Best or at least 2nd best day ever on Gaston!!!

Guys I normally post on hear quite often about my good fishng trips, but I have not posted much lately... I guess this tells yall I have not had much success. I have had 3 lower units go out on me in the last 8 months, the covid deal, and not so great weather has hurt me as well. So enough of that lets get to talking fishing...

So we got to Gaston on Friday around 4:00 or so and by time we got everything unpacked the storms came. Our place is in great creek so we went out in between storms for an hour or 2 and stayed in the creek and managed 4-5 small ones here and there but not a lot happening. So my brother and I decided for Saturday morning we were going to the what I call the pad field up in the river on the other side of 85. I thought the water would be a little cleaner and a little warmer and get that frog bite on. NOPE did not happen!!! We spent about 45 minutes to an hour in there and not a bite, and the water was coffee colored. It was terrible. So what to do next.... We decided to stay in the river ( the water was a little clearer) try some current breaks ( they were running water like crazy) with some spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. The first stop we make we (my brother a friend and I) run a 50 yard stretch and catch 3 or 4. Not bad. We run it again catch another 3 or 4. All good fish most over 2lbs. Then our friend starts catching stripers. He caught 5 in total nothing huge but decent and fun. So we think we got the bass figured out. We hit another spot another 3 or 4 fish, another spot 3 or 4 fish. Then we go back and run the spots again and again. The fish keep coming. It was unreal. In total we caught about 50 bass. Every bass come off of a spinner bait or a chatterbait. 4 or 5 fish were around the 12-14" mark, most all others were over 2lbs. the biggest was 4.68lbs and I bet 10 fish were right at or over 3lbs. All of this was done in about 3 hours. Then like they say all good things must come to an end. I blew another lower unit. We fished a little more till the TM batteries were dead and limped the boat to the nearest ramp and call the ladies to bring the trailer.

It was an awesome morning for sure. The quality and quantity of fish was unbelievable for me. We even left them biting. So get out there guys when you can you never know when that special day is waiting for you.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Sounds like a great day of fishing, and catching, but what's up with all the lower units?

3. Member
    I wish I knew. I just put a post on here about it. No response as of yet.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    Great report. Glad you got on them. I'm hoping to go there soon. Getting over gall bladder surgery.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Glad you had fishing fun, Roger. Sure sorry about motor issues!!!!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Glad you had fishing fun, Roger. Sure sorry about motor issues!!!!!!
    Thanks.... I hope to ha e it fixed soon. Plan to be back there on the 2nd-6th to do it again. Maybe get down to roanoke rapids as well.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Thanks.... I hope to ha e it fixed soon. Plan to be back there on the 2nd-6th to do it again. Maybe get down to roanoke rapids as well.
    Do you fish the lake in Roanoke Rapids or the river?

8. Member
    Lake
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    That is great. I was at lake over weekend too. Putting some new graphs on boat so did not get out to fish. Took parents out on pontoon Sunday.

I have not fished up lake towards 85 any. Need to. Will be down 4-13 July. Hoping to maybe hit Buggs for a day.

Who has been doing the lower units?
    Semper Fi

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    That is great. I was at lake over weekend too. Putting some new graphs on boat so did not get out to fish. Took parents out on pontoon Sunday.

I have not fished up lake towards 85 any. Need to. Will be down 4-13 July. Hoping to maybe hit Buggs for a day.

Who has been doing the lower units?
    Mare is doing my LU. Charles is a great mechanic. I will be back down to the lake the 2nd-6th. I am hoping to have my boat back by then. I am going to be pissed if I don't. Have you fished Roanoke rapids? You need to try there. Great lake!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

11. Member
    I have never been on that body of water. Might have to try that.
    Semper Fi

You're in good hands with Charles. I would certainly question why or how you have had so many issues.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

13. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Way to go Roger!
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

14. Member
    Nice catch. Have they been rebuilding lower unit or complete replacement. If they are just rebuilding it, the housing must be bad , even tho it looks good.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Nice catch. Have they been rebuilding lower unit or complete replacement. If they are just rebuilding it, the housing must be bad , even tho it looks good.
    Just rebuilding it. I am going to try it one more time. If there is a next time a complete LU is going on it. That is going to be a fight for sure.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx