Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I am from MN and have always tried to support St. Croix, but don't have quite as many rods in my arsenal as some. I have two St. Croix Rods that are in my hands probably over 50% of my fishing time. One a Premier from 1998 and 1 Avid baitcasting rod that is about a year old. Both are 6'6" MH's with fast action. I think they are just about perfectly balanced with a typical reel on them. I can really tell the difference between the two due to age, but the 1998 rod has taken a beating over the years and is still sensitive enough to feel a jig bite. I always feel in rods and reels you really get what you pay for at the pricepoint and St. Croix to me seem pretty fair compared to competitors, but always win out with me due to being made in northern WI.

I am stoked to be heading up that way this weekend and plan to pick up another addition to my Arsenal at the Factory Store!

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjockey View Post
    I have that same model in the LTB . With a Curado e it balances right in front of the reel nut.
    There may have been some models that have been tip heavy but the 6 I own aren't.
    I believe it's largely internet BS that gets repeated over and over.
    Thanks for the heads up.

3. Member
    I've used many SC's, Dobyn's, Daiwa's, in various product lines.

Lets start with SC...Top notch quality and toughness, built in the USA. As mentioned above, a St. Croix spinning rod is hard to beat at the price point in any model. I also believe the Avid casting rod is sensational for $200. To me, the Legend SC5 casting rods excel in bottom contact, worms, etc...but aren't as great for moving baits (due to a heavier tip, causing less balance and control).

Daiwa...Feather light compared to SC. The original Tatula's are still one of my favorites. The newer model Tatulas and Elites are also superb at there price point.

Dobyns...Where tip-heaviness is a concern in SC, Balance is everything in a Dobyn's rod... and the customer service is excellent. For moving baits, they're my go to. For $200 the CB, CB Glass Models are special. Also a great build.

4. Member
    St. Croix makes a very good rod for the money in their lower end offerings, Mojo, Premier, Avid and Avid X. Back in the late 90's early 2000's before I started building my own I had all Avids and was really happy with them. For probably the first 3 years of building most of the blanks I built were St. Croix. Honestly though I don't think the jump to Legend Tournament and certainly not LE/LX is worth the climb, die hard St. Croix guys will no doubt disagree. I just don't see it in the finished rods myself and I've handled a lot of them.

5. Moderator
    I've got 2 Legend Elite spinning rods and really like them. I am a Loomis homer but the these LE's are very nice!

6. Member
    I'm a St.Croix fan, but certain rods really shine. IMO a 7' medium fast SC in any model is sweet. 7' MF Legend Elite is perfect!!! I also think SC are heavier action than their rating... a medium SC is like a Loomis 3 power to me. And I LOVE the Legend glass rods...
    Some models, especially in the Tournament series do feel tip heavy, but SC also tends to use a shorter rear grip than others...It depends whats important to you- balance or grip length. And you can balance the rod.
    I love that most SC are made in the USA...and Legends are awesome!!

7. Member
    Keep your eyes out for a new "Mojo CARBON".

8. Member
    Everybody makes a decent rod now. Well, maybe dont by at Wally World. I personally know of 300 dollar rod maker that uses the exact same blank as his 89 dollar rod. Your choice.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Keep your eyes out for a new "Mojo CARBON".
    don’t blue ball us! What’s the mojo carbon?
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE BUSINESS. Love the rods , If we are talking the big dollar rods, I believe a lot of them are very close in quality . the thing to me that sets them apart is the service. Hell I have a legend elite That I bought over 15 years ago that they have replaced once and rewrapped once at no charge , it's my sons rod now (only because it a 6'6" rod and I prefer longer rods ) , I like the higher end rods from dobyns and kistler also, but you can't go wrong with st. croix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12