Drop shot mold issue

I have the Do-It drop shot mold in the cylinder style. Owned it for a couple years now and made quite a few dropshot weights for myself and others. Never had a problem til recently, I have all I can do to make a weight. Now my lead is coming out all stringy inside the mold. I've don't usually fill my Lees melting pot up to high and I've been put putting good lead in there. What gives? Any suggestions?

Might want to check the pour spout on your Lee pot. Over time the lead will tend to oxidize and create some rust in the pot. Over time, this will reduce the flow of your bottom pour pot. Because it takes some time, it’s insidious and you don’t notice it except when you don’t get good results anymore.
    With your gloves on, put a Pyrex cup or tin can under the pour spout, open it up and with a small hook straightened and bent 90 degrees or other small diameter small wire, probe the pour spout to reopen it. You will know when it’s better because you will see the volume of lead flowing out increase. That’s the quickest fix. I have disassembled my pot and cleaned it but try to avoid doing it because it takes more time and usually want to make baits if I’m messing with the pot. Might want to flux a bit too. That will help your pour.

3. Member
    Are you using lead that you have cleaned, or just dropping in the lead pot? Always use lead that you have fluxed and skimmed before trying to pour with it. Take a paper clip and make an L shape. Now stick it in the pour spout several times. (use pliers) and see if the lead starts to come out better. Sounds like you would be better off to remove it from the pot and start over.