my 488VS. Have any of you had any luck with installing a 3 in 1 type transducer on the underneath surface of your set back? I’d really like for my 2d to read bottom on plane but I just don’t see how I’m going to be able to place a transducer on this transom to make that happen. If it’s not possible then the bottom of the setback will at least allow downscan and sidescan an unrestricted view and put the transducer in a spot where I don’t have to have much of the wire flopping around back there before I get to a place to secure it to the motor mount. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Side scan/down scan transducers work good under the step and for regular sonar for running at speed install a transducer in the bilge near the drain plug.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Side scan/down scan transducers work good under the step and for regular sonar for running at speed install a transducer in the bilge near the drain plug.
    +1, just installed one, will not work when it gets up to speed, gotta have one in the bilge. Wayne, the humminbird guru told me that beforehand. He’s an expert on the birds.

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    exactly. Put it under the and as far under as you can get. I messed up and didn’t put it far enough back so I have to be careful of the transom saver unless you use another style other than traditional.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    exactly. Put it under the and as far under as you can get. I messed up and didn’t put it far enough back so I have to be careful of the transom saver unless you use another style other than traditional.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Are guys attaching straight to the gel coat, using a bracket, screwing to a piece of starboard?

6. Member
    Mine have been screwed direct the the fiberglass.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

7. Member
    Ok, I pulled the trigger on the ti2 12. I bought the one with the y cable and the separate 2D transducer. I'm thinking I want to mount to the bottom of my step. I'm only seeing 1 option as far as a bracket for this. Looks like it's just painted metal. Is this what guys are using? Thanks.

8. Member
    Do you have a jackplate on your boat?

9. Member
    If it is hanging below the hull, be careful when any debris like chunks of wood are floating or transducer will be hanging on the wire.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Do you have a jackplate on your boat?
    No sir

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    If it is hanging below the hull, be careful when any debris like chunks of wood are floating or transducer will be hanging on the wire.
    I hate mounting transducers! I think I could possibly go to the left or right of the live well intakes and get a reading at higher speeds but, like you said , I could knock the transducer off hitting a stump or debris.

I think the next option is the step. I don't know if I should mount to the underneath (horizontal) area or the vertical area.

I always feel like I'm gonna screw up the install. 20200702_151931.jpg20200702_151917.jpg20200702_151844.jpg

12. Member
    I have mine installed under the step as I don't have a jackplate either. I don't get readings on plane but have in hull 2d for that. I don't like screwing holes in my boat under waterline. I used the Stern Saver to mount my 3 n 1 ducer. The Stern Saver uses epoxy and mounts to under side of step. You then use given screws to mount bracket. I was skeptical at first that it would fall off. However 2 years later and its not going anywhere. Just my 2 cents.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjncjn View Post
    I have mine installed under the step as I don't have a jackplate either. I don't get readings on plane but have in hull 2d for that. I don't like screwing holes in my boat under waterline. I used the Stern Saver to mount my 3 n 1 ducer. The Stern Saver uses epoxy and mounts to under side of step. You then use given screws to mount bracket. I was skeptical at first that it would fall off. However 2 years later and its not going anywhere. Just my 2 cents.
    When you say under the step do you mean the horizontal or vertical surface? The vertical surface above the drain hole? Thanks.

14. Member
    Mine is installed under the step. Used a transducer shield and saver.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rivertrail View Post
    Mine is installed under the step. Used a transducer shield and saver.
    That transducer shield and saver set up is nice but there's no way I'm paying that much for it!