NFC MB 709-1 (HM) opinions please

Picked up one of these when NFC ran a 50% off sale. Ratings are 14-30 line rating, power-mag heavy, Lure-3/8-2, says it’s a remastered MB 844 IMX. Was thinking about building it for flipping and pitching. Would this blank fit that bill or would there be a better use for it?

2. Member
    I have a flipping and pitching rod that I built on the IM version of that blank, and I absolutely love it. It has gobs of power, outstanding sensitivity, and an action that keeps fish buttoned up beautifully. The usual baits I fish with it are 4.2 Sweet Beavers, or 4" Texas rigged tubes using 3/16 oz bullet weight and it pitches those lighter baits with no problem.The biggest fish I have caught on the rod was a flat head catfish that probably went between 25 to 30 lbs. I was trying to put the screws to it, and I was never in fear of the rod breaking and it handled that fish pretty darn well. Biggest bass I have caught on that rod was a little over 4 lbs, and the rod handled it like it was a 2 lb fish.

Love love LOVE that rod.

Thanks for the reply Bassbme. I really bought the rod on the weight rating thinking it would be good for 3/8 oz. on up and certainly on NFC’s reputation. Never built on NFC blanks but wanted to try a few just to see. Not surprised you caught a big flathead while bass fishing as several have come over my gunnel also. Great eating fish and hope you sunk him in the Crisco! I’m looking forward to building and using this blank. I really don’t have a dedicated pitching blank and hoping this one would do well. Glad you really like yours and gives me confidence I made a good selection.

Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bassbme. I really bought the rod on the weight rating thinking it would be good for 3/8 oz. on up and certainly on NFC’s reputation. Never built on NFC blanks but wanted to try a few just to see. Not surprised you caught a big flathead while bass fishing as several have come over my gunnel also. Great eating fish and hope you sunk him in the Crisco! I’m looking forward to building and using this blank. I really don’t have a dedicated pitching blank and hoping this one would do well. Glad you really like yours and gives me confidence I made a good selection.
    . I have several rods built on the 709hm and 809hm.... no way would I ever throw up to 2 ounces.... To me it’s more of a 1/2 rod to me.... yes more on the lines of a 844

5. Member
    I haven't built the 709 but I have built a 7108 Xray. I use it a lot, nice rod and I'll throw up to a 3/4oz football head on it, rated to 1.5oz, no way I'd throw that on it. The 709 should make a nice pitchin rod...for actual flippin, heavy cover, 65lb braid, 25lb flouro type fishing I wouldn't use a Xray or a HM, IMO higher modulus way more prone to break in that application.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I haven't built the 709 but I have built a 7108 Xray. I use it a lot, nice rod and I'll throw up to a 3/4oz football head on it, rated to 1.5oz, no way I'd throw that on it. The 709 should make a nice pitchin rod...for actual flippin, heavy cover, 65lb braid, 25lb flouro type fishing I wouldn't use a Xray or a HM, IMO higher modulus way more prone to break in that application.
    Is there a NFC blank you would recommend for flipping up to a 2oz weight?

7. Member
    I built a NFC SWB806IM for a buddy who punches a lot but also wanted a rod that could handle double duty as an A-rig rod. He loves it. I went with that over like a Flip767 because I think a moderate blank is better with braid. Lighter swimbait blanks make great flippin' sticks.

If you asked what blank from anyone I'd recommend for that it'd be a Hydra Ng FL905 (I think now they only have a FL955 though). They don't have Ng blanks available now though anyway because of COVID.

Thrasher BSC7807 is a real good one too

8. Member
    Thank you for the help.