Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinions (St Croix)

Ok. I live in WI and I have actually never fished a St Croix. I’ve mainly used Kistler, Daiwa, Shimano, and ALX. As you can imagine a lot of people throughout WI LOVE and I mean LOVE St Croix and you really can’t have a conversation with them about any other rod company because well St Croix.

Out of curiosity I’m wondering how those outside of WI or of course anyone who wants to chime in feel about St Croix rods? Mostly wondering from less biased opinions.

Take care all. TL

So I'm a WI based 'Croix fan. I have legend tournaments and they all are "tip heavy" and have counter balanced most of them. My buddy has some Dobyns that are balanced perfect as is. Warrenty for me has been good, though they recently changed their plans a little. As far as other areas, it's a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erico View Post
    So I'm a WI based 'Croix fan. I have legend tournaments and they all are "tip heavy" and have counter balanced most of them. My buddy has some Dobyns that are balanced perfect as is. Warrenty for me has been good, though they recently changed their plans a little. As far as other areas, it's a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge.

Right on. I'm not opposed to St Croix, I just always wanted to be trying other companies. I mostly asked this question because of my co workers and friends I fish with. It's St Croix and according to them no other rod exists. haha I can't even get them to touch a different rod of mine.

4. Member
    I've owned 2 St. Croix rods, so I'm far from an expert on their rods. I had one of their Premiere model casting rods, which at the time was their lowest priced option. And I also owned the first gen Legend Extreme, which was their most expensive option. I always felt they fished heavier than labeled. The premiere was a MH but I felt like it fished more like a H powered rod from other manufacturers. Both were nice rods, but I honestly never felt like they were anything special. My favorite rods right now are Shimano Exprides. For me, the Exprides have that "it" factor that just makes me love them. I also have an ALX Toadface that is awesome for frogs. I'm sure there are certain models of St. Croix rods that are fantastic, I have just never fished them. There's a guy on here whose screen name is Punch. He does some really great rod review videos and I know he is very knowledgeable about St. Croix rods. He tends to use more high end gear, so if that's what you are looking for, I'd PM him or find some of the videos he has done. Based on my past experience with their rods, I tend to look at other offerings first, but that's just my opinion.

5. Member
    St. Croix does a “good” job. Their rods offer good quality build for the price and balance good customer service, warranty, action, and weight. I own many but also own lots of different brands too. They are a little tip heavy typically, but then again, I don’t feel my NRX rods are perfect either....
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Banned
    I own many St Croixs. I've strayed with Daiwa, Dobyns, Megabass and some other off brands. I always come back to ST croix. They might not be sexy, but that are tough. Rarely do I need to replace guides or fix epoxy. I cant say that about the others. I do prefer the heavier action of hte Croixs vs others as well. They just seem crisp. In my opinion, the Avids are best bang for the buck. Pick a used one and try it.

7. Member
    Bought one and don’t care for it. Won’t ever buy another again. At least anytime soon.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I've owned 2 St. Croix rods, so I'm far from an expert on their rods. I had one of their Premiere model casting rods, which at the time was their lowest priced option. And I also owned the first gen Legend Extreme, which was their most expensive option. I always felt they fished heavier than labeled. The premiere was a MH but I felt like it fished more like a H powered rod from other manufacturers. Both were nice rods, but I honestly never felt like they were anything special. My favorite rods right now are Shimano Exprides. For me, the Exprides have that "it" factor that just makes me love them. I also have an ALX Toadface that is awesome for frogs. I'm sure there are certain models of St. Croix rods that are fantastic, I have just never fished them. There's a guy on here whose screen name is Punch. He does some really great rod review videos and I know he is very knowledgeable about St. Croix rods. He tends to use more high end gear, so if that's what you are looking for, I'd PM him or find some of the videos he has done. Based on my past experience with their rods, I tend to look at other offerings first, but that's just my opinion.
    I just purchased my first Expride from a guy in the swap and sell. Looking forward to it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Almag6 View Post
    I own many St Croixs. I've strayed with Daiwa, Dobyns, Megabass and some other off brands. I always come back to ST croix. They might not be sexy, but that are tough. Rarely do I need to replace guides or fix epoxy. I cant say that about the others. I do prefer the heavier action of hte Croixs vs others as well. They just seem crisp. In my opinion, the Avids are best bang for the buck. Pick a used one and try it.
    I mostly posted for insight from others who may not be as biased. If I ever step into a St Croix I’d start with an Avid X.

10. Member
    I think the Legend series, save for the latest Xtreme, offer the best value of all the higher end rods. Other rods with torzites and perfect cork are $500+. Everything below that is not good bang for your buck. The LT and Avid rods are great quality builds, but there are a lot better performing rods for a similar price. The Expride mentioned above is one of those. It blows the Legend Tournament away, in my hands. I only have experience with their bass stuff. They probably have a lot bigger footprint in walleye, musky, etc., and I don't know how others compare in those avenues.

11. Member
    St. Croix is quite popular in Minnesota. Many shops carry their stuff.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

12. Member
    Wisconsin based St. Croix fan boy here. I started out on lightning rods and low end bps rods 20 years ago. They worked well, but stepping up to my first St. Croix Premier back then had me hooked. Dad bought me a middle of the road Kistler back then when Kistler was just getting started, and it was great, still have the rod and could have easily gone down that road. I’ve tried other brands since, nothing real high end like loomis, or ALX, mega bass, Kistler, but I’m sure if I went with one of those I’d likely find rods I like. I have Legend tournaments, Avids, premiers, bass x and mojo. Mojo bass is what I buy the most, I get an incredible deal on them locally and honestly model to model, most St. Croixs feel the same to me. I think the Mojo Bass represents the best value in the St. Croix lineup imo. They have been very durable to me and the few times I needed to warranty a rod, I was taken care of. And they are available just about everywhere in this state.

13. Member
    I like my St. Croix's. Have others but usually go back to the Croix's. I like the sensitivity. Usually using MLXF for just about everything on my favorite lakes. MHF for everything else and Eyecons for walleye trolling. Service has been exceptional when needed. Rods usually replaced within a week with Spee-Dee delivery.
    Please release me,let me go.

14. Member
    I have five spinning rods, four are St Croix and one is a Falcon Bucoo and just recently gave a lightly used Dobyn's Fury to my son. Basically St Croix is the only spinning rod I now consider. Of all my casting rods the only St Croix I own is a gen2 Mojo medium fast I use for jerkbaits. I do not care for St Croix rod powers above medium, the MH and above are too stiff for me.

15. Member
    I'm a WI St Croix fan as well. I like how they feel in hand, the fact the company is in state, and the warranty/customer service. I don't own any of the real high end stuff but started with Avids, then got a couple of Legend TX, and a bunch of gen 2 Mojo's. Now that the Mojo's use the SCIII blank, I think they are the best bang for the buck in the St Croix lineup and one of the best rods available at their price point. I don't find any of them tip heavy and for me they fish comfortably all day. The one Croix rod that I do think is tip heavy is the Avid X. Planned on buying a couple but they just don't feel right in my hand.

There are alot of good rods out there with St Croix for sure being one of them!
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

16. Member
    I have never fished a st croix baitcaster that had a "wow" factor. However in the spinning lineup, the avid 7'6mlxf is THE best hairjig rod i've ever used, and the 7'mlf legend elite is by far my most favorite finesse spinning rod i've ever used. So i love their ML spinning rods, everything else to me is just meh.

Are the legend tournament pros , tip heavy ? I was looking at the 7'1 MH Fast for worms ?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Are the legend tournament pros , tip heavy ? I was looking at the 7'1 MH Fast for worms ?
    FWIW, I fish that rod in Mojo paired with a Curado K and think it balances very well.....not tip heavy in my mind.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    FWIW, I fish that rod in Mojo paired with a Curado K and think it balances very well.....not tip heavy in my mind.
    Thanks , Bob.

20. Member
    I have that same model in the LTB . With a Curado e it balances right in front of the reel nut.
    There may have been some models that have been tip heavy but the 6 I own aren't.
    I believe it's largely internet BS that gets repeated over and over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast