Lake of the woods Decatur

Will be vacationing at a house on Lake of the Woods near Decatur Michigan with the family. I am bringing my boat can’t find much info on fishing that lake. Does anyone have any general info? Also if there is any other lakes near. There (within 40 min drive) That I should check out for a day? Thanks for any help

Bill

2. Member
    I have not fished Lake of the Woods. But not too far away I have been on Fish lake( which is 3 lakes in 1), Gravel lake & Cedar lake. All three of those can be good. I personally like Fish if one lake is not hot run up the channel and hit one of the others. Also in the morning the channels hold fish as well but later in the day too much boat traffic to stay in there.

3. Member
    Thanks for the tip

4. Member
    Just looked at the Fish lake chain on google earth, looks interesting I will plan a day or morning there at least. thanks again

5. Member
    Your welcome, catch some big ones

6. Member
    Is the resaurant on that lake any good?

7. Member
    I have a house on lake of the woods . Lots of small bass.good walleye.big crappie.big bluegill. Lot of speedboat and pontoon going on.
    2015 189 trx

8. Member
    I
    Last edited by z7extreme; 06-26-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    2015 189 trx

9. Member
    how are the big blue gill and crappie caught in the summer. Might have to try for a fish fry

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjovan View Post
    Is the resaurant on that lake any good?
    Yes, but it isn't cheap.

As mentioned Fish, which is connected to Finch and Saddlebag is good, lots of variety of cover to fish. I live on Gravel, I would go elsewhere, numbers are good but size is underwhelming.

Maple Lake in Paw Paw is a small reservoir that's not bad.

Hit me up if you have any other questions, I've lived in the area for 30yrs.

11. Member
    Deep north end of lake on bemoth or crickets. Crappie on minnows 12 15 ft
    2015 189 trx

12. Member
    What is bemoth?

13. Member
    Quick question. Are those lakes clear? What kind of cover will they have? Trying to figure out what kind of tackle to pack for the week.

14. Member
    Quick question. Are those lakes clear? What kind of cover will they have? Trying to figure out what kind of tackle to pack for the week.

They are mostly clear , if I had to rank them clearest - Gravel, Cedar, Lake of the Woods, Fish(Finch, Saddlebag). The cover will mostly be submerged grass, lilly pads, reeds.

If you feel like pm'ing me your number I can text you some pictures from a SW Mich map guide I have. The write ups are a bit dated but the maps are still good

One other thing, most of the lakes around here don't have a ton of parking. You may want to check out the tournaments schedule here before heading out.
    http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/fishingtournaments/

15. Member
    heading North tomorrow morning with our motley crew. Looking forward to the week. How has fishing been? Morning and evening fish most days fun and sun during the day. How are the resturants in the area handling the whole covid thing? We will cook at the house mainly but might want to go out one night.

16. Member
    There are 13 of us.

17. Member
    We had a great week. Fished in the morning with my nephew caught plenty no size but enough to keep us interested. Wacky rigged senko ruled the week. Thanks for the information

18. Member
    We had a great week. Fished in the morning with my nephew caught plenty no size but enough to keep us interested. Wacky rigged senko ruled the week. Thanks for the information