Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Let me be clear, I do not have an issue filling the tank, it is when the tank gets full and the nozzle automatically shuts off, that is when the gas overflows onto the boat, I try to watch the fuel gauge but that does not work for me.

2. Banned
    You might try wadding up some paper towels around the nozzle that way when it does shut off you'll at least stop the gas from making a mess... And carry a bar of soap to wash your hands at the ramp... Dan

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Let me be clear, I do not have an issue filling the tank, it is when the tank gets full and the nozzle automatically shuts off, that is when the gas overflows onto the boat, I try to watch the fuel gauge but that does not work for me.
    I have been having the same issue. I am carrying an old towel and toward the end I wrap it around the fill hole to create a dam to absorb it when it happens and doesn't go everywhere. Every bass boat I have ever had, where I could not open the rear lid and see the tank(fiberglass tank) and watch for the tank to near full it happens on. I usually just quit filling up completely.
    HK, when you supposed to get that 5 blade 26 back?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr 22 View Post
    I have been having the same issue. I am carrying an old towel and toward the end I wrap it around the fill hole to create a dam to absorb it when it happens and doesn't go everywhere. Every bass boat I have ever had, where I could not open the rear lid and see the tank(fiberglass tank) and watch for the tank to near full it happens on. I usually just quit filling up completely.
    HK, when you supposed to get that 5 blade 26 back?
    He said he was a week out so I am hoping I will have it early next week.

5. Member
    All the same issues with my XRS and don't even get me started with trying to fill while on the water. Definitely need a cap directly on the tank.
    XRS/250 ProXS

6. Member
    In my experience the fuel used amount on your Smartcraft is very accurate. I checked it because it's more accurate than my fuel gauge since I have about 6 gallons left when it reads empty. If you reset the fuel used each time you fill up you'll know almost exactly how much fuel you need to fill up and you can slow way down for the last gallon or so. Maybe that would help? I know that the fuel gauge on mine has a delay as you fill up. I think that is on purpose so that the gauge isn't constantly moving as the fuel sloshes in the tank when it's rough out. I have a plastic tank so I can see when it gets full so I don't know if this will help but it's what I would try.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jenninr View Post
    ... I have a plastic tank so I can see when it gets full so I don't know if this will help but it's what I would try.
    Great advice about the Smart Gauge... But the newer Bullets have aluminum tanks (not sure when they make the switch)... Love em' but you can't see through them... Dan

8. Member
    I changed my stock Bullet chrome gas cap to a plastic flip cap that has the vent next to the main fill (but still under the cap) vs. in the side of the main fill line that Bullet uses. Takes fuel at the pump wide open.

With the factory Bullet fill nozzles, the vents are real pron to getting full or partially of fuel when filling, that's when they burp.

It's all in the vent.

9. Member
    I tried the pull the hose off trick Saturday. My gauge showed 1/8th of a tank. Immediately gas started trickling out of the vent on the tank. Tank was not even remotely full and gas was going out of the vent. Terrible design.

10. Member
    Last time I filed up I wrapped a towel around the nozzle, it worked perfectly, thanks for the good tip.

11. Member
    Mine is repaired it can take fuel full speed , you just have to listen for the sound change then slow it down to the top.
    parts needed (2) 5/8 tees , 8" 5/8 fuel hose , (6) ss hose clamps , I would say tee together the tank vent and canister vent but that would be in violation of the EPA laws so don't do it.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    Mine is repaired it can take fuel full speed , you just have to listen for the sound change then slow it down to the top.
    parts needed (2) 5/8 tees , 8" 5/8 fuel hose , (6) ss hose clamps , I would say tee together the tank vent and canister vent but that would be in violation of the EPA laws so don't do it.
    Can you send me a picture so I am sure what not to do.

The new epa systems with the grade valves and the float ball in the hose sucks. If you look at the way its designed youll see why it pukes fuel- got people talking about 2 different issues here: the age old not taking fuel due to the vent on the plastic tanks but this puking problem is the epa’s fault. Once your tank gets full there is a float ball that slams shut right at the tank. The nozzle is still running and only the hose is getting filled. It cant shut off fast enough. Here is a link that describes it. There are 2 ways to do it- a canister and one that vents back to the fill cap and relieves at a pretty high pressure. This tank needs a fuel demand valve inline or on a hot day itll push fuel into your motor at over 5psi. The worst part about these new tanks is the unusable space. A 45 gallon tank on my boat for example only holds into the mid 30s. Without the grade valves and such it would hold 44gal. And theres no telling how much money boat shops make off replacing anti-siphon valves. They cause a lot of issues thats hard to pinpoint. I pulled my hair out over this epa stuff back in 2011-2012. Had brand new boats that took 45mins to fuel up

https://www.boats.com/resources/mode...tems-on-boats/

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Member
    Pm me phone number I could send pictures by text.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

I would say tee together the tank vent and canister vent but that would be in violation of the EPA laws so don't do it. That is what I would do!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12