Thread: Reel ratio

Reel ratio

Whats reel ratio to use with deep crank baits

I use a slow speed reel - 5.4:1 Abu Garcia Orra Winch. It has the extended bent handle that helps reduce the resistance from the lure.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

I use from 5.1:1 to 8:1. I’m more worried about rod selection than reel ratio. In the old days, the lower ratio was preferred. But with the new reels, that’s all changed.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

4. Dogfish_Jones
    I have a Daiwa 4.9/1 for my deep cranks.

5. Member
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Member
    I agree with WVBullet. I use mid-range 6.4 to 7.1 but rod selection is more critical.

7. Dogfish_Jones
    You guys must have a lot more stamina than I do to crank deep divers on anything above a 6.3-1 reel.

Slow 5.4/1 or so
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Thanks guys

10. Banned
    6:1 or higher but the biggest baits i throw is a 6xd or megabass deep six

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    You guys must have a lot more stamina than I do to crank deep divers on anything above a 6.3-1 reel.
    Like mentioned, the gears in newer reels aren't like the older reels, any fatigue I suffer comes from the hand I hold the rod with (left) not my cranking arm

I generally crank down then start a retrieve pattern of lift rod to pull lure then reel down on a no slack line as the lure rests. I use a lot of suspending baits that work well on this retrieve. More than half the strikes come while lure rests. It works well and makes reel ratio not as important because you are pulling the lure with the rod, not winching it with the reel.

13. Dogfish_Jones
    I fish today and threw deep cranks for a few hours and my 4:9-1 reel works perfect. I never tired out and even caught 5 or so 3+ pounders in the creek channel. They were hugging the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I generally crank down then start a retrieve pattern of lift rod to pull lure then reel down on a no slack line as the lure rests. I use a lot of suspending baits that work well on this retrieve. More than half the strikes come while lure rests. It works well and makes reel ratio not as important because you are pulling the lure with the rod, not winching it with the reel.
    I use this same technique quite frequently myself.

I fish today and threw deep cranks for a few hours and my 4:9-1 reel works perfect. I never tired out and even caught 5 or so 3+ pounders in the creek channel. They were hugging the bottom.
    Those are good fish! There’s nothing in the world wrong with 4.9:1 ratios or low 5’s. It’s what you like. I have a buddy that likes the slower ratios and have half way turned him to higher, but he still hangs on to the slower. His issue is reeling at the same speed all the time. He wants to reel slow using cranks and prefers the slower ratios. I told him that wrist of his does turn at variable speeds . But seriously, the newer reels have changed to the point where you can get power out of the higher ratios without sacrificing any speed when you need it. But as all things, it’s all preference and what you feel comfortable using.

16. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Those are good fish! There’s nothing in the world wrong with 4.9:1 ratios or low 5’s. It’s what you like. I have a buddy that likes the slower ratios and have half way turned him to higher, but he still hangs on to the slower. His issue is reeling at the same speed all the time. He wants to reel slow using cranks and prefers the slower ratios. I told him that wrist of his does turn at variable speeds . But seriously, the newer reels have changed to the point where you can get power out of the higher ratios without sacrificing any speed when you need it. But as all things, it’s all preference and what you feel comfortable using.
    I only use the 4.9:1 just for deep cranks. If I fish shallower than 15’ I move up to a 6.3:1 or even higher gear ratio. I keep my worms, jigs and shallow cranks around the 7.1:1 or higher.
    Using the 4.9:1 on deep divers, meaning 15 to 25’ it feels just like reeling a shallow crank bait. The only difference is when it gets to the boat, you have to pretty much reel straight up for it to come to the surface.

I only use the 4.9:1 just for deep cranks. If I fish shallower than 15’ I move up to a 6.3:1 or even higher gear ratio. I keep my worms, jigs and shallow cranks around the 7.1:1 or higher.
    Using the 4.9:1 on deep divers, meaning 15 to 25’ it feels just like reeling a shallow crank bait. The only difference is when it gets to the boat, you have to pretty much reel straight up for it to come to the surface.

18. Member
    I primarily fish a 3,300 acre lake that's highly pressured. I used to use nothing but 5:1 ratio reels and caught em good on crankbaits the first half of the year. Then that bite would die, until I started using a 7:1 ratio and burning the fire outta the bait. The clearer and warmer the water, the faster. I think most of the other guys are still using slow reels because on the best days I've had cranking, theyre all slinging the rig out deep.

19. Member
    Also a spool full of line will provide the reel line pickup rating.
    less line on spool, less line pickup per handle crank.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    5.4 or 6.3

I don’t burn my cranks like AK does, I like a slow steady retrieve but my buddy is all about speed. With both of us in the boat we know which retrieve the fish want any given day pretty quick!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV