Flow rite remote drain plug installation

I would like to put a flow rite remote drain plug on my Stratos 289FS. In looking at the directions, it states the diameter of the hole the remote drain mechanism must be a 1" diameter. The existing hole is 0.9378 with a brass insert. If I remove the insert, I know that I will have the 1" needed.
    My question is as my boat has a wooden transom, and with the brass insert removed, the wood in the transom will now be exposed, does the new insert fully cover the exposed wood as the brass insert did. Also Does flow rite include a sealant ( none is shown or talked about in the parts list or instructions from flow rite) to go between the insert and the hole in the transom. If not, what is are suggestions for a sealant from others who have installed the flow rite remote drain on their boats
    My transom is in good shape, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Any suggestions and experiences installing one is appreciated.

Steve

2. Banned
    The Flow Rite doesn't come with sealant just a rubber gasket. On the one I installed, I used the gasket and sealed both sides with 3M 4200.

Couldn't you just drill out your brass bushing with a 1" drill bit and install the flow rite into it??

3. Member
    The brass sleeve seals the end grain from water intrusion. Do not cut it out unless your installing a larger one. Moeller makes and sells the special roll tool to install the sleeves. The links below are to their tools.
    http://www.moellermarine.com/moeller...kit-020720-00/
    http://www.moellermarine.com/moeller...o-d-020700-00/
    http://www.moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/marine-accessories/flanging-tool-1-14-o-d-020704-00/

4. Member
    Thank You both for your reply. mxmike. If I attempted to ream out the brass insert, by the time I reached 1" diameter needed, I think I will be through the brass insert wall thickness. But I am going to see if I can figure out what the insert wall thickness is, to see if I can ream out to the 1" w/o breaking through.
    rojoguio. You confirmed exactly what I figured would need to do if I had to remove the brass insert. I'm not really sure what it would take to remove the brass insert as it's rolled against the transom on both ends
    I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Thanks again for your replies.

Steve

y

5. Member
    the tubes are paper thin. You can sand off the outer flange, carefully slit the tube with a hacksaw blade, use a pick to start to fold the tube to the inside, I use a screwdriver to fold them up. You can buy different diameters & lengths. Be sure to 5200 the new one in before rolling the flange. If too long I use a 12in disc sander with fine grit to slowly trim the length down.

6. Member
    I checked the tubes in my inventory this morning and the brass ones are 1in OD not ID. Of course I can't know what you have but if you have questions concerning the remote drain I would call customer service of mfgr. My feeling is in the roll crimping process you lost a few thousandth's in ID.

7. Member
    rojoguio. Thanks for all the information. You saved me time and effort in trying to figure it all out. I kinda figured it was as you stated, that the hole, and brass sleeve OD were both 1". Looks like I'm gonna be manually installing, and removing my drain plug as I have been doing on all the boats I have owned, except at almost 73 when I get down there to install the plug, I sometimes think, hey I'm down here in the shade of the boat, and prone why not take a nap.
    Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it.
    Steve