Champlain first timer

Headed up north to fish Champlain for first time. Been studying, reading, watch videos, etc for a month. Any up to date help would be greatly appreciated. Curious about water temp, level and if everything is post spawn or not? staying in Plattsburgh, advice on ramps and launches would be helpful too.

I am going to be up in plattsburgh tomorrow thru sat.
    Do not stay at the days inn on rt 9.
    Place has been going down hill the.last couple years.
    A good ramp is.chazy river , there is another one south of crazy I can'think of its name is a.good one. PM

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmc19057 View Post
    A good ramp is.chazy river , there is another one south of crazy I can'think of its name is a.good one. PM
    Really appreciate it. I'm hoping the lack of response to my question is because people are catching fish, LOL. We'll be in a 19ft. Tracker. Maybe i'll see you up there. We're going Thursday thru Sunday.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    heard its been seeing way beyond normal amount of boat traffic, but arent all the lakes

5. Member
    Just got back from a week up there on Friday. Water temps have been rising with the hot temps. I got there on the 14th and water was 57 - 59 on main lake. Left last Friday and water jumped to 68 -70 on main lake and was up to 73 in protected bays. There were smallmouth on beds everywhere. We were catching 40-50 per day. There were also lots of cruising smallmouth in the shallows that were not easy to catch. Largemouth were taking topwater and moving baits. Smallmouth were in all stages, some pre-spawn, on beds and post spawn. Many of the beds last week had 2 fish on them.
    Water is about 3 feet low. The ramp at Wilcoxson has a steep drop off at the end of the cement and I didn't have enough room to launch. Dock street is very low - I went out on the TM and came in on the TM but hit something on the way in. Water in that cove was very dirty and never saw what I hit but it chipped the TM prop and scratched the shaft. Point Au Roche is where I launched most days and had plenty of water. Had a great week with lots of fish and the biggest chop on the water was a foot. Most days was flat calm or just a ripple. Have fun - you'll catch lots.

6. Member
    really appreciate the report. sounds encouraging. we're hoping our Navionics map helps us navigate. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmc19057 View Post
    Wanted to correct my post.
    Super 8 on rt 9 is the motel to avoid, not days inn.
    We arrived yesterday very windy ,waves,on the lake, rainy this morning, waiting for it to blow over.
    We are in microtel motel very nice.
    The other ramp is point rouse ramp.
    Paul

8. Tony C
    Sent pm
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

9. Member
    Water is low be careful