Minn Kota Fortrex Question

This weekend during a tournament I struck a rock with my Fortrex. I don’t think the prop was touched. But nose cone definitely hit. When I went to use the motor it wouldn’t come on. Because it was a pretty important tournament I had to try to get it working. I put some vice grips on the prop shaft and was able to get it to turn. When I used it the noise was horrible but it worked, I’m sure scaring all fish in the area. Miraculously after a couple of hours of clanking it went back to normal and was quite. I’m going to get it worked on but what could happened? And how much damage did I do by using it? Can you recommend anyone in Central Texas?

2. Member
    You probably broke off part of a magnet in the motor,it can be repaired.

3. Member
    I would recommend Jones Trolling Motors. They’re in Texarkana. Good guys there.

If the skeg was twisted a lot it could bind up and or make noises, if the skeg moves by hand at all you just have to line up with the shaft and tighten up the two bolts behind the prop.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    I agree with the broken magnet theory. I had it happen once. Hit it on a stump, made noise and went away. Found a small piece of magnet broken off.
    2019 Phoenix 819, 200 HP Mercury Pro Xs.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scream_n_chicken View Post
    I agree with the broken magnet theory. I had it happen once. Hit it on a stump, made noise and went away. Found a small piece of magnet broken off.
    Did you have it repaired or run it like that?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If the skeg was twisted a lot it could bind up and or make noises, if the skeg moves by hand at all you just have to line up with the shaft and tighten up the two bolts behind the prop.
    I never noticed this while in the boat but your right. The skeg is twisted. If I just twist and tighten it up do I need to get a new seal kit? Should I still have it opened up to check it out.

8. Member
    I got everything lined up and it’s quite as new. My main question now is should I still have it worked on and how do I know it’s sealed. Is just tightening the bolts down enough?

How old is it? The sections of the motor are sealed with o-rings. After time...they take the shape of the sealing surface (not an o shape). If they are moved or repositioned they can leak water into the motor...Its a chance you take. If its a newer trolling motor they are more pliable than an older tm.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

10. Member
    It’s three years old.

11. Member
    Pull it apart and take a look. Parts are quick and reasonable from Northland Marine.https://northlandmarine.com/collections/center-housings

Time for a new Ultrex
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.