Optimax 115, 2007 - help needed - cutting off

I have a 2007 Optimax 115, less than 300hrs. When cold, often cuts off when first put in gear. I think the idle may sound a little rough but it doesn't cut off until I put it in gear. I may have to restart 1, possibly 2 times and then it's fine. Runs good otherwise. I have replaced the plugs a month or two ago but did not check the gap (they are supposed to be pre-gapped .31 I thought?). The old plugs also did the cut off thing but it seems more regular now. There was a time however when I did not have this problem so I'm not sure if the plugs are involved or not. I will take them out, check gap, and re-install if it is worth doing. If the engine is cut off but still warm, I do not have this issue when restarting. I also don't think it cuts off when on muffs and I put it in gear but I can check further if that provides any clues. What is the likely cause? Thanks.

2. Member
    check plugs for sure need to see what fuel and air psi are doing as well as sensors
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    20200624_173214.jpg
    Here are the plugs from a couple of months ago. So I need to get a feeler and confirm .031 or .032"? I notice plug 3 is all black. Does that mean anything? I did have coil #2 recently go out so have just now changed all coils.
    On the fuel and air valves, can I use a tire gauge that does 150psi? I'm sure that's not by the book but will that suffice for a quick check? Just run it at idle and check those 2 valves?
    When you say check the sensors -- what sensors/how?

Thanks.
    Last edited by dawg11; 06-24-2020 at 05:46 PM.

4. Member
    update: I found a wire gauge and could not fit .030" under the arm so I know they are not gapped right at .031 like I thought NGK said. I'll try to get it between .030 and .035 but can I still use the black plug 3? Could this cause the cut off I have been having as described in original post? Why is the plug different than the other two? The coil that went bad was the cylinder above (though I did replace all 3 just last week).

5. Member
    wouldn't use plug,yes possible misfire ,did you use factory oem coils ?problem with flooding or spark problem on that cyl , sugest run cds scan on all switched and sensors at dealer level, and you may have bought a new bad coil chek spark on that cyl when mtr is cool
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I still have the plugs that came out before these so maybe I will use one of those until I know it won't get ruined again. I used aftermarket coils from eBay - there were hundreds sold with good feedback so I thought those would be ok. I did just swap all the coils but the plugs were done approx 2 months ago. I could put a factory old coil back but I don't really know if the old coil or the new coil is the potential problem. Can I use a spark tester (with light/spark window) and determine how good or bad the coil is? I assume #3 is working as when #2 went out, my motor wouldn't really run at all. Does the spark in the tester window need to have consistent, rapid flashes at equal intervals or not necessarily?

7. Member
    consistant pattern ,may have rfi problem

8. Member
    The correct gap is .032" - .033", check this topic and scroll down to plug recommendations, you'll find the 1.5L Optimax 3rd on the list.

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax