Is there a HP rate on this lake?
    How is the bass fishing there?
    Not from the area?
    Where are the boat ramps located?
    Places to stay?
    ETC
    Thanks

2. Member
    No hp limit. Shallow water lake with lots of hazards and not all marked. Right now it’s pretty tough but they’re in there. I’d probably try to stay in Marion lots of places to stay there. Nicest boat ramp turn south at the west side of John A Logan college and make the first right and you’ll run right into it. Good Luck!

You will need a permit to fish it. Has a lot of grass. As mentioned above shallow with some areas to watch out for.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    No HP limit. One of my favorite lakes in the state for bass fishing. Lots of laydowns. I haven't been in a few years due to a move but there was very little grass the last time I was there. There aren't any unmarked hazards west of the Wolf Creek Bridge, which is most of the lake. Spillway Road ramp is the nicest, ramps on either side of 13 at the bridge aren't bad either. There's quite a few hotels in Marion that aren't bad. Giant City Lodge has nice cabins that are 20 minutes away. Laketree Inn off of Lake of Egypt would be another option. Cheap and barebones. If you have any amount of time to spend in Southern Illinois, make sure to spend some time on Lake of Egypt and Kinkaid also.
    Sean
    2016 Phoenix 721
    Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    I was there a couple weeks ago. The GreenBriar Ramp (mid Lake) is good as well as the West End Ramp (by the dam). There are no permit fees the remainder of this year due to COVID-19. Lots of shallow areas but it is fine if you just pay attention. The best and closest hotel is the Motel6 at the Marion Airport and is like $49 per night, clean and has places to park and charge your boat. It is only a mile or two down the road from the GreenBriar Ramp. The pot shop is next door if you like that stuff.

6. Member
    The lake used to develop an off-shore summer pattern, but not sure if it does anymore. Many of the major points have eroded way back leaving fallen trees, stumps, and ancient rip-rap piles well off the new shoreline.

7. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Do not need the pot shop, my partner is goofy enough. Going fishing not partying. Besides I liked the old way when it was illegal.
    Thank you all for your response. Much appreciated. Will post how we do, after Tuesday trip.