Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not getting a new motor what are my best options

Got the ok to spend around 10k on a new to me motor. Have a 89 393v that i have made into what i want in a boat also have a 89 dt200 that is keeping me from enjoying time on the water. what are your opinions on brand. also boat is rated at 200 why not go 250 at the same weight? i have upgraded to hydro steering and jackplate.

2. Member
    For one, going above the coast guard rating will void any insurance claim you may ever have and will make you 100% liable for any damages caused by an accident. I'd look for a good used 200 and run it or buy a new 200 and have some peace of mind.

3. Member
    You should do pretty well. Never dealt with them but Diamond listed a 2020 DF200 for $12,500.
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...ack-103228523/

Call around, maybe someone has last years or old stock.
    I purchased my last outboard from Team C & O. Great people to deal with, shipped to my local dealer for install. and I believe they are a bbc sponsor.

If you have $10K to spend, and want a 250 with a 200hp rating so you don't get into any trouble (would be a ticket in some states, and might cause you some grief if involved in an insurance claim) I would look at a used Yamaha SHO 200 and have it reflashed by Hydrotec in Nixa, MO. I like Mercs, so I hunted around until I found a late model low hour 200 EFI with the down draft intake and Motorola electronics. This thing is dead reliable, strong, light, and they can be found for half your budget.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

5. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    You should do pretty well. Never dealt with them but Diamond listed a 2020 DF200 for $12,500.
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...ack-103228523/

Call around, maybe someone has last years or old stock.
    I purchased my last outboard from Team C & O. Great people to deal with, shipped to my local dealer for install. and I believe they are a bbc sponsor.
    I've heard a lot of good things about the reliability of the new Suzie motors. Word on the boat ramp is they aren't as fast as a Merc/Yammie/Rude but they're reliable.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about the reliability of the new Suzie motors. Word on the boat ramp is they aren't as fast as a Merc/Yammie/Rude but they're reliable.
    They are geared granny low, which is great for moving a heavily loaded boat.

7. Member
    All great info thanks

I'm sure the current 200s are a good bit heavier then the older 200s.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    I've found lots of used 250s but rarely a used 200, good luck, I'd like a Pro XS myself.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    True statement. I fish occasionally with a local salt water guiding outfit that recently went to Suzi from Yamaha. They have 9 (I think) identical boats, and lost 2-3 mph top speed on all. However, the fuel mileage gain and reliability outweighed any speed concerns. They put about 350-400 hours per year on their motors. Been running the Suzis for the last 4 years.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    For one, going above the coast guard rating will void any insurance claim you may ever have and will make you 100% liable for any damages caused by an accident. I'd look for a good used 200 and run it or buy a new 200 and have some peace of mind.
    Maybe....possibly.

have you ever had a vehicle claim denied because you added a few horsepower to the car? Nope. Likely NEVER happen on a boat either. But, hearsay is enough to become fact on the internet.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    Maybe....possibly.

have you ever had a vehicle claim denied because you added a few horsepower to the car? Nope. Likely NEVER happen on a boat either. But, hearsay is enough to become fact on the internet.
    Cars do not have a government plate on them with a maximum horsepower rating. If the plate says 200 and you go over 200, no insurance company will ever cover any claim you make. Easiest out they could ever ask for. Just about any dealer will not install a motor rated higher than the plate either for liability reasons. They'll sell you a motor and you can rig it yourself, but they wont cover it.

13. Member
    Please think about the old steering cables before you mount a motor that will be the talk of the town. Most big HP motors have Sea Star Steering.

14. Member
    I have already upgraded to Seastar hydraulic steering and Seastar jack plate both rated for over 400 Pretty much the only thing I did not upgrade was the motor. The old Suzuki weighs in at 450lb I think I have figured it out if I could find one looking for a 2015 Plus Yamaha SHO 200 talk to some people at Hydrotech and they say it would be no problem to chip up to above 250 hp anyhow with a 200 hp rated engine..

15. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    True statement. I fish occasionally with a local salt water guiding outfit that recently went to Suzi from Yamaha. They have 9 (I think) identical boats, and lost 2-3 mph top speed on all. However, the fuel mileage gain and reliability outweighed any speed concerns. They put about 350-400 hours per year on their motors. Been running the Suzis for the last 4 years.
    My buddy fishes against a guy with the big aircraft carrier Falcon (the first model they came out with) and it has a 250 Suzie. He outruns that boat with a Champion 196 with 200 Optipop with newer Pro XS powerhead (or so they said when they bolted it on after the original powerhead from 2001 blew up on Monticello here in AR of all lakes, lol). The Champion with him and his partner will do 67 normally. I keep telling him that Falcon makes that old Champion look like a dingy and that's a lot of boat for that 250 to push but he still thinks that Falcon should be faster than it is. Maybe that Falcon would break 70 with a Merc or Yammie but who knows. I do know I wouldn't mind my next boat having a Suzie on it for reliability like you said. Speed ain't everything, lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    Maybe....possibly.

Fact: in some states such as Oklahoma the first time you get caught on public waters with a over rated boat you get a ticket second offense they will impound the boat. Learned that lesson myself.

Just check your state laws it's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    Cars do not have a government plate on them with a maximum horsepower rating. If the plate says 200 and you go over 200, no insurance company will ever cover any claim you make. Easiest out they could ever ask for. Just about any dealer will not install a motor rated higher than the plate either for liability reasons. They'll sell you a motor and you can rig it yourself, but they wont cover it.
    Overpowering is a reason insurance companies would reject your application or non-renew a policy. They can't cancel your policy midterm or deny a claim unless you've lied on your application or renewal questionnaire about the actual horsepower of the engine.

Many companies will cover an overpowered boat, just have to shop around and tell the truth.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

18. Member
    If you want to go big, 4.2l 200 Yamaha SHO and flash it to 300hp.

Probably be able to find a used one someone is trying to repower.

19. Member
    Doesn't the Merc 200 Pro XS actually have 220 HP?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

20. Member
    I went with a 200 Suzuki 4 stroke for about $15K BUT Evinrude has a sale:
    Massive discounts on all Evinrude Outboards in stock. For more info and pricing see our website at www.xxxxxxxxxxx NEW ENGINES ,122C150PX G2....$10,150 E135DHX.......$10,167150 G2..........$10,880 E150DSL.......$11,320 E150DGL.......$11,423 E150DPX.......$11,473 E200XH G2....$12,399

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast