Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detroit Lakes MN or Mercer County WI ?

Our mid July trip to Ontario was canceled ( super disappointing). We rescheduled for the first of September but I don’t have high hopes of the border being open by then. We are thinking about going to one of the areas mentioned in the title. We like exploring and finding small hidden gems. We usually wear the bass out with a topwater and a wacky rig up there and was wondering if you could fish the lakes in those two areas the same way. We were thinking of sticking with the July plan and just making it a long weekend trip or holding out for Canada in September and if the border is still closed going then for the week.

Detroit Lakes MN or Mercer county WI?

July or September better (easier) for bass fishing?

Any information on these areas (good bass lakes, places to stay) would be greatly appreciated !

feel free to pm me if needed ..... thanks!

2. Member
    I don’t think you can go wrong with either. For me personally having fished the north country most of my life, September can be a little tougher. In fact it sounds counterintuitive but July and August are my favorite months for MN bass.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

3. Member
    Are you thinking the Turtle Flambeau Flowage? I have a friend who has a lake house in the Detroit Lakes area and have rented numerous cabins in the Mercer area. I like the Mercer area better especially if you have canoes or kayaks. The river fishing provides very unpressured smallmouth. It has been five years since I have fished the TFF, but there were a lot of smallmouth, but not a lot of size. Something around 99% of the shoreline of the TFF is owned by the DNR, so it feels like you are in Canada. There are a lot of stumps, so it can be a prop eater. Detroit Lakes area would be my pick if musky fishing.

Wisconsin

Buy some Spotted Cow Beer while you are there.

5. Member
    You may want to edit your title since WI does not have a county named Mercer, so it's likely that no one knows where you're talking about.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HobeyBaker View Post
    Are you thinking the Turtle Flambeau Flowage? I have a friend who has a lake house in the Detroit Lakes area and have rented numerous cabins in the Mercer area. I like the Mercer area better especially if you have canoes or kayaks. The river fishing provides very unpressured smallmouth. It has been five years since I have fished the TFF, but there were a lot of smallmouth, but not a lot of size. Something around 99% of the shoreline of the TFF is owned by the DNR, so it feels like you are in Canada. There are a lot of stumps, so it can be a prop eater. Detroit Lakes area would be my pick if musky fishing.
    The TFF does have a very "way up north" feel to it. Campsights were first come, first served back when I use to go up there, which is 20 years ago. I did hit a tall stump on plane with my 150. No damage was done, thankfully.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    You may want to edit your title since WI does not have a county named Mercer, so it's likely that no one knows where you're talking about.
    think he means Mercer Wi. In Iron County

8. Member
    If your fishing just big and small Detroit lake in July,they aren't going to have a up North feel, more like a babes,bikini,wake boat feel lol. But there's hundreds of less crowded lakes (smaller)in Becker and Ottertail counties that you can fish with out crowds.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    think he means Mercer Wi. In Iron County
    This ...when I googled Mercer it filled in the word county so I just assumed it was also the county

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HobeyBaker View Post
    Yes thinking of Turrtle Flambeau Flowage... was thinking about staying around Springstead and fishing some of the smaller lakes in the area

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespin View Post
    Yes thinking of Turrtle Flambeau Flowage... was thinking about staying around Springstead and fishing some of the smaller lakes in the area
    I will not put my boat in there. It's not mapped very well.

I moved to WI a little over 10 years ago. A very good friend of mine is a WI native. He's been fishing that water with his family for a number of years, and even so, in the last 5 years he's lost two lower units on that body of water due to boulder strikes.

If you tell us what you're wanting to fish for, and what size water you're looking for, as well as any other requirements, I may be able to make some recommendations.

12. Member
    Check out the Washburn/Sawyer county area in WI. Tons of lakes lots of hidden gems and great smallie fishing. I'm a little biased since I live here but there are too many lakes and not enough time to fish them all
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowabass3826 View Post
    I don’t think you can go wrong with either. For me personally having fished the north country most of my life, September can be a little tougher. In fact it sounds counterintuitive but July and August are my favorite months for MN bass.

July is way better fishing than September, in Mn. WAY better!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    July is way better fishing than September, in Mn. WAY better!!
    Yeah, as far north as he's talking about water temps in WI are already on the way back down, and it's usually in the 30s overnight in WI. There have been odd years where it's been warmer, but labor day really IS the end of summer in WI.

That said, bring on the fall musky bite!! Lol

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    I will not put my boat in there. It's not mapped very well.

I moved to WI a little over 10 years ago. A very good friend of mine is a WI native. He's been fishing that water with his family for a number of years, and even so, in the last 5 years he's lost two lower units on that body of water due to boulder strikes.

If you tell us what you're wanting to fish for, and what size water you're looking for, as well as any other requirements, I may be able to make some recommendations.
    fishing just for bass largemouth or smallmouth ..don’t Mind catching occasional toothy one...looking for smaller lakes 2000 acres or less... thank you

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespin View Post
    fishing just for bass largemouth or smallmouth ..don’t Mind catching occasional toothy one...looking for smaller lakes 2000 acres or less... thank you
    I'd look at chains then instead of flowages. You'll have lots of water in total, but smaller individual lakes (easier to find sheltered lakes if needed), and in general, fewer hazards. The lac du Flambeau chain is good, as is the eagle river/three lakes chain. Depending how far you want to travel, and if you want to deal with multiple fishing licenses, the Cisco chain is very nice as well (though maps are not as good as ldf and there are a *few* more hazards). Cisco is really in the middle of nowhere. Ldf is near Minocqua, so plenty of places to eat & stay, and eagle river/three lakes is near towns by the same names.

If you insist on a flowage, I'd go to chippewa before turtle. September could be questionable with the draw-down (I've seen it drawn down as much as 10 feet), but July/August would be fine. Lots of places to stay in the Hayward area.

17. Member
    Wisconsin

The Triggs in Eagle River think I'm a raging alcoholic, as I usually buy 2-3 cases each month I'm up there for me, son in law, and friends. My vote is for Wisconsin, but then again I loved it enough to buy a place there.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

18. Member
    Wisconsin

If someone gave that to me for free I'd dump it on the ground - for multiple reasons.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    The Triggs in Eagle River think I'm a raging alcoholic, as I usually buy 2-3 cases each month I'm up there for me, son in law, and friends. My vote is for Wisconsin, but then again I loved it enough to buy a place there.

2-3 cases is a Friday Night in WI.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    2-3 cases is a Friday Night in WI.
    lol. You beat me to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast