Douglas Lake in the Dark

How's it going fellow anglers! Got a question for you all. I have fished Douglas many years during the early morning, daytime, and evening. I keep hearing that Douglas is way better at night (this time of year at least) and that "you ain't never fished Douglas if you haven't at night!"...

This has me wanting to give it a shot, even though I've never been much of a night fisherman - at all really.

Anyone have any advice for Douglas at nighttime? Any baits or patterns that work wonders?

I always hear blacks/blues of spinnerbaits or worms - is this true for Douglas as well?

Thanks in advance!!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

2. Member
    50-70 fish nights are common in the summertime. A lot of small fish most of the time but they keep you awake and interested. Although you can catch fish on spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and jigs it is hard to beat a plastic worm at night there for number of bites. Any red version has always been good on Douglas.....mainly fish points in the 10-25 foot depth range and you will get bit.

I fished there one night briefly. Driving on the lake in pitch black freaked me out. I kept thinking what if their lights are out on the other boat.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

I don't blame you about running in the dark, I'm hoping to not have to go far from my usual ramp to catch some fish.

I love fishing a Texas rig and especially a worm through the day so night time should work just as well too. and I got some red colors so I should be set there.

Also, I wouldn't know what to do catching up to 70 fish in one night that would be crazy awesome to get on that bite, but we shall see!

Any topwaters work at night?

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

5. Member
    I guess I should have said "50-70 fish nights are not that uncommon" instead of just common. As with any other type and style of fishing there are certain tricks to the trade and some people excel better than others. Some people have a hard time lining up at night and spend more time fighting bugs than paying attention to what they are doing. Get a blacklight if you don't own one, use fluorescent line, and be a line watcher to detect strikes better in deeper water.

I used to love night fishing in my younger days.....loved fishing an hour before dark to an hour after daylight. Used to raise cain when they started changing night tournaments from 7PM-7AM to 7PM-2AM. Now in my older age, it would take me 3 days to recouperate from a 12 hour night trip.

As far as topwater there.....sure there will be some places like bridge rip rap and shallow rock where you can catch a few on a buzzbait occasionally, but the fish are mostly deeper in the summertime to stay near the depth of the thermocline for better oxygen content when the water temps get in the 80-90's.

Quote Originally Posted by sll View Post
    50-70 fish nights are common in the summertime. A lot of small fish most of the time but they keep you awake and interested. Although you can catch fish on spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and jigs it is hard to beat a plastic worm at night there for number of bites. Any red version has always been good on Douglas.....mainly fish points in the 10-25 foot depth range and you will get bit.
    I need to fish with you. I struggle to catch 6 or 7 in the day time. Lol
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    I need to fish with you. I struggle to catch 6 or 7 in the day time. Lol
    I promise you that it ain't got nothing to do with me. From July 4th to Labor Day everyone that night fishes there will tell you they at least 3-4 times more fish at night than in the day. Once the water temp gets 85-90 degrees those fish are sluggish and tired of the boat and jet ski traffic buzzing around all day. Once things settle down after the daytime traffic leaves the water calms and the bait gets shallower and the bass (crappie too) bite way better after dark.

If anyone ever wants to get someone interested in bass fishing, and they don't mind fishing at night, summertime on Douglas is a great trip as the action is really consistent and they will get bit. A lot of small fish mind you (10-14 inchers) but there are still some quality bass that gets caught too. It is like flipping a switch between day and night fishing there that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by sll View Post
    I promise you that it ain't got nothing to do with me. From July 4th to Labor Day everyone that night fishes there will tell you they at least 3-4 times more fish at night than in the day. Once the water temp gets 85-90 degrees those fish are sluggish and tired of the boat and jet ski traffic buzzing around all day. Once things settle down after the daytime traffic leaves the water calms and the bait gets shallower and the bass (crappie too) bite way better after dark.

If anyone ever wants to get someone interested in bass fishing, and they don't mind fishing at night, summertime on Douglas is a great trip as the action is really consistent and they will get bit. A lot of small fish mind you (10-14 inchers) but there are still some quality bass that gets caught too. It is like flipping a switch between day and night fishing there that time of year.

Now that right there sounds like fun to me! That's what I'm hoping for this time of year. It always seems to get like that for me in the summer, hot days with less than 10 fish per day on Douglas - that's why I'm trying to try this night fishing thing!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

9. Member
    Slow roll A purple short arm spinnerbait with a white twin tail grub on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ericl22 View Post
    Slow roll A purple short arm spinnerbait with a white twin tail grub on it.
    Pretty sure my wife bought a purple Strike King spinnerbait because it was "pretty"....looks like I'm taking that out of her box!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

11. Member
    Night Time is the right time for summer bass fishing on any lake in Tennessee. I am a night fishing fanatic. Night time spinnerbaitin' is the best.
    Especially the smallmouth, nothing like it when one loads the rod, jumps 3 feet out of the water and you hear the clanging of the spinnerbait in the air. Goosebumps
    thinking about it. I night fish up until about Thanksgiving. Once hunting season starts you have the lakes to yourself at night. It does not get any better than that!

Wow I honestly didn't know you could night fish til then! I thought it was just a summertime heat thing....but that's awesome!! and I'm definitely going to have to give that a shot!

Follow up on the post also: to they fellow that said purple spinnerbait - you are on it! I got that out of my wife's box and within 10 casts had one hooked up. Hoping to get bit on the worm at night too as that is my preferred "style".

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

13. Member
    I have worked nights for 12 years, so naturally on my nights off I'm on the lake. The summertime bite can be finicky at times, but mostly it's really good. +1 on the t-rig worms, but I prefer jigs myself. Seems to get those bigger bites. I recommend a powerful led flashlight for when you are running down the lake. I turn mine on, scan around, then back off for a few seconds and repeat. Typically I only run 35-40 at night. Also those places you've found to catch them during the day, still have active fish on them at night. If I were you I'd start on spots I'm familiar with. Good luck!!
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!

14. Member
    Went out last night and caught some good ones! Seems they have moved a little deeper but their still munching!! I love a good jig bite!!

Quote Originally Posted by East TN.Hunt-n-Fish View Post
    Went out last night and caught some good ones! Seems they have moved a little deeper but their still munching!! I love a good jig bite!!
    That's awesome! Thanks for the tips too by the way, gonna have to give that a shot as well. I'm hoping to head out there this weekend if all goes according to plan!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

16. Member
    Hope you make some jaws sore!!!

17. Banned
    Be familiar with the area you are going to fish. Didn’t an older gentleman crash into one of the old silos a few years ago and get killed?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfinger View Post
    Be familiar with the area you are going to fish. Didn’t an older gentleman crash into one of the old silos a few years ago and get killed?
    That was on Cherokee, but would be possible to do on Douglas too on the upper end.

19. Banned
    You are correct, I got the two switched.

Definitely wouldn't want to do that, let alone hit anything! And prayers for that gentleman and his family! My dad always says, and I agree with him, I think they should put some reflectors or a light or something on top of those old silos in any body of water. Especially the one up by the bridge there in Dandridge. At full pool (or over sometimes) that silo is just barely sticking out of the water - could cause for some major issues if someone wasn't as familiar as we are.

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇