alderbaran rough retrieve

i have an alderbaran 50 that is about 5 years old that is rough when retrieving. I have cleaned and lubed the reel several times and even replaced the bearing under the drive shaft. The bearing seemed to improve it slightly. I am thinking the gears need replacing. i know they are aluminum and susceptible to wear more than brass. Thoughts
    thanks

If it were me, I would send it to Dan at Reelex. I have never heard a bad word about his service.

3. Member
    The Core 50mg7 set will drop right in. I believe they are under $30 for a set. Or you could try the 6:4 set from the Chronarch 50e. Assuming your Alde 50 is based off this platform and not one of the newer ones

4. Member
    I bought it late in 2015 and I believe they were just released on the market at that time

5. Member
    Could be the anti reverse pawl. If those teeth aren’t perfectly aligned, you’ll get noise and a rough retrieve. They are fragile and easily bent too. Just went through this with a Chronarch E and ended up just taking the pawl out.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Banned
    More than likely you need to replace the bearings that support the pinion gear.

7. Member
    lgmouth,glad you mentioned the pinion bearing. I just replaced it and will tie it try

its a combination of gear/bearing. Those gears with significant use have gear life of about 2 years or so generally.I would change gear set and replace the pinion bearing with a new one. Dan
    Last edited by reelex; 06-24-2020 at 11:03 AM.

9. Member
    That is what is was thinking Dan, can you recommend a brass gear set from other shimano models that work with the alderbaran?

thanks

I wouldn't. I'd stick with originals. Dan

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTriton View Post
    That is what is was thinking Dan, can you recommend a brass gear set from other shimano models that work with the alderbaran?

thanks
    Im with you. Get the brass gears and be done (if can be). Call Spanky at The Tackle Trap and ask him, he definitely would know if there is a way. Its sad that Shimano has aluminum gears that wear soo quick, and I have Doyo/Banax reels that have aluminum gears that dont have issues. I have a few clients that fish HARD down here, and no issues, even in 10 year old reels. Shimano has become quite pathetic in my eyes.

Not in this reel, there's more to main and pinion gear in this reel. Dan

13. Member
    I have a set of 6.8 brass micro module gears from a conquest bfs in my aldebaran bfs and they have been superb. Super smooth and reduce the hollow feeling of the aldebaran.