Thread: Up grading rods

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstick View Post
    I have been thinking about upgrading all my rods.
    I am looking at selecting one rod company and buying just
    there rods. I am trying to do my research now and I have narrowed it down
    to four different manufacturers at this time. It's going to be quite an investment
    buying 20 new rods.
    My question is has anyone done this and do you think it has improved your style of fishing.
    Or am I just over thinking this whole process.
    Go To https://witchdoctortackle.com/ they make some really good rods and use good materials very professional guys and will guide you to the rods you need for any technique or just general rods
    Johnnyboydan
    Triton 185 Merc 150

2. Member
    I did it a few years ago when I replaced all my rods after the boat was stolen. There is a lot of merit to the plan and overall I am happy. I will say that just because I went with one brand that does not automatically mean I like all the models equally. If I could do it all over again, I would find a great rod builder and have him craft me a series of sticks based on my preferences. Let him choose the blanks and construction details. Having the same grips and balance points is probably what you are most looking for and a good rod builder can match that. You most likely will not get that exactly the same with off the shelf rods, even if you buy one brand. That said, call some rod companies and see what they say about making you a deal if you buy are buying 20 rods.

3. Member
    PM sent

4. Member
    I just ordered two new rods on line. I have bought three spinning rods from that company which I will not name and they were both excellent, so I figure I'll get two more but baitcasters. If they work out I will be glad I spent the $180.00. Happy Birthday to me, they should be here soon.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstick View Post
    I'm looking for feel from one rod to the next to be the same.
    What I mean is if I fishing a square bill and have mutable rods
    on the deck when I put one down and pick up another I want them
    to feel the same.
    I don't have a price point at this time.

I've done what you are seeking and also have all of the same reels. Hands down Falcon or ALX. Both offer the variety you are looking for but also have consistent feel through the whole lineup. All rods are balanced similar to each other.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

6. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Friend of mine made the comment the other day by saying "I wonder why we left Falcon?" Picked one up in the store and it had a really good feel to it. He's wanting to jump on the Loomis train.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I'm down to 2 brands, ALX and St. Croix and they cover everything I need them for.
    My 2 favorites also!
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

8. Member
    Take a look at Powell's Endurance series. These are exceptional rods at a reasonable price point. I love them and have about 12 so far. As I upgrade I've been going this route and have been very happy. They also have excellent customer service. I have called several times and the owner answers the phone and No B.S. from him. Good rods, good price, good people.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

9. Banned
    I went all Falcon and all Shimano a few years ago... Couldn't be happier... But now that Falcon has a lot of their rods made overseas now... I'll be looking for replacements soon... Dan

That is how I got into rod building....was cheaper to make my own when I wanted to upgrade everything.
    Boatless

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    That is how I got into rod building....was cheaper to make my own when I wanted to upgrade everything.
    Have you ever tried the MHX blanks? What's your thoughts on those?

12. Banned
    The Loomis NRX line while older is still somewhat of a gold standard.

894 c for flipping, creatures etc
    893c for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits lighter swimbaits anything bottom contact up to 1/2 oz
    873 c for c rigs jigs etc
    854c for horny toads etc

852 s for tubes small swimbaits, shakeyheads etc...
    822 dsr for dropshot
    902s for hair, drops hot etc

Pair everything casting with Metaniums or Bantams
    Everything spinning with 3000 stradics

I use this system with great success and comfort and since the rods have lifetime warranty no worries....you can do the same with Conquest line up or GLX also....

13. Member
    If I decide to change rod brads I plan to go with Cashion rods. I have no experience with them, but have good reviews and they are made in the U.S.

14. Member
    I think it depends how much you like versatility, or specialization. I have not tried every brand. But, for versatility, Kistler is hard to beat....their MOD rod is one of the best big bait sticks you'll find. For specialization, Expride /Zodias are great options. The flipping stick and Frog Rods (both XH) are awesome. That frog rod is a hammer. Mostly I've moved towards MB, I love their warranty, and each rod does what it's made to very well. They are not versatile, they are made to do one thing perfect. They do that.

15. Member
    Have had Loomis, Fenwick, Falcon and St. Croix. Still have one Loomis as the 2 others cracked and all 3 Fenwicks cracked like dry wood. Falcon is a great brand but hard to find and not made in US anymore. That leaves St. Croix.............have about 18 of them. Most are of the Legend Tournament line and that line has become my favorite.

16. Member
    I think that if I were to go all one brand I would definitely go custom. I just don't know that it would make a difference for me. I can definitely see the logic but don't really know if the benefits would be there.

17. Member
    I've found a like the Kistler Helium 3 & Lew's Custom Lite rods. Over the last year I've replaced/grown my rod selection with those 2 brands. I chose between them based on what each offered in the particular specs I was looking for. For years and years I've only fished Daiwa reels, but after trying some other realized I like the Lew's better. So one new rod has the Daiwa tatula with the t-wing system and all the others are Lew's Custom, super duty.
    Brad
    1993 Stratos 254/70 Evinrude
    2018 Triton 20 TRX Patriot/250 Mercury ProXS
    2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch

18. Member
    Go to fxcustomrods.com I sold all of mine and switched to these. Super lightweight and comfortable grips. Pulled a 9-2 on the 7'6" mh cranking the other day with no issues. Multiple dives and switching from side to side on the boat. Lifetime no questions warranty. They just want to know how you broke them because its funny sometimes
    01 Charger 395
    2000 Yamaha OX66 225
    Black 10' Blade
    Garmin 106 and 93sv console
    Garmin 126 and 93sv bow with livescope
    FX Custom Rods pro staff

Groom's and St. Croix is what I use. I really like them.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Im slowly moving all my rods over to shimano exprides.. ( not a fan of shimano reels however) Once I picked a expride up and fished them I was in love.. IMO I dont think there is a better rod in that price range out there. I would put them up against any rod even the 350.00 range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast