Birge's boat fire?

Any word on the cause of Zack's boat fire - https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2020...fter-boat-fire
    A few years back Chris Lane had his boat catch fire that I think they traced to a faulty charge. Glad nobody was hurt and they caught in time to save the vehicles and salvage most of his gear. Thankfully it didn't occur while inside a house garage. r/, Richard
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

2. Member
    Looks like he uses K2 Energy lithium batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Looks like he uses K2 Energy lithium batteries.
    Where did you see that? His webpage has that he is sponsored by Optima Batteries.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Where did you see that? His webpage has that he is sponsored by Optima Batteries.
    Just a google search. I did not note the date. It could have easily been an older article, and I just didn't notice.

Yup, that was 2016.

5. Banned
    I just don't know why people think that boat lithium batteries explode. Could someone point me to an article where a battery with this technology has exploded, in a boat. Is completely different technology compared to laptops and cell phones, if I remember reading correctly. And there are lots of conversations on BBC and the inner web about this technology also. I personally am not aware of any lithium boat battery ever exploding. I know lots of ppl that run them in there boats, including myself

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    I just don't know why people think that boat lithium batteries explode. Could someone point me to an article where a battery with this technology has exploded, in a boat. Is completely different technology compared to laptops and cell phones, if I remember reading correctly. And there are lots of conversations on BBC and the inner web about this technology also. I personally am not aware of any lithium boat battery ever exploding. I know lots of ppl that run them in there boats, including myself
    You may not be personally aware, but have you googled: "lithium boat battery explode" or "lithium boat battery fire" ?

7. Banned
    Like I said, I am not aware of a Relion, Ionic, Banshee or other 12, 24 or36 volt battery exploding, in a boat nor solar fields, where they are used also. Only cell and lap top battery's which is different build design and technology. Good chat though

8. Member
    Mike Surman's boat burned on Okeechobee as well. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=932675
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

9. Member
    I'm wondering whether its more charger related than batteries? Does Lithium's require a special charger?
    Could also be wiring? Battery connection. Anything that could bypass a breaker or fuse.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Member
    +1 here. Most external chargers have venting and many a cooling fan. Most boat chargers have neither, thus no good way to dissipate heat. Add that to a closed compartment and batteries also getting hot from charging, and it's not good. I always block my lids partially open when charging.