Hds carbon vs hook series

Hello guys ; I'm a newbie here and I bought a new ranger a year or so back with hds carbon units ... Now I don't have the 3D transducer because I just can't see where the image difference is worth a grand ...but here's my question ... My previous units were hook2 7's and I can't see where the carbon unit is even as good ... I liked everything about my hook series better and I've about made up my mind to switch them out .. But before I do I wanna know if anyone else has felt this way or If I'm doing wrong because the carbon units are about 3 times the price I would think that they would be much better but really the only thing I see that's actually better is that imaging is a little closer to real time...

2. Member
    The Carbon has a better screen, better processor and better transducers. It is premium where as the Hook series is entry level. What transducer do you have on your Carbon? If you get it set up right you will have much better images than any Hook unit can give you.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

3. Member
    Yeah if you don't see better images with your Carbon units something is wrong.
    Semper Fi

4. Member
    One of the major benefits of the Carbon, aside from the resolution, is the viewing angle is much greater! I'd be hard pressed to replace a Carbon with a hook series anything...

5. Member
    Thanks for the input guys ... I have the Totalscan transducer ... I've watched videos and spent hours messing with my electronics and I'm not saying that it doesn't work ... Just suffice it to say I'm not impressed with the carbon units ...

6. Member
    What software version are you rubbing on the Carbon. Totalscan is not the best choice... if you’re not running the latest 20.xxxx.269. Install it - could be a difference maker.

7. Member
    TotalScan has been replaced with the AI 3 in 1. It’s a toss up as to whether it’s better than 3D but it’s a damn sight better than a TotalScan.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175