Surge protection??

I am interested in buying a 30AMP surge protector for our new camper.
    I have done some research and haven't really decided on exactly what model I want to get.

Do any of you have any input on what has been good or bad to you?

I actually have a 50AMP TRC that my parents bought a few years ago that was re-manufactured when it had some issues. TRC sent them a brand new one then refurbished this one and sent it back to them. It's never been used since then. I'd love to be able to swap it out for a 30AMP or somehow use it but I don't think it's possible?

2. Member
    I purchased the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X after all the research I did. I haven't tried it, yet, since I'm usually on solar and not at a campground, but this seems to the choice of most. You'll find people who've camped for years w/o any protection, but I'm not willing to chance it. Cheap insurance. Good luck!

3. Member
    I bought the Hughs Autoformer Power Watchdog. It isn’t cheap, but it allows you view your power usage on an app on your phone. It will shut down power to your camper if the voltage is too high or too low and automatically restart once the power returns to normal. Another aspect I really like is that if you get a power surge and the surge protection is used up you can get a replacement from Hughs and you are good to go. Much nicer to replace one part than to have to replace the whole unit.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

4. Member
    I have the Progressive Ind. hardwired 50A unit. Moved it from our 5th wheel to our MH. Purchased back in 2014 and not one problem with it. Expensive compared to others, but it is much more then just a surge protector.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

5. Member
    Never used one and never had a problem

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Never used one and never had a problem
    That you know of. Low voltage conditions do damage that may not be as noticeable as a surge but over time will cause things to fail prematurely. If a low voltage condition is sustained for a longer period of time it can cause motors to burn up.

7. Member
    Well after much debate and making my head spin, I went with the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X. The reviews on Amazon were pretty solid and they have a lifetime warranty VS the competition which is just a few years. We'll give it a test run this weekend. Thanks for the input!!

8. Banned
    I've had the progressive for a few years. Had a cheaper one prior (looked like a dog bone) and it croaked after about a year. I've only had iffy power at one campground during my travels.

9. Member
    Watch this. I bought the Surge Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    I am interested in buying a 30AMP surge protector for our new camper.
    I have done some research and haven't really decided on exactly what model I want to get.

Do any of you have any input on what has been good or bad to you?

I actually have a 50AMP TRC that my parents bought a few years ago that was re-manufactured when it had some issues. TRC sent them a brand new one then refurbished this one and sent it back to them. It's never been used since then. I'd love to be able to swap it out for a 30AMP or somehow use it but I don't think it's possible?
    Can't you get a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter plug.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Can't you get a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter plug.
    I thought about that but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not?