Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    ok, is a crank shaft seal a big job??? I assume its not much harder than doing a power head gasket? I replaced my power head gasket about 2 years ago. Is there anything else that i can check before i pull the power head off.

2. Member
    On a scale from 1-10 ( 1 being none, 10 being a sure thing) what do you think my chances of finding something CATASTROPHICALLY BAD are??????? Is this kinda of a common problem????? The metal shavings are a pretty scary thought!

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by e2jigs View Post
    Attachment 413933that is the correct gear case right????

That's the correct gearcase. And no, I don't think what you're seeing has anything, whatsoever, to do with the gearcase.

Really need to pull the powerhead and inspect. Remove the lower seal cap... and INSPECT FOR ANY SIGNS OF METAL IN THE CAP, OR THE SEALS, OR THE LOWER CRANK BEARING.

Inspect the adapter plate and the mounts/clamp for signs of damage. If you're lucky, it may simply be an oil leak running across failing/fatigued/damaged components and carrying the pulverized aluminum along with it.

Not going to try putting "odds" on this one... need to simply determine what the REAL situation is.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    ok, will do, thank you very much. Again this page is a life saver.

5. Member
    worst case scenario, i assume. So this is what i found when i pulled the end cap housing. IMG_0698.jpgIMG_0698.jpg

Is there any chance i can pull that retaining ring and pull the old bearing out and slide a new one in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha fingers crossed.

Also, does that mean the whole crank shaft has been getting lubed with metal filled oil this whole time, or is there a filter someplace.

6. Member
    The case needs split to change that bearing properly. It's not likely that all the bearings have been getting "metal filled oil". The oil delivery is spot placed by individual oil lines. There are filters on the compressor oil lines that you should replace.

7. Member
    oh, boy, I assume this is a job that should be done by a professional??? seems like it would be very very complicated

8. Member
    Also??? does anyone have any idea how much a job like this would cost to have done???? Should i just be looking at getting a new power head???

9. Member
    If the lower crank bearing and seal are the ONLY issues fixing them will certainly be cheaper than a new powerhead. I am not even an amateur level mechanic and I did the lower crank seal on my own (with much advice from Don, Joe, and Savage) and it was relatively easy but if the case needed to be split I personally wouldn’t attempt it.

10. Member
    No unfortunately the actual bearing is bad. Its going to a machine shop to hopefully get fixed!!!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not sure why you're sending it to a machine shop... that's a job for a technician, unless the bearing has actually spun in the case.

Pretty straightforward to replace the bearing- but as stated earlier the case has to be split, surfaces cleaned, bearing replaced, seals replaced, primer and gel-sealant applied and properly reassembled/retorqued with new case bolts.

I would also recommend checking the oil delivery port/fitting on the block to make certain that it is not restricted.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    I dropped if off at the Outboard Guy. He is in East Palestine OH. He seemed like he really knows what hes talking about. Fingers Crossed!!!!! On a side note. Is this a common problem? and is 700+ hrs on a motor make it basically a ticking time bomb?????

13. Member
    Crank seal is common, I’ve never personally seen the bearing fail. See loads of engines with 700+ hours so as long as no additional problems are identified I see no reason not expect the same reliability after the repair as you had before the repair.

14. Member
    I dropped if off at the Outboard Guy. He is in East Palestine OH. He seemed like he really knows what hes talking about. Fingers Crossed!!!!! On a side note. Is this a common problem? and is 700+ hrs on a motor make it basically a ticking time bomb?????
    A Bad lower crank bearing taking out the oil seal is not what I would consider a "common problem". Better find out why the bearing failed! A "common problem" is debris stuck in the thermostats from plowing fields, while attempting to run an outboard in shallow water......now that's common.

15. Member
    i hope the guy i took it to will be able to tell me why it failed! i would like to think that i am extremely careful about my motor. I ALWAYS ALWAYS let it warm up and even after long runs i let it cool down. hahaha I have had many weird looks form co-anglers wondering why i let the motor idle for a bit after a long run, and why i don't just romp on it as soon as i start it up. I always pay very close attention to water pressure and temp of the motor. i hope i didn't do anything wrong, im just trying to learn as much about these things as i can!!!

16. Member
    I have had many weird looks form co-anglers wondering why i let the motor idle for a bit after a long run, and why i don't just romp on it as soon as i start it up. I always pay very close attention to water pressure and temp of the motor.
    You're wiser than your co-anglers.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12