Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new z21 setup help

Just got a new Z21 with the 250 four stroke and I'm looking for help with which props work well with this boat. Fury 23 came on the boat and it has no lift and is alittle small I think. Put a tempest 25 and the boat ran very well with lots of lift and a good hole shot. Problem is when the boat is breaking over onto pad it wants to break loose. worries me that it won't perform in big water. ptp is 3 1/4 inches. It has a hydralic jack plate so i've tried lowering and it still wants to blow out taking off.

2. Member
    my 2020 z21 pro 300 pro xs does the same thing with a 25 and 26 tempest and wants to bounce on top end from 70-77 no matter where i run the atlas jackplate i out a 27.5 bravo 1 xs on it best holeshot and handling 75 ish i would suggest a 26 bravo 1 xs

3. Member
    24 fury 4 blade see if anyone has one to try. Otherwise the bravo. I also think the bravo may get another 1-2mph over the fury
    Nitro z21

4. Member
    I think the 24p Bravo 1 FS or 24p Fury would perform great on the Z21 w/250 ProXS 4s, I wish someone could test, I'm not terribly keen on dropping $700 just to try it out.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

Need more Cup, be interesting to here your top speed #s with the Tempest, and RPMs. U could try plugging a PVS hole.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    i have a 25 fury 4 i ran on my boat it ran close to the bravo 1 xs but was about a mile pet hour slower and a lil slower on holeshot i dont think u can go wrong with it but the bravo1 xs handles a load better

7. Member
    Haven't stretched it out yet. 70.4 gps at 5900 rpms. Water was a little rough and not enough hrs. on motor. really liked the lift with the tempest. With three of us in the boat Wednesday opened it up for a short run and hit 69.4 gps, didn't check to rpm's, but was a little slow out of the hole. Boat wants to porpoise at low speeds even with trim all the way tucked with the tempest. Adding cup may help. I'll have to try and find a bravo to try but like just like pitbully I don't want to spend a bunch of money on checking out different props. I'll try plugging the pvs holes and see what see does. Thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kent61 View Post
    Haven't stretched it out yet. 70.4 gps at 5900 rpms. Water was a little rough and not enough hrs. on motor. really liked the lift with the tempest. With three of us in the boat Wednesday opened it up for a short run and hit 69.4 gps, didn't check to rpm's, but was a little slow out of the hole. Boat wants to porpoise at low speeds even with trim all the way tucked with the tempest. Adding cup may help. I'll have to try and find a bravo to try but like just like pitbully I don't want to spend a bunch of money on checking out different props. I'll try plugging the pvs holes and see what see does. Thanks
    I've noticed the same with mine, it tends to porpoise a lot at lower/midrange if trimmed at all. Wife doesn't like doing 70, so when I'm fishing with her, we tend to run between 40-50mph when running from spot to spot. Hoping a 4 blade clears some of that up. I usually drop the jack plate all the way down and give it just a little trim and the porpoising goes away.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

9. Member
    Just a little follow up. Went out this weekend and have vessel view now, so I can be more percise, and with my 25 tempest boat ran 69.8 and 5480 rpms with motor at 3 1/4 ptp. Tach show 5700, i'm thinking that the vessel view is more accurate. Have not found a bravo 1 fs to try yet. They are scarce. Talked to Steve's prop shop and he said they are getting very good results with a 23 tempest plus with this boat. 92 degrees, water temp 90 and hummidity 80%. Not the best day. Also went to two medium plugs and one small on the prop and most of the blow out at break over went away.
    More to come...

10. Member
    Ok, Picked up a 23 B&B tempest plus to test from Steve's prop shop at lake fork. 69 mph gps at 5900. Hole shot good. Went back and reran the fury 23 and ran 70.5 and 6050 rpm's, better hole shot. Guess thats going to be the prop until I can try a bravo. Best PtP was at 3 1/4. All of this with a full tank of gas and lives wells 1/4 full and tackle. More lift with the tempest but it wants to porpous and speed.

U say its not getting lift, but your getting decent speeds. I have never gotten crazy good lift on any of my Nitros, If the bow is out of the water and the water spray is only in the rear of the boat, your doing good.

my 2019 ran 70-72 depending on conditions.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    A follow up on my prop search,
    I talked to Mercury (after all, they have many mercury pro's running this boat) and went with the bravo 1 xs. Hole shot is great, using my merc monitor holeshot program 3.8 seconds with 3/4 of a tank of gas and tournament load. Top speed is 70.4 gps but could take my hands off the wheel.
    Sblnchrd is right though, at least for cold weather, a 26 may have been fine. Mercury said many have gone to the bravo with this boat and love the way it carries the load. So far very happy. Thanks for the help.

13. Member
    Who did you talk with at Mercury?
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

got 71.5 running back to weigh in on Rayburn with both livewells full and prolly 35 gallons of gas. 2 people. 23p Fury.

I would not worry about the breaking loose on holeshot. Had many boats do this, never had an issue in big water.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Pat,
    I don't remember the mans name.

16. Member
    Bryan, are you running a hydraulic jack plate as well? I have a 23p Fury on my 2021 Z21 (250 ProXS/Atlas hydraulic jack) and it always wants to porpoise after getting on step if I want to go slow at like 30 mph. Any solution?

Quote Originally Posted by GHolekamp View Post
    Bryan, are you running a hydraulic jack plate as well? I have a 23p Fury on my 2021 Z21 (250 ProXS/Atlas hydraulic jack) and it always wants to porpoise after getting on step if I want to go slow at like 30 mph. Any solution?
    No hydraulic for me. Try lowering the motor if you have a hydraulic. Mine will not porpoise at slow speeds but if I try to bump up the trim at all it will. Looks at where your weight is, you may want to move weight fwd to resolve the slow speed porpoise
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    No hydraulic for me. Try lowering the motor if you have a hydraulic. Mine will not porpoise at slow speeds but if I try to bump up the trim at all it will. Looks at where your weight is, you may want to move weight fwd to resolve the slow speed porpoise
    I am running with the hydraulic jack all the way down. All my tackle is also forward of the consoles. Not sure what else I can try. Maybe play with the jack settings more up ? At a loss for what else to try, but it sure is annoying.

Do you have all vent plugs removed? I have noticed more air across the blades can reduce your ability to keep the nose down at slow speeds.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

20. Member
    Yes. The boat came that way from the factory. Boat and motor are brand new. 8 hrs on it. So are you suggesting I add one plug?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast