Thread: Axiom +

Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar

Axiom +

Just released

2. Member
    Didnt see improved imaging mentioned, or sonar recording. bummer.
    Last edited by Chief Brody; 06-23-2020 at 09:05 PM.

3. Member
    No mention of Hypervision...
    Saltwater fluff - no meat...

Another reason FLIR is looking to sell off Raymarine. What a shame. Great products with poor leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Didnt see improved imaging mentioned, or sonar recording. bummer.

4. Member
    Same product, new wrapper?

Frustrating.

5. Member
    I think they make great products...the problem is that I was hired there as the Freshwater Sales Manager. 4 years later, 95% of the FW Pro’s were let go and I moved to Marketing as Pro Staff Manager. 1 year later that position was eliminated and I was gone. Less than 6 months later, FLIR Annual Report came out and Raymarine sales were way off and FLIR announced they were looking to sell Raymarine.

Add to that that another thread has guys telling someone to “fix an A Series unit” because it’s the best Raymarine made. That unit was discontinued roughly 5 years ago. Compared to the competition and advances made, if you peaked 5 years ago, you’re in trouble.

Again, I great products, just don’t want to see guys get fooled into thinking that Raymarine cares about FW.

6. Member
    Ya, I didnt know all of that ^ but it was pretty obvious they werent going to stay interested in freshwater stuff. I would have thought both sold decent, though

I love both my Element and Axiom, but they need a couple extra features to stay competitive. Would love it if the Element could record sonar to play back later like Lowrance and Humminbird have. The Axiom can mirror to the phone or tablet to record, but it needs Hypervision desperately, and not at a $1K add-on.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Curt, your kind of hard to follow!! When you where with Raymarine you where constantly supporting and bragging on Raymarine. Now since you left there lucky to be in business!! Didn’t realize how much of an impact you had on the product!!

Did Raymarine lose a little sensitivity with Axiom, Yes. They still have the best CS and all around units that I have ever used. The operating system is fast and easy to use. Hopefully with the + they have improved the side and down like they had before. But to each there own!!

So now that BPR is getting out of the 2 strokes outboards, what’s your plan??

8. Member
    Hickory - you DO NOT want to go down this road...

I was the last person at Raymarine that cared at all about Freshwater. If you don’t believe me, ask any of the 25+ Pro’s I had to fire.

Raymarine was sucking before and after I was let go. I never said I had that much impact, but sales declines of 10%+ can’t be ignored. I can assure you that ignoring FW didn’t help them any.

You also can’t seriously tell anyone that Raymarine is making ANY improvements in FW...
    H = 360 Mega
    G = Panoptix and trolling motors
    L = StructureScan and trolling motors
    Ray = brighter screen for Axiom +

Really, come on...
    Raymarine has the ability to be great, but being based in the UK with engineers that work 40 hour weeks, a Director of Marketing that “hates talking to Pro’s” and upper management that just doesn’t get it, they aren’t getting anywhere fast.

You’ve camped on “10 year product support” since the day I added you to the Regional Pro Staff.

2019 Q4
    FLIR Systems Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results
    “...have entered into a formal process to evaluate divestiture of our Raymarine non-thermal maritime electronics business.”
    Commercial Business Unit
    The Commercial Business Unit recorded revenue of $354.4 million in 2019, down 10.1% from the prior year. Revenues were adversely affected by declines in the OTS, Maritime and Security businesses. This decline was partially offset by double-digit growth in ITS. 2019 operating income of $45.7 million and operating margin of 12.9%

2020 Q1
    Industrial Technologies Segment
    Industrial Technologies revenues for the quarter of $276.4 million increased by $5.0 million, or 1.9% compared to the prior year quarter. The revenue increase was primarily attributable to heightened demand for EST cameras as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, partially offset by lower volume in maritime products, security products and cooled cameras and components.

Regarding motors, I’ve said all along that customers didn’t hate 2 Stokes, they hated ETec and the roughly 25% failure or dealer warranty repair failure rate. BRP pumped $300M into fixing ETec and then walked away.

I don’t hate Raymarine, but I also don’t want anyone to be fooled by them.

Nothing personal, just the truth from someone who was there. .
    Last edited by Jig34; 06-28-2020 at 07:11 PM.

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    You just seemed to come across as TB with the no Fluff, same same, nothing new on Raymarine.

10. Member
    TB???

https://www.raymarine.com/multifunct...ys/axiom-plus/

Please tell me what’s new that matters to someone on BassBoatCentral.

I was all in with Raymarine and then they gave up on freshwater fishing. I’m not bashing them, I just don’t want guys thinking they care about FW. Go to The Hull Truth and be proud Of who you are, but don’t BS freshwater guys with “product support for 10 years” crap.

You didn’t work at Raymarine and you don’t know their business philosophy. Times change and Raymarine isn’t the company they were (or thought they wanted to be) when you and I met years ago. That doesn’t make me the bad guy - I’m just willing and able to call it what it is instead of holding on to a dream that Raymarine has abandoned.

11. Member
    Originally when I went with Raymarine the 10 year support kinda sold me. Now they're running repairs like Lowrance always has. For a grand, we'll upgrade you to our latest and greatest yada yada. My A128 was still under warranty and they said they had to save the screens for the retail warranty crowd. If anyone wants a 12 inch element HV complete barely used at a great price pm me. When my A's go out, I'll be going with Garmin as they're the closest I've found to actual fish returns.

12. Member
    Hickory - Raymarine today isn’t the Raymarine from 4, 5 or 6 years ago and you need to realize that.

I was hired at Raymarine June 2015 as National Sales Manager Retail Freshwater
    * 1 year in, “freshwater” dropped From my title and West Marine was now my largest account
    * 2 yrs in, no real changes and FW was an afterthought
    * 3 yrs in, my boss who lives FW was let go
    * 4 yrs in I moved to Pro Staff and fired 25+ FW Pro’s
    * 5 yrs in, sales off 10%+, my job eliminated, Raymarine for sale

You need to live in the present and not 2015. The company has changed and that’s OK. Holding on to what they ARE NOT isn’t OK.

13. Member
    Let’s not forget the FW “savior“ ELEMENT... I begged, pleaded and screamed for Raynet networking and it was dropped from the unit. Make no mistake, this was never a FW unit. It is for 17’-20’ center console coastal and bay boats. Networking with STng was an afterthought. But hey, you can run an autopilot or radar - features that guys on here really need...

I’ll also throw in the connections and proposal I had that would have resulted in easily $3-5M in annual sales to the fastest growing segment of fishing - KAYAK. That was seen as “FW” and ignored.

Hard to see a company with double digit sales declines ignoring $3-5M. Maybe you’re right and “Didn’t realize how much of an impact I had on the product”!!

Regarding this thread, I think you should listen to the great Kenny Rogers and “
    Know when to fold 'em”.

14. Member
    My Element showed actual fish on side image better than any unit I had used up to that point. Lowrance 3n1 and 3d, Garmin UHD, and Humminbird 1st gen Mega. I thought Ray’s engineers/programmers figured something out that the others hadnt yet.

Now I have an HB Mega+ and although I dont have a lot of time with it yet, im assuming it will surpass the Element in the above case. Add improved 2d, sonar recording playback on a PC, and Mega360 theres not much of a reason to cling to the Element.

Its a bummer.

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    TroyBoy!! Not going to go on and on here about whats the best, compaing High Chirp Q and all that!!!
    This was a simple post of the New Axiom +. Like anything else in Merica, Don't like it, don't buy it and move on!!!

16. Member
    Talk about hard to follow...you are all over the place.
    You are correct, this is Merica and people aren’t buying it.
    Also, unlike TroyBoy, I’m not comparing Q values. In fact, there’s nothing new from Raymarine to compare to.

You don’t get my point and I’m not surprised.

17. Member
    Whos Troyboy? Me?

Yes, you posted about their new Axiom... so we’re discussing it. The fact that it isnt offering much new with it is part of the discussion.

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    TroyBoy is a guy that use to be on here that argued over everything Curt would post about RM and kept saying all fluff, nothing new, RM is just playing catchup to everyone else.

19. Member
    Hickory, you are totally missing the point. TB said that when Raymarine came out with the FIRST 4-in-1 transducer, 3D and the FIRST Quad core processor. Those were great innovations years ago...increased screen brightness is fluff.

I guess we’ll just agree to disagree and you can continue motoring 1 or 2 posts a month on here for the “10 year product support” line.

I’m out...

20. Member
    Still no innovation. Shame.