Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Megabass destroyer issues...

So i bought 2 megabass destroyers around 1.5-2 years ago. Both of these rods have had the eyelet on the tip come out twice. Ive had to replace the tip and everytime i do this i feel like it it makes the tip weaker. One is the fmj and one is the valdiva. The valdiva lost around 1.5" the last time i had to replace the tip and the fmj lost a little of the rod tip as well. Just frustrating for this to keep happening on a $400 rod. Anyone else have issues like this with them? I know theres only a 1 year warranty on these.

2. Member
    I've not owned either of those rods but I do have several MB rods and never had any issues as you described.

Megabass of America Rod Warranty

Megabass of America rods have a 3 year warranty good to the original owner only with a valid receipt from an authorized US dealer.

I have both the Megabass US Destroyer Valdiva and FMJ and have put a lot of mileage on them. I haven't had any eyes come out nor tips break, but I don't use the tips as jig retrievers (not saying that you do, but lots of guys do unfortunately!). I did break a prototype Valdiva before they were released in the US, and I did have a production Valdiva break on a hook set, but it was covered under warranty and replaced. I know some guys have had some break issues with a few models, and I'm sure they'll chime in For the one break, there are hundreds of other guys enjoying the US Destroyer rods that you'll never hear from however...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Megabass of America Rod Warranty

Megabass of America rods have a 3 year warranty good to the original owner only with a valid receipt from an authorized US dealer.

I have both the Megabass US Destroyer Valdiva and FMJ and have put a lot of mileage on them. I haven't had any eyes come out nor tips break, but I don't use the tips as jig retrievers (not saying that you do, but lots of guys do unfortunately!). I did break a prototype Valdiva before they were released in the US, and I did have a production Valdiva break on a hook set, but it was covered under warranty and replaced. I know some guys have had some break issues with a few models, and I'm sure they'll chime in For the one break, there are hundreds of other guys enjoying the US Destroyer rods that you'll never hear from however...
    thanks. Both rods i bought from the tackletrap. It just the tips im having issues with. Like i mention both rods have lost some length and i feel like its just a matter of time before a larger section of the tip breaks. Would something like the issue im having be covered under warranty? Thanks

Why are you having to cut length to replace a tip? I may have misread it and if so my apologies. If rods are still within warranty period please shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team do work View Post
    thanks. Both rods i bought from the tackletrap. It just the tips im having issues with. Like i mention both rods have lost some length and i feel like its just a matter of time before a larger section of the tip breaks. Would something like the issue im having be covered under warranty? Thanks
    Thank you! I'll be happy to provide the necessary receipts for any warranty claims if you don't have copies, just let me know. I'd recommend you follow up with Mark Perry in the meantime since he's generously offered his expert assistance!

7. Member
    Jeez, I didn't know anybody used the tips as "jig retrievers". I don't even know what that exactly means but sounds like a pretty bad idea.

8. Member
    All you need to do when replacing a rod tip is heat up the “tube” part with a lighter and pull it off with a pair of pliers. Use 5 min epoxy to glue the new one on. I’m guessing you’re cutting the blank since you’re mentioning losing an inch and a half? The tip guides on the Destroyers are some of the best ones Fuji makes. Damaged tip guides happen from time to time, but it’s pretty rare to have so many bad tip guides, especially the Fuji’s used on the Destroyers.

9. Member
    Replacing a tip isn't too hard. There shouldn't be any need to cut the blank itself. There should be some youtube videos on it, but you can also bring your rod to any custom rod builder or some tackle shops. I would also use a rod building tip top adhesive as opposed to epoxy or super glue.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    Replacing a tip isn't too hard. There shouldn't be any need to cut the blank itself. There should be some youtube videos on it, but you can also bring your rod to any custom rod builder or some tackle shops. I would also use a rod building tip top adhesive as opposed to epoxy or super glue.
    guys i did not cut the tip to replace it. Both rods broke off when replacing the tip. I have replaced tips on numerous rods before. When i heated up the old tip it weakend the tip and about 1 to 1.5" of both rods broke off. It is what it is. It would cost me $160 for each rod to get replaced plus shipping the rods back to them. Im just gonna take my lose and not buy anymore megabass rods. Im sure alot of guys have had zero issues but both the ones i have had the same problem. That being said the rods are really nice and sensitive. Ive just had to many issues with megabass products to keep buying them.

11. Member
    Interesting problem.....��

12. Member
    I must be missing something. How do you break off over an inch of rod tip just by heating the tip top guide for removal?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I must be missing something. How do you break off over an inch of rod tip just by heating the tip top guide for removal?
    exactly, thats y i made this post to see if anyone else has had the same issue. Once i heated the tip up and removed the old tip around 1" became very weak and i had to remove it in order to put new tip on. I truly believe its a defect in the rod i have. Not saying thats 100% the case but i have replaced numerous tips in past and never an issue. It is what it is not a huge deal ill just use them them they completely break.

14. Member
    Interesting. I've replaced a few tips on those without any problems. I'll be more careful on them from now on.

15. Member
    Too many breakage issues with the ones I have owned. Sold them got rid of them as I am not going to keep shelling out $160 for a replacement after the first one breaks! Real shame the quality control seems to be lacking. Never had problems with any of there other rods.

16. Banned
    Megabass seems to have alot of problems lately levante discontinued beacuase they were exploding on hook sets

OP, you need to reach out to Megabass either thru Mark Perry or send Ms. Catherine ( customerservice@megabass.com ) or ( c.williams@megabass.com )an email, you might be surprised how quick she will respond , I can not say enough good things about Megabass customer service, went thru some rod breakage issues last year and they went above and beyond what they had to do , was noting but impressed with these folks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    Megabass seems to have alot of problems lately levante discontinued beacuase they were exploding on hook sets

The Levantes were not discontinued. They are getting an update and will be released again as soon as possible. There was a small percentage on g2 Levantes that had some issues. There are many still out there being fished with no issues. MB chose to offer a voluntary recall. I can tell you the Levante update will be worth the wait.

I own a bunch of MB rods across all the lineups and am pretty hard on them. No issues at all. As was stated if anyone has any issues with a MB rod or product please feel free to contact Megabass direct or shoot me a message. If I do not know the answer I will find out. I will make sure any concerns are passed on and addressed.
    I know firsthand how much MB values its customers and have the utmost confidence that MB customer service is among the best when an issue arises.

19. Member
    I broke three destroyers. They took care of them but I had zero confidence in them and got rid of all of them. Switched to Conquests and never had another issue. I have a few of the new Orochi XX rods and they have been fine.

20. Member
    Had both my 2yr old FMJ and 2nd Daemos snap yesterday. Rods very well taken care for always in rod sock and during the off season on my rod rack. I only fish 6 months of the year so not a lot wear and tear, also throw in I've never fished docks, stumps or lay downs mostly open water smallmouth makes it more confusing why these would snap on me. Never worried before about MB warranty as I know how I care for my equipment but these US Destroyers are very brittle. Needless to say it will cost me $320 to replace plus shipping the broken rods to them so lets call it $350 or so. I planned on selling them but I'm lucky to get $400 for both plus shipping , almost a wash. So I'll keep my money and move on from MB all together. Just FYI, I'm not bitter I understood the warranty before purchase guess luck not on my side. Owned many MB rods over the years with no breakage it is what it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phippy; 07-10-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast