Thread: Lake ideas

Lake ideas

Looking to come from central illinois to do some smallmouth fishing and trying to get a gameplan together for a trip next year. I only have a 25hp 17.5ft aluminum boat. Would love to fish big water, but realize its probably better to find smaller water. Anybody have any advice on a lake they would choose. Numbers are always fun but this trip i would definately be looking for size over numbers. Is the Detroit River a good option with this size boat or will that be too big as well. Will need a lake with a place to stay nearby as well, and if you had a month that seems to be best. Any advice is appreciated, thanks

I would stay away from the Detroit Metro area myself and head North for a Vacation Type Fishing Trip. The Detroit River and Lake St. Clair are US side only due to Covid 19. The Canadians are patrolling the border and turning everyone away which means the US side is getting all the pressure. I would head towards the Traverse City area since the fishing options are endless there for both Largemouth and Smallmouth for both size and numbers, plus it's a beautiful place to visit. Dozens of lakes to choose from both inland and Big Water. As far as when to go, Spring is best for easy shallow water fishing. The rest of the year is still good but you have to work a little harder to find them.
    Last edited by LennyB; 06-27-2020 at 08:02 AM.

3. Member
    Appreciate it LennyB, i believe we have chosen the Traverse Bay area over going to Sturgeon Bay as the other small lakes in the area give us better options in case of bad weather. 6-12 of June is when we are thinking of going, Does that seem early? Late? or just right?

As long as the weather is stable it should be good. The small lakes that warm quicker will be spawn to post spawn. The bigger inland ones will be spawn. The Great Lakes will be pre-spawn to spawn. Everything can get bumped a little one way or the other depending on when the winter breaks and how fast it warms up.