Thread: Beaver Island?

Beaver Island?

Anyone ever make it out to Beaver Island to smallmouth fish? Looks like a cool place to check out, though I know taking the ferry out there is probably the way to go

Ive always wondered too!

3. Member
    There has to be some swimming around it. Pretty much any island in Lake Michigan has them!

4. Member
    I was tempted many times to make that run from Charlevoix. Still want to someday. Would really have to watch the weather.

A guy I used to work with, His dad ran the ferry to Beaver Island for his job

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    I have always wondered about north and south fox. Dad took his 32 Baja out there a few times said he saw big schools of fish shallow but didn’t know what they were. Just not sure I dare run that far in a 18ft champ.

7. Member
    I saw a show quite a few years ago where they were fishing Beaver Island for smallies. They said it was some of the best untouched bass fishing in the country. I can't remember what show it was maybe the Linders or Babe Winkleman. They also said that it was very hazardous because of all the boulders just under the surface.

8. Member
    I got that wild hair a few years back. I’ve made the trek 6 times and fished for 2-4 days over the last 4 years. I’ve caught fish but it’s not what you would think. It’s never been epic. I’ve done immeasurably better in Bay de Noc, Marquette Island, Thunder Bay, and Traverse Bay’s. Some migrate to bed there but it’s never been lights out. I’ve got into the nastiest waves that came out of nowhere I’ve ever been in when you get out in the middle. 6 inches of water in the bottom of the boat and both bilge pumps going nasty. I’ve also been stranded there for days waiting for the wind to die down to go back. Wind forecasts are a crap shoot in the middle of Lake Michigan. It’s a beautiful place but it’s more for the adventure than numbers and size. The carp are everywhere if your into that scene.
    Last edited by Craigjc00; 07-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.

9. Member
    Even the NOAA Bouy's? I figured they'd be fairly trustworthy.
    https://glbuoys.glos.us/45183

Sounds like everywhere else. It's all in the timing.

10. Member
    Youtuber apbassin just did a lake michigan trip is his bass boat leaving from Chicago and going north around lake Michigan and one of his stops was beaver Island, the fishing footage was amazing and he said they caught a ton of fish.

11. Member
    I remember some written articles (yep, that old) in Michigan Out of Doors, Michigan Sportsman magazines reading about smallmouth bass fishing around Beaver Island or Fox Islands. Said caught many fish and were large. How much actually occurred or was exaggerated in writing is unknown. Remember them talking about brown tube jigs. Don't know if they were wading or in a boat. I would think the best thing would be to follow the ferry to the Island if you were taking your own boat. Sounds like fun and an adventure.
    I also want to do the Michigan Inter-coastal through Bert and Mullet Lakes. It runs from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    Youtuber apbassin just did a lake michigan trip is his bass boat leaving from Chicago and going north around lake Michigan and one of his stops was beaver Island, the fishing footage was amazing and he said they caught a ton of fish.
    Wow that looked like fun. Don’t know if I dare make that run with my 1988 Evinrude.

Quote Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
    I remember some written articles (yep, that old) in Michigan Out of Doors, Michigan Sportsman magazines reading about smallmouth bass fishing around Beaver Island or Fox Islands. Said caught many fish and were large. How much actually occurred or was exaggerated in writing is unknown. Remember them talking about brown tube jigs. Don't know if they were wading or in a boat. I would think the best thing would be to follow the ferry to the Island if you were taking your own boat. Sounds like fun and an adventure.
    I also want to do the Michigan Inter-coastal through Bert and Mullet Lakes. It runs from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron.
    That is a fun trip, we do it every year. The river doesn't quite make it to lake Michigan, crooked lake is as far as you can get to the west.

14. Member
    Just watched the apbassin videos of the trip. Looks cool. I can’t imagine running from Chicago to Sturgeon Bay in a day. If a guy had the time, money, and balls it would be a fun trip. Would definitely like to spend more time fishing though. The Beaver Island area he was at did look sweet

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Just watched the apbassin videos of the trip. Looks cool. I can’t imagine running from Chicago to Sturgeon Bay in a day. If a guy had the time, money, and balls it would be a fun trip. Would definitely like to spend more time fishing though. The Beaver Island area he was at did look sweet
    The 150 mile trip down the Michigan side in one day had my back hurting. Conditions would have to be near perfect for me to even think about that. But could you imagine the scenery running down the coast for that trip, I know big boats do it all the time, but to be in a small boat full out would be fun.

16. Member
    Yeah it would be a cool experience for sure