Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Factory rev limiter for ‘97 ProMax was 6750rpm. In 2000/2001 Merc issued a service bulletin and remapped the fuel curve top to bottom. Lighter boats like bullet and Alison weren’t affected much. Heavier hulls, like my ‘96 209TE, got killed.

2. Member
    Where did you go JP. Need a ending to this book. LOL. Did you get it figured out?
    and what kind of numbers are you seeing now?

3. Member
    Welcome.

Good to have you onboard! I'm a Tennessee boy myself now living in Northern Kentucky. Oak Ridge born and raised, UT class of '74.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRIMSONGAMBLER View Post
    Where did you go JP. Need a ending to this book. LOL. Did you get it figured out?
    and what kind of numbers are you seeing now?

Sorry bud, I got nothing really new to report as far as numbers. Still hitting a wall at 65mph with the new ecu. But the ecu got the boat running again. Then on test day of the new ecu, I cracked a blade on my tro-4. Lol. Never ends. So anyway, the past couple weeks been fishing with a 26p bravo which I sold as it was way too big, then a 26p turbo, which ran the same rpms as the 24p powertech, but wouldn't lift the boat to get past 60mph. This weekend I picked up a 23p trophy plus. Ran the boat for about an hr and half, got up to 6200 rpms with 3 adults in the boat but barely made it to 65mph and again couldn't get the boat completely out of the water. Im thinking the 23p now isn't lifting the boat enough due to the water temps being in the upper 80's. I got a 23p powertech that will b in later this week. Don't think I need it now, but figured it would b a good opportunity to compare the powertech to the trophy.

As far as the motor goes, my primer buld don't prime, so I'm gonna swap it out and the hose from the tank so thats all new, and check the fuel pressure. Other than that, i can't think of anything else that would cause the motor to not run 100%. So far its checking out, and is a lot happier with the 23p on the back of it.

6. Member
    what does the engine tag say on year model and max rpm.

7. Member
    what does the engine tag say on year model and max rpm.
    My builder told me 6750 is rev limiter, and to prop the boat to 6500. The tag seems to be missing or painted over, but I remember somewhere in 6200-6400 or something close to there.

8. Member
    were running the same boat down to the same colors but little different engines. when i bought it it had a 97 225 pro max. i pushed that engine to 7000 rpms a couple times to see if it would stay together but i think that was the max for it . it now has a 2001 250 xb on it with max rpm at 6100. both engines gave me 82 mph gps. your phone gps reading will be correct my phone, garmin,humminbird has all gave me the same reading.i ran a lot of different props and settled on a razor four 14.5 x 25 straight not the fastest but hole shot and handling were great.i wouldn't spend anymore money on props untill you get the motor right at 65 mph your not on the pad. when it goes to the pad you'll start playing with the props then.if you think it handles ill now just wait untill you balance it on pad. lol.The numbers you are posting dont make sense. I would get a mercury manual and go page by page,wire by wire and check it even a loose ground will cause chaos.i've seen restricted exhaust rob horsepower.it could be so many different things.

9. Member
    CRIMSON, yeah, none of it makes sense to me either. I didnt know much when I got this boat, but dammit I've learned a lot since. Only enough to be dangerous tho. I have a pdf of the manual on my phone. Not as nice as a book but worked for me. I've decided to just let it run in its happy range for now and enjoy it for what I bought it for. Atleast for a bit. But next time I start digging, ill get the manual out and dig deep. I'm going to make it a priority on the list to weigh the boat also.

10. Member
    jump over to the Mercury forum, good thing about the BBC is somebody has dealt with our problems at some time or another and you may get better help there on mechanical problems.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JPedalino View Post
    Sorry bud, I got nothing really new to report as far as numbers. Still hitting a wall at 65mph with the new ecu. But the ecu got the boat running again. Then on test day of the new ecu, I cracked a blade on my tro-4. Lol. Never ends. So anyway, the past couple weeks been fishing with a 26p bravo which I sold as it was way too big, then a 26p turbo, which ran the same rpms as the 24p powertech, but wouldn't lift the boat to get past 60mph. This weekend I picked up a 23p trophy plus. Ran the boat for about an hr and half, got up to 6200 rpms with 3 adults in the boat but barely made it to 65mph and again couldn't get the boat completely out of the water. Im thinking the 23p now isn't lifting the boat enough due to the water temps being in the upper 80's. I got a 23p powertech that will b in later this week. Don't think I need it now, but figured it would b a good opportunity to compare the powertech to the trophy.

As far as the motor goes, my primer buld don't prime, so I'm gonna swap it out and the hose from the tank so thats all new, and check the fuel pressure. Other than that, i can't think of anything else that would cause the motor to not run 100%. So far its checking out, and is a lot happier with the 23p on the back of it.
    yes make sure you change the gas lines and the primer bulb from the tank to the engine. this gas today will eat up the inside of the gas line and also not give the motor the amount of fuel it needs.

12. Member
    jump over to the Mercury forum, good thing about the BBC is somebody has dealt with our problems at some time or another and you may get better help there on mechanical problems.
    Will do bud. Im not so sure I actually have a mechanical problem but when I dig back into it, ill head to that forum for help. Ive been wondering about the weight of the boat lately, thinking maybe it's water logged. Im not sure how well it was kept dry by the previous own for the 10 years he owned it. He also never ran faster than 68mph, which was also the fastest I've had mine, once.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbritt View Post
    yes make sure you change the gas lines and the primer bulb from the tank to the engine. this gas today will eat up the inside of the gas line and also not give the motor the amount of fuel it needs.
    I plan on it. Just found out my builder only replaced the line from the bulb to the motor. So im going to replace the rest of the line and the bulb. A local buddy had a promax on a norris craft that he said acted very similar and was fixed by replacing a bad primer bulb.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123