Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    The price is low for a reason, something must be left out to keep the price down. Years ago I tried a cheap oil and it carboned up my motor big time. I'm fortunate, a few dealers around here sell the good oil from 50 gallon drums. I don't see JM selling good oil on the cheap.
    Yup. Foothills and Denver Tackle $30 a gallon for DFI. Bring your own jug. I might go through 6-7 gallons a year. What's the alternative? $6000 for a new powerhead? No thanks.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    The price is low for a reason, something must be left out to keep the price down. Years ago I tried a cheap oil and it carboned up my motor big time. I'm fortunate, a few dealers around here sell the good oil from 50 gallon drums. I don't see JM selling good oil on the cheap.
    The price is lower because you aren't paying for a name. It still has to meet the same specifications name brand oil does.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Nothing but the best for my 03 250....additive package keeps her clean.....

4. Banned
    Meeting a spec is not the whole story. Plenty of oils meet specs for all kinds of applications. But certain oils with specific additive packages perform considerably better.

Take the 5.7 Hemi for example A lot of oils meet MS-6395 spec. But only a few oils contain high moly content to actually work well in a Hemi. It's why dealers user Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. High moly. Mobile 1 meets spec, but contains 0% moly. Those lifters don't like 0% moly oils.

5. Member
    When I was a kid the only thing you put with your gas was 30 wt. oil non-detergent. Then they came out with two stroke oil witch was 30 wt oil non-detergent that had mix ratios on the back and selling it for more with BS. Now I could be wrong but the best oil is in my own opinion oil not synthetic now you buy gas and it has corn in it witch is better?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redspinner View Post
    When I was a kid the only thing you put with your gas was 30 wt. oil non-detergent. Then they came out with two stroke oil witch was 30 wt oil non-detergent that had mix ratios on the back and selling it for more with BS. Now I could be wrong but the best oil is in my own opinion oil not synthetic now you buy gas and it has corn in it witch is better?
    When we all were kids things were a lot different.

But, you know, times changes, technology changes. 3 and 4 speed transmissions are no longer used. 3 on the tree manuals don't exist any more. The Atari 2600 isn't the best selling game console any more. We're all using computers better than the Commodore 64, IBM XT 8088 or Apple 2e.

7. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Meeting a spec is not the whole story. Plenty of oils meet specs for all kinds of applications. But certain oils with specific additive packages perform considerably better.

Take the 5.7 Hemi for example A lot of oils meet MS-6395 spec. But only a few oils contain high moly content to actually work well in a Hemi. It's why dealers user Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. High moly. Mobile 1 meets spec, but contains 0% moly. Those lifters don't like 0% moly oils.
    I'll have to remember this. Been using what the oil change place uses in my HEMI which is Kendal synthetic blend. This last time the papers said they used Pennzoil (didn't spec which one). Gonna start changing my own oil again I think and use Pennzoil synthetic especially since most of my trips are short. I've also seen plenty of 5.7 HEMI motors not hold up so great and most likely because of not using the correct oil. Friend of mine in the used car business sure has seen his share of HEMI's with blown cylinders and blowing smoke like Cheech and Chong.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I'll have to remember this. Been using what the oil change place uses in my HEMI which is Kendal synthetic blend. This last time the papers said they used Pennzoil (didn't spec which one). Gonna start changing my own oil again I think and use Pennzoil synthetic especially since most of my trips are short. I've also seen plenty of 5.7 HEMI motors not hold up so great and most likely because of not using the correct oil. Friend of mine in the used car business sure has seen his share of HEMI's with blown cylinders and blowing smoke like Cheech and Chong.
    Not to derail the thread. But the Hemi's weak point is the hydraulic roller lifters. Specifically the needle bearings in them. They just plain suck and like to grenade which takes out the cam in the process. Moly in the oil provides a "dry lubrication" during cold starts when most of the wear on those bearings occur. It's not a fix, but you'll get much more life out of them by using high moly content oils. Redline, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum, Amzoil, Mopar SRT 0w40. Even Mazda OEM branded oils are good.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redspinner View Post
    We used to siphon gas by mouth too ��

10. Member
    You usually get exactly what you pay for!

11. Member
    Only way to find out if it is no good is very very expensive.

12. Member
    Im sure its rebranded cabelas semi synthetic. Which i been running for 3yrs since a fresh rebuild. Used to get it on sale for around $ 15/gal. Tcw3. Never had an issue.

13. Member
    Been using the TCW3 semi synthetic all year in my Johnson 175, no problems.

14. Member
    Go to the NMMA website and see the criteria for TCW-3 certification, it' just a pass or fail type test. Can still have oil that barely make it and others that are far superior.

15. Member
    well look at Pennzoil extended life or synthetic blend at walmart , only 17.99 a gallon and thousands run it in there boats , it is good oil. BPS is probably made by one of the private bottlers that bottle lots of private label oils , My neighboor owns The Autogaurd , Lubrigaurd , Coastal Lubricants ,Warren oil Brands , he said they bottled oil for companies all over the country under private label deals . They meet whatever specs they are given for the product
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

16. Member
    If your in warranty, run the oil with the manufacture's name on it. (just one way they can dump a claim). Out of warranty, just run the oil with the manufacture's name on it.

Just my opinion oil is cheap compared to the cost of new motor I always used engine manufacturers labeled oil it’s cheap insurance

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12