Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chsapeak View Post
    I agree with Low Slung Cruiser especially # 3. You mentioned you trim it up till it gets a little unstable and then back it back down. I went through the exact same thing when I first jumped in my Gambler. Over time though for some reason that unstable point was at a little higher speed. I was never able to break 65 and thought the boat hull was defective..lol.. Now it flies.. Two guys with tourney load 78 mph, lone boater and i touch 80. Never changed a prop or did a thing except seat time. I guarantee if I pulled an experienced boater out of most any other brand they'd never be able to break 65 in my boat today. Not to mention I'd be scared to death to ride with them. Again to echo Low Slung I think your just missing the Air.. Good Luck and keep us posted.

PS.. If it is indeed seat time, remember when it gets squirrly on ya and you need to back off the throttle, don't just drop right off slowly back down and let the boat settle easily on the water. I found out early on that the ride after it drops onto the water at a high speed chine can be a scary one for sure.
    Thanks. Im really hoping its seat time. I just spent a large amount of money getting this promax redone. Over the last 5 hrs or so, I have really tried driving just past the edge of my comfort level and have noticed sometimes the walk gets easier to control, but i still find myself bumping the trim down often to settle the boat back down just long enough to feel comfortable to bump it back up. I did break 65 Friday evening. A whopping 66mph before I approached a curve in the river and a couple pleasure boaters. Do you have it matted to the floor when you hit 65? It takes everything my motor has to get to 65mph and I'm worried that even when I keep the boat under control, I got nothing left to accelerate past.

2. Member
    Put some water in the port side livewell and see if it makes a difference in the walk.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Hey man, sounds like you've got Randy Sawyer as your guy. Just curious but which gearcase are you running?
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad2002xrd View Post
    Hey man, sounds like you've got Randy Sawyer as your guy. Just curious but which gearcase are you running?
    yes, Randy Sawyer did my motor and he's an awesome guy to do business with. Best I can tell, and what he also confirmed is I got a 1.87 tourquemaster

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Good deal, a TM is the best case for yours IMO. Cable or hydraulic steering on your rig?
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad2002xrd View Post
    Good deal, a TM is the best case for yours IMO. Cable or hydraulic steering on your rig?
    Hydro steering.

7. Member
    Do you have any batteries mounted in the front? This sounds like setup. You also should check your prop to pad measurement. Start at 3.5” below pad. Watch your water pressure.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman View Post
    Do you have any batteries mounted in the front? This sounds like setup. You also should check your prop to pad measurement. Start at 3.5” below pad. Watch your water pressure.
    My batteries are in the stock location, and I've been everywhere with prop height from 4" below up to 2" below where i was on the verge of loosing water pressure. With 12" of setback, been through 5 props from 23p up to 26p, and nothing changes. The boat performs the same from 2500 rpms and up no matter which prop or prop height I run. My builder swears its not in the motor, and is not thinking its the design of the pad on these boats. Lol. The 2 tapered edges of the pad, that are almost shaped like wedges (front to rear direction) on the outter edges of the pad. He talked to a guy that is about to flip his 19ft Gambler over and remove those 2 "wedges" from the pad and fiberglass the pad flat. This guy supposedly knows a guy who bought a new boat from gambler, complained, and Gambler came and picked his boat up and did just this and said it made all the difference. I still think my problem is my motor is not giving me 100% and am going to take it to another mechanic for a second opinion.

Shoot me a message after you hear from the other mechanic and tell me what he said.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambling209 View Post
    Shoot me a message after you hear from the other mechanic and tell me what he said.
    Will do bud.

11. Member
    If its the motor, it could be leak down. Another possibility is wet foam. But your pic doesn’t look like the boat sits low in the water for that to be the reason. Rest assured, we are all watching and waiting for the answer.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman View Post
    If its the motor, it could be leak down. Another possibility is wet foam. But your pic doesn’t look like the boat sits low in the water for that to be the reason. Rest assured, we are all watching and waiting for the answer.
    Thanks. Hopefully I'll get some answers soon enough, but for now I got nothing other than thinking it's in the motor. I checked the full throttle static timing today and it was spot on at 24° and the compression checked out today at 130 on 5 and 1 cylinder at 125. I'm thinking next of sending the ecu to brucato to get checked.

If your going to send them your ecu. Send injectors to.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambling209 View Post
    If your going to send them your ecu. Send injectors to.
    I'm going to call them today and I'll ask them about that. But the injector were cleaned and flowed at the rebuild and only got 40hrs on them since.

15. Member
    I also pulled the plugs yesterday and took a look at them. Im not too familiar with 2 strokes and was wondering if these look normal, for 40:1 oil mix, and about 28hrs since they were last removed and cleaned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    So a little update.... this past weekend had to get towed off the water. Got home to find the fuel pump in the vst wasnt coming on. Jumped the (-) to a good ground and the pump would turn on. I sent the ecu to Brucato and got a call back today.

The injector drivers are failing and inconsistently firing. Also the fuel pump driver works at idle, but when they introduce load, it intermittently cuts out. Sounds like I need an ecu.

Would the injector drivers be possibly causing a power issue, or will it simply miss fire?

Power issue for sure...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

18. Member
    Well here's to hoping a different ecu will wake this motor up.

19. Member
    That Pro Max should turn 6800 to 7000 all the time.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrob View Post
    That Pro Max should turn 6800 to 7000 all the time.
    Well mine was falling atleast 1k rpms short. My revy was set at 6750 on the last ecu. Last night I installed a virgen used mercury ecu. Gonna go water test today if the weather plays nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast