Caviar in the fuel pump

104691385_10220737327495892_4227387160825556561_o.jpg
    Fuel pump on a Merc 4-stroke. Customer said "it just doesn't want to run like it did last year."
    We changed his fuel line to the ethanol resistant kind and cleaned this junk out, which felt like fish eggs, and changed his filters. Now it runs like it's supposed to.

(606)305-1956

2. Banned
    can you take a better pic? looks like a blurry mess.

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    can you take a better pic? looks like a blurry mess.
    Here ya go; same thing happened to mine with the corn fuel & non-compliant lines. This (the inner layer of the line) is what came out of the VST...

And the above happened, despite every gallon of fuel ever run in the boat being treated for ethanol.

Thankfully, there are now multiple local sources for 'pure' gasoline and I haven't run any of the corn crap in years.
    Who controls John Gill?

4. Member
    Did that come from the the lines inside the motor? or lines from the tank to the motor? What year motor? What year boat?
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    Did that come from the the lines inside the motor? or lines from the tank to the motor? What year motor? What year boat?
    Likely the lines from the tank to the motor. I had a 225 Pro-XS that did the same exact thing.

6. Member
    Here ya go; same thing happened to mine with the corn fuel & non-compliant lines. This (the inner lining of the line) is what came out of the VST...
    Just curious, Mercury fuel lines?

7. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Just curious, Mercury fuel lines?

I believe so, Mike, but I honestly can't swear to it... going on 10 years since it happened.

...and this was from tank to outboard. I replaced everything.
    Who controls John Gill?

8. Member
    My 2008 boat had a Merc recall because the fuel lines weren’t up to the unleaded fuel requirements. They hadn’t started to breakdown yet but there was a difference in looks between new and used hose.

Yup. Here is what it looks like shortly before the filters clog:

My boat was built in 2007, and this was approximately 2010ish. I was fortunate to catch the issue before it became a BIG issue.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    I thought it was a '08 Mercury 4-stroke, with original gas line. It's actually a 2 stroke. The part pictured is the fuel pump, sorry about the pic quality.

(606)305-1956

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    1999 boat with 1999 fuel lines... I have ran this rig since 2001 and put nothing but non ethanol fuel in it. I have had people tell me I have wasted a lot of money over the years paying .30-.40 more a gallon for non ethanol fuel. I wish they could see post like this before they make their comments

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Here ya go; same thing happened to mine with the corn fuel & non-compliant lines. This (the inner layer of the line) is what came out of the VST...

And the above happened, despite every gallon of fuel ever run in the boat being treated for ethanol.

Thankfully, there are now multiple local sources for 'pure' gasoline and I haven't run any of the corn crap in years.
    The problem with the "pure" gasoline around here is most of it is 91+ octane. In an engine not designed for it, it doesn't do you any favors... Lucky my engine is a 2017 and the system has no issues with ethanol.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeNix View Post
    I thought it was a '08 Mercury 4-stroke, with original gas line. It's actually a 2 stroke. The part pictured is the fuel pump, sorry about the pic quality.
    Yep...that's the pulse pump. My 225 was a 2006 and it looked an awful lot like that. It started to starve the engine of fuel on top end. Replaced all the lines and rebuilt the pulse pump and never had another problem with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    1999 boat with 1999 fuel lines... I have ran this rig since 2001 and put nothing but non ethanol fuel in it. I have had people tell me I have wasted a lot of money over the years paying .30-.40 more a gallon for non ethanol fuel. I wish they could see post like this before they make their comments
    Non ethanol fuel will cause this as well just take longer
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Beenix, glad you got it figured out. what year is this motor?
    Last edited by yanknbass; 06-24-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

16. Member
    05 Lund DF 200 Zuki original line's, its lived its whole life on E10 must be a gas line problem.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    sold my 99 boat in January of this year - 2020. Ran ethanol fuel from day one and it ran just as good in 2020. Now, I did replace the fuel lines with ones designed for ethanol. Ethanol does not hurt the motor itself. Just like the pictures show it was breaking down the fuel line that was not designed for ethanol.
    Fuel treatments are a joke. Adding their miracle alcohol or kerosene in that small quantity is not doing squat. It does not hurt it in those small amounts, but does not help. New fuel has additives that already help internally "clean" the engine so you do not need to add anything for that either