Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New BPS 2 & 4-stroke Oils

Just got their latest sale flyer in the mail and right there on the cover are new Bass Pro oils for 2 or 4 stoke motors. Says the 2-stroke version works with DFI, and that the oils meet or exceed NMMA and OEM requirements. Anyone happened to try them yet? Any good? Sure is affordable, but I wonder.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

2. Member
    The 2 stroke says semi synthetic blend what is that. Never heard of semi synthetic blend.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    The 2 stroke says semi synthetic blend what is that. Never heard of semi synthetic blend.
    They probably mean just a synthetic blend (conventional plus synthetic oil mixed in). I see that available for car engine oil all the time at auto part stores or sections. At least I hope that’s what they mean. I wouldn’t know what (fully) semi-synthetic would be either! Good catch!
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

4. Member
    I ordered a case last time it was on sale, but have not used any yet. I actually will use some for the first time tomorrow more than likely.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

5. #FRB
    I'm sure it would be fine but you have to wonder sometimes. Would be nice to see independant testing between the BPS stuff and then the name brand stuff that costs a lot more money.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    It is fine , has all the same certifications as any other TCW3 oil
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

7. Member
    Synthetic blends have been around ever since they came out with synthetic motor oil, they are very common, go to Walmart and you'll see a dozen different synthetic blend oils.

8. Banned
    I've seen some low quality junk with their logo on it in other parts of the store. I'd be scared to gamble on their oil.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditch_Pickle View Post
    I've seen some low quality junk with their logo on it in other parts of the store. I'd be scared to gamble on their oil.
    Oil is the lifeline of any engine. If you’re using bad oil you’re just asking for trouble. Bass Pro quality is average at best and I’d expect their oil to be no different. Yes oil is expensive but I’d rather pay for proven high end/name brand oil than gamble a $3k-$5k rebuild job to save a few bucks on oil.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Oil is the lifeline of any engine. If you’re using bad oil you’re just asking for trouble. Bass Pro quality is average at best and I’d expect their oil to be no different. Yes oil is expensive but I’d rather pay for proven high end/name brand oil than gamble a $3k-$5k rebuild job to save a few bucks on oil.
    Oil is under strict regulation and it has to meet the requirements to carry the ratings it has printed on the bottle. As long as it meets the requirements for your engine it is fine to use.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Oil is under strict regulation and it has to meet the MINIMAL requirements to carry the ratings it has printed on the bottle. As long as it meets the requirements for your engine it is fine to use.
    FIFY

12. Member
    it's just fine,As long as the rating is what it's supposed to be.I have been running it in my GT175.That said in the 30yrs I have had this motor it has ran TCW3 by the gallons of all of it dirt cheap to stupid expensive.Lubrimatic,Penzoil,Havoline,Mystic,Yamal ube,Hell even some Johnson oil among others,,,,ALL TCW3.Still ticking....Always remember NO engine manufacturer owns a refinery, Texaco/Havoline used to make over 80 percent of all outboard oil.Don't know about now.

13. Banned
    The only way to know is to send a virgin sample of Mercury/Quicksilver and the BPS brand off to Blackstone and have an analysis done.

What I suspect we'd see is that the BPS brand will have all the same additive package, just at lower levels to meet certification.

It's not the base oils that make oils expensive. It's the additive package.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    FIFY
    Meeting minimal requirements is fine, if an engine needed more than that then the manufacturer would say so, or spec a different oil. There is little evidence to prove that oil that exceeds requirements is of any benefit at all as long as you follow the factory service intervals.

15. Member
    Synthetic blends have been around ever since they came out with synthetic motor oil, they are very common, go to Walmart and you'll see a dozen different synthetic blend oils.
    Correct but I have never seen a label say (semi) synthetic blend.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Correct but I have never seen a label say (semi) synthetic blend.
    It means a blend that is 1/2 synthetic and 1/2 conventional oil.

17. Member
    It means a blend that is 1/2 synthetic and 1/2 conventional oil.
    It means its only partically blended with synthetic not necessarly 1/2

18. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    it's just fine,As long as the rating is what it's supposed to be.I have been running it in my GT175.That said in the 30yrs I have had this motor it has ran TCW3 by the gallons of all of it dirt cheap to stupid expensive.Lubrimatic,Penzoil,Havoline,Mystic,Yamal ube,Hell even some Johnson oil among others,,,,ALL TCW3.Still ticking....Always remember NO engine manufacturer owns a refinery, Texaco/Havoline used to make over 80 percent of all outboard oil.Don't know about now.
    Well to be fair those old motors weren't that picky for the most part. Never premix Yamalube 2-stroke oil in a GT/XP motor though. I had some left over and my friend learned that the hard way with his GT150. Didn't hurt it but sure made it cranky. Possibly because it might have been more of an injector oil and not that great for premixing? Like I said previously these new motors are too expensive to take a chance with. In a 4-stroke there's no reason to cheap out on oil if you're only changing it once a year or twice a year at the most. Same with 2-stroke oil. Everyone should run what they want in their outboard because they're the ones that will be on the hook to get it fixed whether it be by warranty hassle or out of pocket. I'll stick with Mercury/Quicksilver oil in my 4-stroke. The oil change every year is peanuts compared to other expenses over the year in boat ownership.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Well to be fair those old motors weren't that picky for the most part. Never premix Yamalube 2-stroke oil in a GT/XP motor though. I had some left over and my friend learned that the hard way with his GT150. Didn't hurt it but sure made it cranky. Possibly because it might have been more of an injector oil and not that great for premixing? Like I said previously these new motors are too expensive to take a chance with. In a 4-stroke there's no reason to cheap out on oil if you're only changing it once a year or twice a year at the most. Same with 2-stroke oil. Everyone should run what they want in their outboard because they're the ones that will be on the hook to get it fixed whether it be by warranty hassle or out of pocket. I'll stick with Mercury/Quicksilver oil in my 4-stroke. The oil change every year is peanuts compared to other expenses over the year in boat ownership.
    That's my thoughts as well. Why cheap out on your oil. Run what they recommend. Saving a few bucks might cost you a powerhead.

20. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    The price is low for a reason, something must be left out to keep the price down. Years ago I tried a cheap oil and it carboned up my motor big time. I'm fortunate, a few dealers around here sell the good oil from 50 gallon drums. I don't see JM selling good oil on the cheap.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast